Portland, OR ESL Lessons
Looking for private in-home or in-studio ESL lessons? Our Portland teachers are ready to get you started. Find your teacher today!
Our online tools make booking, managing your schedule and paying for lessons easy and hassle-free.
Easily search and compare teachers in your area, including past student reviews and background checks.
If you're not completely satisfied, we'll help you find a new teacher or refund any unused lesson credits.
Our teachers have taught
lessons and counting!
View Full Profile
I am a private tutor for TL, My name is Jaime Lopez. I am bilingual in Spanish and English. I would be happy to help you learn English more affectively and fun. I am sensitive to ADD students and know how to be successful through teaching methods I use.
If you wish my assistance, please let me know and we can work out the details.
Thank you for your consideration,
Jaime Lopez P
View Full Profile
Fluent English is essential for business and careers in the U.S. Our lessons can be tailored for business or casual conversations, writing, and public speaking. I am excited to share the joy of learning with you and to help equip you with the skills to succeed!
Learn the intricacies of guitar, piano, and vocal performance
Master professional writing techniques
Promote yourself with hands-on audio production and videography
Make killer music videos
Become the best you can be!
Party on dudes,
Marshall J. III
· Guitar · In home
Lots of good tips to start off with and good exercises that I can use for years to come.
Looking forward to learning more. I recommend lessons for sure.
· Singing · In studio
So far so good!!
I've taught ESL to many students, varying from people who could barely say "hello" to those who were just trying to get the past perfect continuous tense right. I love it.
I love learning languages in my spare time and practicing when I can. When I'm not looking a bit silly doing that, I'm usually reading, at a baseball game, hiking, or hanging out with friends. I keep active, making sure to run or climb a mountain when I can. However, it's equally as strong as my love for foods of all kinds.
I really look forward to getting to work with you and helping you with whatever I can!
· Mandarin · In studio
View Full Profile
Need to get your English skills up to par or want to be better at conversational English, I can help. I've taught English classes in various settings; classes, one-on-one, and in small group settings. I can make learning English so much fun that you will forget that you are learning English - but you will progress. I can say that with confidence. However, because this is a language and like many other skills it will take time, and you will need to put in the effort as well. So, what is stopping you. Now you're just a click away from really fun English lessons.
The way that I teach is to help the student develop their own style. I have students work on their own individual projects that they pick out while asking me questions that they might have while they are doing their project.
However, if they would like there is an option for me to develop lessons for the student on certain sewing techniques that the student could learn. Although, be aware that learning how to sew takes time and that all the techniques of sewing cannot be done all at once.
Then, there is the third option that the lesson could be a mix of the student doing what they want (choosing their own project) and learning some pre-designed
My first goal is to give my students all of the tools they need to feel confident from the very first lesson. I would like for all of my students within the first lesson to finish either of two basic projects (pajama pants or a draw string bag).
THE BEGINNER SEWER
In these lessons we will go over the following, which can be adapted to how you want:
- Sewing safety and how to use a machine
- Learn about the sewing tools you'll be using
- How to read, cut out, layout, and follow a basic pattern instructions
- How to pin and sew a seam, finish seams and sew hems
- Learn to sew on an elastic band (to pajamas or for a tote).
- Learn how to unpick your projects when a mistake is made.
- Learn how to do a basic stitch and the gather stitch.
- TAKE AWAY PROJECTS:
- Sewing Tote
- Basic Dress
- Pillow case
THE INTERMEDIATE SEWER
- Cement what you learned in the while a beginner.
- Learn to hand sew hems etc.
- Learn about different fabrics and when to use them.
- Sew a basic zipper onto clothes or bags.
- Learn about the different foots.
- Learn to do other stitches
-TAKE AWAY PROJECTS
- Intermediate Dresses/ Clothes
THE ADVANCED SEWER
- Work on your own projects you choose with help.
- Work with harder fabrics.
-Use a zipper foot to sew an invisible zipper.
- Learn to do advanced stitches
-Learn about pleats and darts.
- TAKE AWAY PROJECTS
- Prom dress
- Formal Coats
Whether it is for a hobby, to decorate your house, to prepare for design school, or to make your own clothes, I can teach you from the very basic sewing skills, to more advance topics such as modifying your patterns to make clothes that fit.
· Sewing · In home
View Full Profile
My background as a teacher of ESL is extensive. I taught technical English to engineering students at the university (MEPhI) for 8 years. Additionally I have been preparing Russian students for the English State Exam at school and adults for business and private trips to English speaking countries.
As a philologist I am able to pinpoint individual issues and difficulties to help correct problems in language acquisition.
I provide a variety of activities for my lessons so you will never get bored. For example, I will use games, interactive conversational lessons, fun warm up tasks, case studies, and even riddles. We will use authentic materials as well. You will learn conversational skills, formal writing skills, and test taking strategies all in a fun manner.
I have a background as as an experienced lecturer, teacher, and tutor in the field of linguistics (general linguistics, history of linguistics, psycolinguistics, social linguistics, gender studies). Since defending my dissertation, I have continued to do research in gender studies in the field of virtual communication and digital text, especially non-verbal communication, soci
· German · In studio
· German · Online
· German · Online
View Full Profile
These lessons are spontaneous. I do not prepare for these lessons. We will have a conversation and I will respond to your language needs in the moment.
· English · Online
· English · In studio
Hi and welcome to my profile!
If you are new to US, and need to improve your English for work or studies, we can work on grammar at your level, expand your vocabulary and work on conversational skills. I'm taking beginner to intermediate students. Step by step assistance with learning English is required when you are a beginner. From my experience of learning a foreign language, grammar of the language is usually best explained by a non-native speaker, who went through all the steps himself are and knows all the obstacles a learner can meet on the way of acquiring a new language.
If you are considering to learn Russian, I must say, you are a brave and adventurous person. It is a rather complicated language and you might have one of few purposes which will define the best method there to teach you:
1. If you plan to travel to St. Petersburg or Moscow, and need to pick up conversational Russian, we can certainly do that in needed period of time. We can practice dialogues, train comprehension skills, even work on your accent, if you wish!
2. If you have a business in Russia or any post-soviet countries and need Russian for negotiations, document translation purposes, simply for comprehension, we can build up the needed vocabulary and you are good to go!
3. If you are an intermediate student, and need to freshen up your Russian, maybe learn some specific grammar or industry related vocabu
4. If you are new to US, and need to improve your English for work or studies, we can work on grammar at your level, expand your vocabulary and work on conversational skills. I'm taking beginner to intermediate students. Step by step assistance with learning English is required when you are a beginner. From my experience of learning a foreign language, grammar of the language is usually best explained by a non-native speaker, who went through all the steps himself are and knows all the obstacles a learner can meet on the way of acquiring a new language.
5. As I'm learning French at the moment, and you are either French who wants to learn Russian, or you are just learning French – I have some suggestions and discounts to offer.
· Russian · In studio
Search for a teacher
Compare hundreds of teachers based on the criteria that matter to you, including background checks, age and experience.
Schedule your lessons
When you've found the perfect match, schedule your lessons online using the teacher's real-time availability.
Connect with your teacher
Your teacher will welcome you with a personalized curriculum to meet your specific goals and you'll be able to manage your entire schedule through our free online account.
Zero travel time is great for a busy schedule.
Typically priced lower than local lessons.
Online students stick with lessons as long as local students.
For the best experience, we typically recommend 60-minute ESL lessons. However, students looking for a more affordable option may want to consider a shorter lesson length of 45 or 30 minutes. On average, 45-minute ESL lessons are 20% less expensive at $40, and 30-minute lessons cost 44% less at $28.
Curious how much ESL lessons cost in your area? Do a quick search to get local prices for the best ESL teachers near Portland.