Hyrum Music Lessons
Looking for private in-home or in-studio lessons? Our Hyrum teachers are ready to get you started. Find your teacher today!
Search for a teacher
Schedule your lessons
Connect with your teacher
Zero travel time is great for a busy schedule.
Typically priced lower than local lessons.
Online students stick with lessons as long as local students.
As a Pianist, In 2006 Paul was a prizewinner at the Music Club of Douglaston Piano Competition. For two consecutive years, Paul was awarded The Suffolk County Piano Forum Prize. XLNT Music recently wrote, “Paul is a fine pianist that performs with superb pianism and great sensitivity.” His recent public performances include Ecuador South America, Steinway Hall NYC, The United Nations, Faust Harrison Hall, Saint Peters NYC and The Staller Center. Paul has performed with The Stony Brook Symphony Orchestra and The New York University Symphony Orchestra. He has studied with well-known piano teachers including: Martin Canin, Morey Ritt, Tina Dahl, and Anita Gelber. In 2011 he released a record consisting of his performance of original compositions for solo piano that is available in bookstores and on iTunes.
As a composer Paul has composed music for the feature film Documentary Between the Shades, directed by Jill Salvino and premiered at the Soho International Film Festival in 2017. In 2014, Paul was the composer for the radio show Ackerman Associates Meets Dracula written and directed by Peter Stass. In 2014 he wrote the score for, Lies People Tell, a short film that premiered at the san pedro film festival. In 2011, he released his first solo record Succession of images, a song cycle for solo piano. In 2017, he released his second record Hope, a chamber music work recorded with clarinetist Thomas Piercy and Violinist Patrisa Tomassini. Recent public piano performances of his music include Ecuador in South America, Steinway Hall NYC, The United Nations, Spectrum NYC, Faust Harrison Hall, Saint Peters in NYC and The Staller Center in Stony Brook NY.
As an artist, Paul is known for creating large instillations, paintings and live performing art pieces. From 2014-2016, he was the artist in residence at Spectrum Gallery in NYC. In 2014, he completed the Elevator Time Machine, a large instillation made of elevator parts that responds to sound. He also wrote and produced a 20 minute live art piece called Static in Movement for piano and video. His acrylic on canvas works have also been presented at Spectrum NYC, The Art Bar, The Gallery at Logos and Ward-Nasse gallery.
Education New York University
Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
Piano Performance. M.A. December 2008
Stony Brook University
Music. B.A. 2006
Private Music Studio: 2004-present
Instructor for piano, voice and composition; working primarily with students K-12.
• Develop individualized music plans that encourages growth and self motivated study.
• Well equipped to prepare students for the New York State Music Association Exam.
• Expertise guiding students to reach their maximum potential by using assignments that are challenging but not impossible.
• Experience preparing students for music college applications and auditions.
• Successfully prepare student recitals on a yearly basis.
• Effectively communicate with parents and engage them in their child’s music education.
Performing Arts Center of New York: 2013
• Developed and delivered a curriculum connecting the major composers and artists of the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionistic and Contemporary Periods.
Cultural House of Ecuador: 2009-2011
• Created and taught classes about the periods in music and art and how they coexist together.
• Created and taught group classes in beginner music theory and composition.
High School students in Quevedo Ecuador: 2012
• Created and taught workshops in music theory and composition.
Adjunct Instructor at New York University: 2007-2009
Instructor for New York University Keyboard Harmony and Improvisation courses.
• Created and taught a curriculum for beginner, intermediate and advanced keyboard classes.
• Created lesson plans to enhance musicality and keyboard skills for university music major and minor students.
Instructor for New York University private piano students
• Instructed music students in beginner, intermediate and advanced piano.
Our Lady of Angelus Catholic School: 2007
• Created and taught a curriculum in beginner piano to elementary school students.
• Prize Winner, TMMC Piano Competition, 2007
• Award of Honor, The Suffolk County Piano Teachers Forum Prize In recognition of outstanding achievement in piano performance, 2006
• Award of Honor, The Suffolk County Piano Teachers Forum Prize
In recognition of outstanding achievement in piano performance, 2005
• Suffolk Piano Teacher’s Forum
• College Music Society
• Music Teacher’s National Association
• American Composers Forum
• Steinway and Sons
• American Society of Composers
• Tuesday Morning Music Club
• Anita Gelber, 2002-2012
• Martin Canin, New York University, 2006-2008
• Justin Dello Joio, New York University, 2007-2008
• Morey Ritt, Queens College, 2006
• Tina Dahl, Stony Brook University, 2004-2006
Selected Recent Concert Performances
• Westport Library, Connecticut, NY, 2016
• Douglaston Community Church, Douglaston, NY, 2015
• All Saints Memorial Church, NJ, 2014
• Firehouse Space, Brooklyn, NY, 2014
• Spectrum NYC, New York, NY, 2014, 2013
• Steinway Hall, New York, NY, 2014, 2013, 2012
• University of Quevedo, Ecuador, 2013
• Saint Peters Church, New York, NY, 2011
Selected Film and Theater Composer Credits
• Between the Shades – Feature Film Documentary, 2016
• Lies People Tell – Short Film, 2014
• Ackerman and Associates Meet Dracula – Live Radio Show, 2013
• Magical Quark Particle – Science Art Film, 2012
• Hope, 2017
• Succession of Images, 2011
Recent Art Expositions
• Spectrum NYC, 2014-2016
• Gallery at Logos, 2012-2016
• Port Jefferson Village Center, 2012
• Ward Nasse Gallery, 2011
*** Lesson Details ***
My goal as a teacher is to make students successful in their goals. I work with a variety of people; some of them study music for personal enjoyment and others for their musical career. Everyone responds differently to music, that is why I prepare special lessons for each student. It is important that my students enjoy what they are playing and for that reason I have a variety of repertoire that they can choose from.
From a lot of experience with beginner piano students, both young and adults, I have been able to find a regimen of piano teaching that combines time efficiency with fun. As the lessons continue, I slowly add new tools to each weekly lesson that are exiting and interesting. While working with intermediate to advanced students, I have had coached them to apply and get accepted into some of the top Universities and Conservatories in the country. My students, beginner intermediate and advanced levels, have been awarded for their performances and activities in schools and competitions.
I am also a composition teacher. I work with composition students from beginner to advance. My composition students, over the years, range from all ages starting at 7. My students, after the first year, have been able to write string quartets and piano trios. My advanced students have entered competitions all over the country and are very successful in their composition practice. Some of their compositions have been performed in famous concert halls and schools.
As a vocal coach, I work with students of all ages. The repertoire that I recommend to beginner students includes Disney, Broadway and classical music. For intermediate and advanced vocal student, I have successfully prepared them for competitions, Broadway and University auditions as well as personal enjoyment.
Most recently I held a piano, composition and vocal recital for my students at the world famous Steinway Hall in New York City. I believe that some students work better when there is motivation for performance activities. For that reason I host these type of events. Students that decide they want to take place in these events perform among all levels. I offer these performance opportunities as an invitation. Each student has a choice as to whether they would like to perform.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Yamaha Grand Piano
*** Specialties ***
*Teachers classified as a Student Favorite have taught a minimum of 25
lessons and have received the highest feedback rating from students.Classical, Jazz, Blues, Broadway
· Piano · In studio
· Piano · In home
· Piano · In studio
As a teacher, I draw on my professional experience as an actor and singer, my teaching background in myriad subjects (Feldenkrais, Music Together, general music, theatre, yoga, fitness, literature, etc.), and my eclectic training in acting, classical voice, musical theatre, various methods of body work, and healing.
I strive to create a working environment where students feel safe to take risks, learn to challenge themselves, and find increased joy and freedom in expression. Self-awareness/body
Though I have a long background in performing arts and performing arts education, my teaching philosophies and techniques draw primarily from my study of movement and mindfulness through disciplines such as yoga, and especially the Feldenkrais Method, "a remarkable approach to human movement, learning and change... based on sound principles of physics, neurology and physiology, and the conditions under which the nervous system learns best." (The Feldenkrais Institute, NY, NY, 2013).
- Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement Teacher
- Feldenkrais Practitioner Training Program certification in process
- Bachelor of Music, Highest Honors, SUNY Binghamton
- Professional singing in the US and Europe
- Professional acting throughout the US, theater and film (member of SAG-AFTRA and AEA)
- 100+ hours of YA approved yoga teacher training
- Eclectic studies in voice and body work (Linklater, Sound Healing, various dance styles, Kinetic Awareness, Tai Chi, Beijing Opera techniques)
- Kids/family music teacher certified by Music Together (an amazing, international, research-based program)
- Teaching artist (opera, chorus, musical theater, acting/improv, mindfulness) at schools around NYC - Bronx High School for Law and Finanace, PS 129, Yorkville East MS, Baruch MS, Anderson MS, PS 3
- Former fitness instructor
Finding mastery in practices of music, acting, and mindfulness have core similarities - when you find your flow, it feels like flying. But we have to start from the ground up. The stronger the foundation, the higher you fly. Let's get started!
Notes on teaching locations:
- HOME STUDIO: For a number of reasons, I prefer to teach at my home studio whenever possible. I have two friendly cats - hope you aren't allergic!
- ONLINE: For some students, online lessons are very effective, but for others, it is imperative to meet in person. So if you would like to try online lessons, please message me first to discuss,
· Meditation · In studio
· Singing · In studio
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio
View Full Profile
As a soloist, my recent performances include my Artist Diploma recital with Byron Shenkman (harpsichord) and Janet See (baroque flute), the Bach's Lunch concert series with Henry Lebedinsky (harpsichord, organ), and th
· Audition Prep · In studio
*** Lesson Details ***
Lessons are very relaxed and we will focus on ways to practice and getting the student to learn what he/she wants. Some people just want to come and learn a few tunes, some want to really learn the instrument and practice all the time. It all depends on the individual and I`m more than ready to adapt for each one of my students with the methods I have.
On our first class we will spend some time discussing what are the goals of the student and I will formulate a good plan so we can reach those goals in no time
I usually have 3 main paths that the student can choose.
1st - Learn the instrument enough so you can play your favorite songs and have fun with friends.
2nd(most requested) - Learn the instrument from scratch. Study technique, repertoire, a little of reading and music theory and learn how to improvise. This will allow the person to have their own tools to study on their own after attending classes with me.
3rd - Usually people who have been playing before like this one. We will go deep in music theory, ear training, reading, improvising and technique. Always leaning challenging tunes that will develop the student skills. This one allows the student to follow a professional path on the future, or maybe go into a music college.
Classes can take place at my studio or at your own location with an extra fee for transportation.
*Under 18 students
For children under 18 parents are more than welcome to stay for the classes, tell me if there is any specific goal you are looking for or talk about any subject that you might want.
I also help people to prepare for auditions. For this subject, I will tell you how to get ready for an audition. If you are trying to get in a college I have many contacts around the country and know how most auditions work and can help you with any question there might be. For auditions for orchestras or band we can work on repertoire and behavior to get you ready and all set to get accepted.
· Bass Guitar · In studio
· Music Theory · In home
· Bass Guitar · In home
View Full Profile
In the evenings, I have a full schedule of private events and weddings. During the day, I enjoy sharing what I know with students of all ages and backgrounds. My passion is music, and I would love the chance to help you learn and fall in love with playing music as well.
During the first lesson, I like to talk with you about your goals and how you learn best. I always tailor my lessons to the needs
I have several options of standard coursework we can follow if a weekly plan is best. Otherwise, I enjoy following the student's lead and spending our time together on what you would like to work on.
If you are looking for a teacher who will inspire you to reach your best potential as a musician, who will make learning a fun and rewarding experience, please reach out to me and let's start playing.
· · In home
View Full Profile
"I started teaching private music lessons my senior year of high school, in 2006. Since then I've taught over 50 different students of all ages from 3 years old to 61 years old. While still living in Ohio, I was the one and only official guitar teacher for Guitar Center Youngstown through the duration of 2008-2009. In late 2009, after moving to Los Angeles, I continued to teach privately all around the city. I currently live in West Hollywood with my wife and dog. I plan to continue teaching private students for the rest of my life."
View Full Profile
In High School I finally did manage to play in a band that would play shows in the Greater Rochester Area in New York State. Once I hit age 18, I packed my bags and moved to San Diego where I continued working on my craft and started my new life.
I never stopped playing music, writing songs, and trying to find people to collaborate with. By the time I started my career as a hairstylist, I knew that I had to share my love and passion for music with others and endeavored to build a student schedule.
My first students, as an adult, were my future in-laws. Mother, father and si
Within a year, I had enough referrals to fill 2 days of the week with students. I have held 3 recitals and plan on having a holiday recital this year.
I will never stop sharing music with others and look forward to meeting any new students granted via this platform.
· Classical Piano · In home
· Piano · In home
Are you looking for some Christmas piano songs to play during the holidays? Below, piano teacher Liz T. shares 15+ Christmas piano songs for beginners... The holidays are just around the corner. Whether you have a holiday piano recital coming up or you simply want to entertain guests, now is a great time to start learning how to play Christmas songs on the piano. Below are 15+ popular Christmas piano songs that you can add to your repertoire. The majority of these Christmas piano song … Read More