•The styles I teach most often are jazz, classical and popular. Although I have studied many different genres, my specialties are saxophone and composition. I have studied with music teachers such as Anthony Braxton, Herb Pomeroy, Charlie Banacos, Jerry Bergonzi, Gary Burton, Joe Viola, Ken Pullig, John LaPorta, Hal Crook, James Newton and Ken Radnofsky. If you are enrolled by October, you have the opportunity to enroll in MTAC Certificate of Merit and Composer's Today programs and recitals.
•9/1997 – Present San Lorenzo (CA) Unified School District Independent Music Teacher 9/1990 11/19
97 St. Felicitas School San Leandro, CA St. John School Fiat School of Music Music Unlimited San Lorenzo, CA Pinole, CA San Leandro, CA Provide individual and group music instruction to people from age 3 to 99. Deliver instruction based on Music Teachers National Association Certificate of Merit Curriculum for Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet and Piano. Incorporate Jazz Improvisation, Theory and Harmony lessons
• Listed in Who’s Who Among International Professional Educators. • Listed in Who’s Who in American Education • Listed in Who’s Who Among American Women • Listed in Who’s Who in America • Six Lessons published in • Recognition for Self-Assembly Method Instructional Design Theory • Published article in OnCUE, Journal of Computer Using Educators
• Krause Center of Innovation 2005-2006 EWYL Cohort Participant • Krause Center of Innovation 2006-2007 EWYL Fellows Participant • Iisme (Industry Initiatives for Science and Math Education) Fellow 2004: Intranet Web Designer at Applied Materials using Macromedia Dreamweaver and Contribute • Alameda County Representative to the CTAP Technology Leadership Academy at the Alameda County Office of Education (2000). Co-leader of Staff Development Program for Grade 4-8 Technology Integration • Taught University of Phoenix class for Technology Integration • IMTC class teacher in FrontPage and MS Paint • Member San Lorenzo Unified School District Ed Tech Committee and Lorenzo Manor Elementary Ed Tech Committee. • Past District Web Page Coordinator and FrontPage Trainer • Participant in Intel Teach to the Future training • Provide opportunities for children to meet Technology Standards• Incorporate technology into the curriculum using desktops and wireless laptops, FL Studio, Cubasis VST 4.0, Music Ace, Band in a Box, Finale Notepad, Silver Burdett MIDI Connection, Windows Movie Maker, Microsoft Office Suite, recording and burning CDs, DVDs, etc. • Manage a High School Computer Music Lab. • MarcoPolo trainer.• Teach Music Technology classes after school for the Gifted and Talented (GATE Program).
• Member Music Educators National Conference • Member Technology Institute for Music Educators. Lesson plan published on their Web Site. • Member California Music Educators and present music technology sessions for educators at the Bay Section Conferences.
• Deliver instruction in the area of the curriculum pertaining to National and District Music Standards. • Create and implement lesson plans, rubrics and assessments. • Organize and produce Winter and Spring Concerts. • Experience working with children with challenging behaviors and disabilities (Special Day Class and Continuation School).
• Provide children with learning experiences that promote their cognitive, social and emotional development. • Experience in teaching students from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds. • Communicate with parents. Handle record-keeping of grades and attendance. • Work cooperatively with other education professionals.
• Organize and produce Winter and Spring Recitals, including County Recitals for the National Guild of Piano Teachers. Communicate with parents. Handle advertising and record-keeping of tuition payments. Vice-President of the Alameda County Branch of the Music Teachers Association of California. Attend Board meetings and plan guest speakers Licensed Kindermusik instructor for children ages 18 mos. to 7 years. Students chosen for State and County Honors Recitals. Listed in National Honor Roll, National Guild of Piano Teachers; Member Music Teachers National Association. Taught Undergraduate Musicianship class as a Graduate Assistant at Mills College.
•Professional Freelance Musician 9/1984 12/1995 Boston, MA; Bay Area, CA Performed own compositions and others works in various styles in innumerable local venues and clubs such as The Oakland Museum, Yerba Buena Gardens, The Valencia Café, Trans America Building, the Marriott Hotel, as well as in Las Vegas. She have performed with musicians such as Vijay Iyer, Anthony Braxton, MC Hammer, Luciana Souza, Lloyd Nibbs (Skatalites), Fred Lonberg-Holm, Andy Borger (Norah Jones), Stuart Popejoy, Aaron Stewart, Sheila Sofian, William Calhoun (Living Color), Sean Kennerly (Samiam) and Joey Cheezhee. CD Recording on Curious Pogos Records:Frederick Lonberg Holms Theory of Motion. Composed music on Sheila Sofians Animations Faith and Patience and Secret Rage. Won 15 awards in International and National Film Festivals. Broadcast on WHYY TV12 and WYBE TV35 Educational Stations. Honorable Mention in Composition: City of Oakland Creative Arts Fellowship. Live Performances on KPFA, KNBR and KALX radio stations.
•EDUCATION Ph.D. in Education (10/2013). Specialization in Professional Studies Capella University Teaching Credential: K-12 Single Subject Music 8/1999 Chapman University GPA 3.9 US-CA-Concord Master of Fine Arts degree in Electronic Music and Recording Media with an emphasis in Composition 5/1992 Mills College GPA 3.64 US-CA-Oakland Bachelor of Music degree in Jazz Composition and Arranging 5/1987 Berklee College of Music US-CA-Boston GPA 3.59 Cum Laude
*** Lesson Details *** I am interested in teaching you what you need and want to learn so that you achieve your dreams. Please note that I only take serious students who will practice at least 30 minutes every day or 35 a day 6 days a week at home. I would like you to keep a log of how much you practice. This will enable you to make progress through the curriculum as you will be a beginner for the first 3.3 years, an intermediate for the next 3.3 years, and then an advanced student for 3.3 years. I will give you assignments to do over the week, and the next week we will go over them, learn something new and get new assignments. It takes 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert!
*** Studio Equipment *** Currently I am converting my detached garage into a music studio with keyboard and instruments. There is a sitting room where parents can wait for their children. In the meantume, we will have lessons in my living/dining room.
*** Travel Equipment *** Metronome, CD Boom Box
*** Specialties *** Jazz, classical, popular, saxophone, composition, music, flute, clarinet, piano, violin, trumpet, trombone, french horn, tuba, baritone, oboe, songwriting, recording, children's music Composition Arranging Songwriting Reading and Notating Music Music Software such as FL Studio, Band in a Box, Reason and GarageBand. Bring your laptop to lessons! Music Theory Improvisation Minor Key Harmony Extended and Secondary Dominants Tritone Substitution Modal Interchange Altered Dominant Scale Diminished Harmony Non-Functional Harmony
Nana December 2, 2016
Dr. Spranza is one of the best piano teachers in the Bay Area. My two daughters take weekly lessons with her. She encourages them and empowers them to do their best. She teaches them both theory and practicals. They have participated in an informal recital and are now registered to take part in the MTAC Certificate of Merit program.
As parents, we see a big improvement in our daughters' piano playing skills. They even practice on their own, without us telling them to. All thanks to Dr. Spranza.
Jee November 2, 2016
Maureen Spranza, PhD, is a gifted music teacher. Not only does she teach well, but she is also an accomplished musician. "Ms. Maureen", as we call her, has over 20 years of experience working with students of all levels. She teaches piano, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, flute saxophone, and violin.
My 8 and 10 year old boys both take 30 minutes of weekly piano lessons from Ms Maureen at Music Unlimited in San Leandro. Their instruction includes all facets of learning - from ear training, to technique, to theory. My 8 year old is a beginner and my 10 year old has been playing for 3 years. Her lessons include an optional Certificate of Merit program that "offers performance, development and evaluation opportunities for students". To learn more, visit http://www.mtac.org.
I really appreciate how she encourages participation in recitals throughout the year, which allows her students to perform both informally and formally to other students, teachers, and family.
We are extremely lucky to have found Ms. Maureen!!! The kids are progressing and are having fun learning. They are filling our house with beautiful music. I highly recommend her to piano learners of all ages!
Jennifer February 26, 2016
Maureen has improved my son Nate's trumpet playing immensely. Where before he had some difficulty hitting the high notes, and his playing was somewhat tentative, he now plays with greater confidence and in tune. I noticed his improvement shortly after he started being taught by Maureen - not only as he was going through the scales, but in all the songs he practices now. Being an improved player has had the effect of Nate practicing more now as well. Maureen has taught him the importance of practice, the discipline it takes to improve, and has really developed his interest in the instrument. All this is testament to Maureen's quality as an instructor. I highly recommend her!
I have taught brass instruments for may years. On several occasion I was employed to teach all the brass instruments.
I have a BS in music education received at Lehman College, Bronx, NY. I am a professional musician/ composer/ arranger.I received my teaching credentials at SFSU and have been a General music teacher as well as a, band teacher. I have studied trumpet with Classical ( Wilmer Wise)and Jazz musician (Bill Hardman) and big band arranging with Frank Foster( saxophonist and arranger with Count Basie Band). At present I am retired and teaching privately.
I have been teaching music for over 50 years as well as being a professional musician/ composer and arranger. I not only know my fundamentals ins
ide and out, but also I know many tricks of the trade. Over the years I have developed special teaching techniques that enable students to make sense out of music and progress rapidly on their instruments.I love playing music and aim at stirring that same kind of excitement abut music in my students.
To each lesson I bring a unique mix, encouraging the student to pursue excellence and also have fun. I am well qualified to teach: woodwinds( oboe, flute, clarinet, all saxophones) brass(french horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba), and piano.
*** Lesson Details *** I make music interesting to learn. I encourage students to practice daily so they can improve. The more they improve the more fun they can have with music not only alone, but with others.
I am very patient with my students especially with beginners. I know that for them it is like learning a new language. Once they begin to increase their musical vocabulary, they will enjoy what they can do with music.
*** Studio Equipment *** Seating for parents, basement studio, piano, drum set
*** Travel Equipment *** Students should provide their own instruments.
Erik F. October 2, 2016
French Horn ·
In studio Verified Student
Mack is a great and patient teacher. Our son was assigned the only French Horn for his middle school beginning band class. We are clueless on how to help him. We found Mack on Takelessons. He got great reviews and lives not too far from us. After the first lesson, our son could play the entire C major scale! He can't wait for his next lesson. Thank you, Mack. We are so lucky to have you.
Cynthia N. September 14, 2016
In home Verified Student
Mac is a very patient and excellent instructor!
Joseph L. August 24, 2016
In studio Verified Student
Just one lesson so far but Mack has me moving along with things to study and improve. He has a lot to offer and I very much appreciate his patience.
Learn embouchure, breath control, finger technique, range building, reading music in a variety of styles.
I've studied with some of the finest trombonists in the US and completed my Bachelors degree in Trombone Performance at the University of Arizona. My performing background is a balanced mix of classical and commercial ensembles. I've played in symphony orchestras, pit orchestras, show bands, jazz bands, chamber music, and dixieland to name just a few. It all starts with learning the basics and that's how I approach trombone, bass trombone, euphonium, and tuba with my students. I have several years experience with my private studio, in-house lessons, as well as teaching brass at a performing ar
ts high school. Students learn relaxed technique, production of a beautiful tone, and overall musicality.
*** Lesson Details *** I place an emphasis on building embouchure, breathing, posture, musical interpretation, sight-reading and theory.
I encourage relaxed technique while enjoying the process of making music.
All of the above can be applied to any style of music the student is interested in exploring.
*** Studio Equipment *** My studio is located in a relaxed setting near a creek. For the teaching of brass instruments, not much equipment is needed though I have a metronome, tuner, digital recorder, sounds system, and plenty of music to get started.
*** Travel Equipment *** I travel with necessary instruments, metronome, digital recorder, and whatever music I'd be introducing at that particular lesson.
*** Specialties *** Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Baritone/Euphonium, Bass Trombone, and Tuba
Hello! I am a classically trained vocalist and percussionist, with a BA in Music, specializing in Education and Theory. I have taught band, choir, orchestra and piano in high school and middle school. I have also done Music Directing with kids aged 7-14 for various musicals and have taught elementary students aged 4-9, so I am ready for whatever you've got! I have also appeared on stage in various settings including opera, musical theater, solo work and even the occasional karaoke night. I am willing to work with your schedule and offer scholarships to those who are willing to earn them!
Santiago R. November 28, 2016
In studio Verified Student
Best instructor ever. My son loves her.
Damir October 15, 2016
In home Verified Student
Rebecca is patient and fun. My son enjoys his lessons.
David September 24, 2016
In home Verified Student
Rebecca is the best! Teachers teach and learners learn. She has made me an instant learner!!!