•The styles I teach most often are jazz, classical and popular. Although I have studied many different genres, my specialties are saxophone and composition. I have studied with music teachers such as Anthony Braxton, Herb Pomeroy, Charlie Banacos, Jerry Bergonzi, Gary Burton, Joe Viola, Ken Pullig, John LaPorta, Hal Crook, James Newton and Ken Radnofsky. If you are enrolled by October, you have the opportunity to enroll in MTAC Certificate of Merit and Composer's Today programs and recitals.
•9/1997 – Present San Lorenzo (CA) Unified School District Independent Music Teacher 9/1990 11/19
97 St. Felicitas School San Leandro, CA St. John School Fiat School of Music Music Unlimited San Lorenzo, CA Pinole, CA San Leandro, CA Provide individual and group music instruction to people from age 3 to 99. Deliver instruction based on Music Teachers National Association Certificate of Merit Curriculum for Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet and Piano. Incorporate Jazz Improvisation, Theory and Harmony lessons
• Listed in Who’s Who Among International Professional Educators. • Listed in Who’s Who in American Education • Listed in Who’s Who Among American Women • Listed in Who’s Who in America • Six Lessons published in • Recognition for Self-Assembly Method Instructional Design Theory • Published article in OnCUE, Journal of Computer Using Educators
• Krause Center of Innovation 2005-2006 EWYL Cohort Participant • Krause Center of Innovation 2006-2007 EWYL Fellows Participant • Iisme (Industry Initiatives for Science and Math Education) Fellow 2004: Intranet Web Designer at Applied Materials using Macromedia Dreamweaver and Contribute • Alameda County Representative to the CTAP Technology Leadership Academy at the Alameda County Office of Education (2000). Co-leader of Staff Development Program for Grade 4-8 Technology Integration • Taught University of Phoenix class for Technology Integration • IMTC class teacher in FrontPage and MS Paint • Member San Lorenzo Unified School District Ed Tech Committee and Lorenzo Manor Elementary Ed Tech Committee. • Past District Web Page Coordinator and FrontPage Trainer • Participant in Intel Teach to the Future training • Provide opportunities for children to meet Technology Standards• Incorporate technology into the curriculum using desktops and wireless laptops, FL Studio, Cubasis VST 4.0, Music Ace, Band in a Box, Finale Notepad, Silver Burdett MIDI Connection, Windows Movie Maker, Microsoft Office Suite, recording and burning CDs, DVDs, etc. • Manage a High School Computer Music Lab. • MarcoPolo trainer.• Teach Music Technology classes after school for the Gifted and Talented (GATE Program).
• Member Music Educators National Conference • Member Technology Institute for Music Educators. Lesson plan published on their Web Site. • Member California Music Educators and present music technology sessions for educators at the Bay Section Conferences.
• Deliver instruction in the area of the curriculum pertaining to National and District Music Standards. • Create and implement lesson plans, rubrics and assessments. • Organize and produce Winter and Spring Concerts. • Experience working with children with challenging behaviors and disabilities (Special Day Class and Continuation School).
• Provide children with learning experiences that promote their cognitive, social and emotional development. • Experience in teaching students from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds. • Communicate with parents. Handle record-keeping of grades and attendance. • Work cooperatively with other education professionals.
• Organize and produce Winter and Spring Recitals, including County Recitals for the National Guild of Piano Teachers. Communicate with parents. Handle advertising and record-keeping of tuition payments. Vice-President of the Alameda County Branch of the Music Teachers Association of California. Attend Board meetings and plan guest speakers Licensed Kindermusik instructor for children ages 18 mos. to 7 years. Students chosen for State and County Honors Recitals. Listed in National Honor Roll, National Guild of Piano Teachers; Member Music Teachers National Association. Taught Undergraduate Musicianship class as a Graduate Assistant at Mills College.
•Professional Freelance Musician 9/1984 12/1995 Boston, MA; Bay Area, CA Performed own compositions and others works in various styles in innumerable local venues and clubs such as The Oakland Museum, Yerba Buena Gardens, The Valencia Café, Trans America Building, the Marriott Hotel, as well as in Las Vegas. She have performed with musicians such as Vijay Iyer, Anthony Braxton, MC Hammer, Luciana Souza, Lloyd Nibbs (Skatalites), Fred Lonberg-Holm, Andy Borger (Norah Jones), Stuart Popejoy, Aaron Stewart, Sheila Sofian, William Calhoun (Living Color), Sean Kennerly (Samiam) and Joey Cheezhee. CD Recording on Curious Pogos Records:Frederick Lonberg Holms Theory of Motion. Composed music on Sheila Sofians Animations Faith and Patience and Secret Rage. Won 15 awards in International and National Film Festivals. Broadcast on WHYY TV12 and WYBE TV35 Educational Stations. Honorable Mention in Composition: City of Oakland Creative Arts Fellowship. Live Performances on KPFA, KNBR and KALX radio stations.
•EDUCATION Ph.D. in Education (10/2013). Specialization in Professional Studies Capella University Teaching Credential: K-12 Single Subject Music 8/1999 Chapman University GPA 3.9 US-CA-Concord Master of Fine Arts degree in Electronic Music and Recording Media with an emphasis in Composition 5/1992 Mills College GPA 3.64 US-CA-Oakland Bachelor of Music degree in Jazz Composition and Arranging 5/1987 Berklee College of Music US-CA-Boston GPA 3.59 Cum Laude
*** Lesson Details *** I am interested in teaching you what you need and want to learn so that you achieve your dreams. Please note that I only take serious students who will practice at least 30 minutes every day or 35 a day 6 days a week at home. I would like you to keep a log of how much you practice. This will enable you to make progress through the curriculum as you will be a beginner for the first 3.3 years, an intermediate for the next 3.3 years, and then an advanced student for 3.3 years. I will give you assignments to do over the week, and the next week we will go over them, learn something new and get new assignments. It takes 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert!
*** Studio Equipment *** Currently I am converting my detached garage into a music studio with keyboard and instruments. There is a sitting room where parents can wait for their children. In the meantume, we will have lessons in my living/dining room.
*** Travel Equipment *** Metronome, CD Boom Box
*** Specialties *** Jazz, classical, popular, saxophone, composition, music, flute, clarinet, piano, violin, trumpet, trombone, french horn, tuba, baritone, oboe, songwriting, recording, children's music Composition Arranging Songwriting Reading and Notating Music Music Software such as FL Studio, Band in a Box, Reason and GarageBand. Bring your laptop to lessons! Music Theory Improvisation Minor Key Harmony Extended and Secondary Dominants Tritone Substitution Modal Interchange Altered Dominant Scale Diminished Harmony Non-Functional Harmony
Jennifer February 26, 2016
Maureen has improved my son Nate's trumpet playing immensely. Where before he had some difficulty hitting the high notes, and his playing was somewhat tentative, he now plays with greater confidence and in tune. I noticed his improvement shortly after he started being taught by Maureen - not only as he was going through the scales, but in all the songs he practices now. Being an improved player has had the effect of Nate practicing more now as well. Maureen has taught him the importance of practice, the discipline it takes to improve, and has really developed his interest in the instrument. All this is testament to Maureen's quality as an instructor. I highly recommend her!
Kelly W. June 23, 2014
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you Maureen for the piano lessons you have been giving to my mom.. It was so wonderful yesterday my brother and his family came to the house and mom played "Love Me Tender", of course by Elvis Presley.
It was a tear jerking moment.
Mom has had issues with her brain from a car accident, and her piano lessons with you have been the best, best thing for her....from our entire family,
Iyesha L. March 6, 2014
Family Music Teacher
We have enjoyed having Maureen as our familyâs music teacher. My son started taking flute lessons with Maureen in 2009 and advanced through the levels very quickly. He plays flute in YOSAC (Youth Orchestra of Southern Alameda County). He also plays saxophone and tried out and was selected for the Alameda County Honor Band. Maureen worked with him on jazz theory and improvisation and he plays in the jazz band at school. With Maureen, he worked through all six levels of Master Theory and is ready for the college level AP Music Theory at 14 years old. He also completed the MTAC (Music Teachersâ Association of California) Composerâs Today workbooks and used http://www.noteflight.com to write his own music and participate in composition contests. My daughter has been taking piano and violin lessons with Maureen and has been doing a great job. She is playing classical music on violin in school and in YOSAC (Youth Orchestra of Southern Alameda County). On piano she is learning to play the blues and jazz, as well as learning theory and composition. Both of my children have been able to successfully participate in the LaHonda Summer Music Camp. We have had a great experience with Maureen throughout the past 5 years and have enjoyed seeing her each week.
I have taught brass instruments for may years. On several occasion I was employed to teach all the brass instruments.
I have a BS in music education received at Lehman College, Bronx, NY. I am a professional musician/ composer/ arranger.I received my teaching credentials at SFSU and have been a General music teacher as well as a, band teacher. I have studied trumpet with Classical ( Wilmer Wise)and Jazz musician (Bill Hardman) and big band arranging with Frank Foster( saxophonist and arranger with Count Basie Band). At present I am retired and teaching privately.
I have been teaching music for over 50 years as well as being a professional musician/ composer and arranger. I not only know my fundamentals ins
ide and out, but also I know many tricks of the trade. Over the years I have developed special teaching techniques that enable students to make sense out of music and progress rapidly on their instruments.I love playing music and aim at stirring that same kind of excitement abut music in my students.
To each lesson I bring a unique mix, encouraging the student to pursue excellence and also have fun. I am well qualified to teach: woodwinds( oboe, flute, clarinet, all saxophones) brass(french horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba), and piano.
*** Lesson Details *** I make music interesting to learn. I encourage students to practice daily so they can improve. The more they improve the more fun they can have with music not only alone, but with others.
I am very patient with my students especially with beginners. I know that for them it is like learning a new language. Once they begin to increase their musical vocabulary, they will enjoy what they can do with music.
*** Studio Equipment *** Seating for parents, basement studio, piano, drum set
*** Travel Equipment *** Students should provide their own instruments.
Joseph L. August 24, 2016
In studio Verified Student
Just one lesson so far but Mack has me moving along with things to study and improve. He has a lot to offer and I very much appreciate his patience.
Billy O. August 18, 2016
In studio Verified Student
My son, 9, likes to learn from Mack - my son remembers what Mack told him to do and practice. This is quite a surprise for me considering how he dislikes teachers in general...
Raymond H. August 17, 2016
In home Verified Student
I had the pleasure of meeting and learning the trumpet with Mack. I must say for the small amount of time we had it was awesome.
Hello! I am a classically trained vocalist and percussionist, with a BA in Music, specializing in Education and Theory. I have taught band, choir, orchestra and piano in high school and middle school. I have also done Music Directing with kids aged 7-14 for various musicals and have taught elementary students aged 4-9, so I am ready for whatever you've got! I have also appeared on stage in various settings including opera, musical theater, solo work and even the occasional karaoke night. I am willing to work with your schedule and offer scholarships to those who are willing to earn them!
Grace July 7, 2016
In home Verified Student
First time my daughter has taken piano lessons and is loving it. She really likes working with Rebecca.
Greg June 20, 2016
In home Verified Student
Rebecca is very knowledgable. My son felt at ease with her, she knows her music. Thank goodness that I found her and there is no doubt in my mind that she will be able to help my child.
Kim Ho June 15, 2016
In home Verified Student
Rebecca was very welcoming & she made me feel comfortable right away. I'm really excited to work with her!
I came to love the tuba after playing it in New Orleans. Tuba can do tons of things a lot of people might not even realize. I play tuba in funk bands, brass bands, and R&B bands. I've had a lot of fun helping tuba players find music they can be passionate about and learn. The tuba can seem daunting, but doesn't have to be difficult.
I started my professional career in New Orleans right after high school. There, I learned about the history of jazz music and how it has evolved into music we listen to today. From that experience I met a family that was interested in my playing and hired me to go to Germany, where I taught a young trombone student for a month, discovering my passion for teaching. Teaching him taught me how to facilitate his passion, and help him grow technically and musically. After that I toured for a period with a Balkan band, learning eastern European techniques and styles. I have since played in funk band
s, reggae bands, bebop groups, and New Orleans style brass bands. This has given me a broad understanding of different types of music. I have been giving lessons for a couple years now and developed players who are brand new to an instrument, as well as fine tuning players to help achieve specific goals.
Richard D. March 23, 2016
In studio Verified Student
Shane is a good teacher, and not what I expected but I'm very happy. He is not using traditional sheet music or beginner's guides, but rather teaching me to play by learning the chords and scales so that I could eventually play the bass lines for a band, be it New Orleans jazz, jazz, klezmer, etc. I like that he teaches me a lot of this music "theory" and allows me to fill in where I need it in terms of learning scales and chords and fingerings on my own. My only complaint is that he seems to make it up as he goes along, a little preparation might be nice.
Kiley M. December 23, 2015
In home Verified Student
My 10 year old is enjoying learning the trumpet with Shane! Fun & talented instructor!