Karaoke night is here! To some, it’s a fun excuse to get together with friends. To others, it’s their chance at superstardom. Whatever karaoke means to you, it’s worth putting a little research into which fun karaoke songs are best suited for your stint on stage.
Not only is karaoke a great way to socialize, but it’s also a legitimate way to practice performing, especially if you’re a beginner singer. Successful karaoke comes down to knowing your vocal range, warming up properly, and of course, knowing the song! What’s more, it can get you more comfortable with singing in front of an audience. The good news is that if you get a handle on a handful of popular karaoke songs, you can shine on virtually any karaoke stage.
The most memorable karaoke moments come from performers who are passionate and have a connection to the song that they are singing. Whether you want a performance that is humorous or heartfelt, this guide will help you make the most of your karaoke experience. Read on to find out how to pick the best karaoke songs and prepare for the show!
How to Pick the Best Karaoke Songs for You
Before you hit the stage, I recommend having a few songs in mind. Thinking ahead can be especially helpful for beginner karaoke singers, since it will take the stress away from choosing a song on the night of the show. But there’s a lot more to it than just picking your favorite song!
Let’s say you love The Beatles. That doesn’t mean you can sing any Beatles’ song in the original key without straining your voice. John Lennon and Paul McCartney had very high singing voices, and most males are baritones. So, ask yourself this: “When I sing along to my favorite songs, who am I most comfortable singing with?”
Maybe it’s Taylor Swift, a middle voice. Or perhaps a higher one, like Dolly Parton. Either way, use this guide for help picking your best karaoke song.
Karaoke is about fun, so don’t forget to pick a song that you truly enjoy singing! If you’re prone to nervousness, consider picking a more up-tempo tune, as it will make it less likely for nerves to show. If you’re nervous and singing a ballad, your voice can get shaky. Also, consider choosing a good karaoke song that you know inside and out. If you already know the words by heart, you won’t have to look at the monitor so much to follow the lyrics. This will keep you from stumbling over the words or worrying about an unexpected part coming up.
5 Tips for Singing Karaoke
Here are some things to keep in mind about how to have a successful karaoke night:
- Warm up your voice before singing so you can really hit those high notes! Do some voice exercises, say some tongue twisters, and drink plenty of water. Follow along with this quick video on vocal warm ups for singers.
- Look confident. Start with a smile and with your feet planted shoulder width apart. Make no apologies for being on that stage! This is your time to shine.
- Pick a song you really know so you’re not always having to look at the lyrics on the screen. Don’t forget you have an audience that wants you to sing to them!
- Use good vocal technique. Breathe low, and keep your sound placed in your mask rather than shouting into the microphone.
- Remember what you’ve been taught in your voice lessons and put it all to good use on stage.
- Practice at home! Sing in the shower, belt it out in the car, or round up an audience and put on a living room performance. YouTube has many excellent channels, such as KaraFun, that can help you practice.
100+ Best Karaoke Songs of All Time
Are you ready to find out the most fun karaoke songs of all time? Here are some of the most popular karaoke songs, broken down by genre, category, and more! From the top karaoke songs for women to the best duet karaoke songs for you and your best friend, our list provides all the tunes you need to make a big impression on stage. You can also jump to specific song recommendations using these links:
- Best Female Karaoke Songs
- Best Karaoke Songs for Men
- Top Easy Karaoke Songs
- Duet Karaoke Songs
- Best Group Karaoke Songs
- Funny Karaoke Songs
- ’90s Karaoke Songs
- ’80s Karaoke Songs
- ’60s and ’70s Karaoke Songs
- Best Karaoke Love Songs
- Best Rock Karaoke Songs
- Best Pop Karaoke Songs
- Best R&B Karaoke Songs
- Best Country Karaoke Songs
- Worst Karaoke Songs
Ladies, you’ve got so many great choices when it comes to top karaoke songs for women! From powerhouse pop to girl-power classics, all of these songs are really fun karaoke songs to sing. Channel Mariah Carey, belt out some Mile Cyrus, and make Kelly Clarkson proud. Here are our picks for the best female karaoke songs.
- Shake It Off – Taylor Swift
- Stronger – Kelly Clarkson
- I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
- It’s Raining Men – The Weather Girls
- Single Ladies – Beyoncé
- Like a Virgin – Madonna
- Wrecking Ball – Miley Cyrus
- Emotions – Mariah Carey
- Rehab – Amy Winehouse
- Black Velvet – Alannah Myles
- Son of a Preacher Man – Dusty Springfield
- Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover – Sophie B. Hawkins
Guys, start warming up your voices for these top picks in all vocal genres – rock, pop, punk, and even lounge-style. If you’re in search of a good karaoke song for your vocal range, we’ve got you covered. Whether you dream of being the next Frank Sinatra or you can’t get enough of Prince, check out our list. Here are some of the most popular karaoke songs for men.
- Sweet Caroline – Neil Diamond
- Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey
- Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
- Wonderwall – Oasis
- My Way – Frank Sinatra
- I Wanna Be Sedated – the Ramones
- Losing My Religion – R.E.M.
- Never Gonna Give You Up – Rick Astley
- 867-5309/Jenny – Tommy Tutone
- Mack the Knife – Bobby Darin
- If I Was Your Girlfriend – Prince
- When I Was Your Man – Bruno Mars
Need something easy to sing? If your vocal skills aren’t quite where you want them to be yet, don’t worry. There are plenty of easy karaoke songs that you can still rock out to. No matter how impressive your vocal skills are, everyone will have a blast with these hits from the likes of Patsy Cline, Barry Manilow, and Kool and the Gang.
- 500 Miles – The Proclaimers
- These Boots Are Made for Walking – Nancy Sinatra
- Crazy – Patsy Cline
- Happy – Pharrell Williams
- Copacabana – Barry Manilow
- That’s the Way (I Like It) – KC and the Sunshine Band
- Celebration – Kool and the Gang
- Funkytown – Lipps, Inc
- Don’t Worry, Be Happy – Bobby McFerrin
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
Grab a friend for twice the fun! Duet karaoke songs let both singers shine. Singing a duet karaoke song is also a great way to build your confidence and feel comfortable on the stage with the help of a friend. Check out the list below for our top picks for the best karaoke duets, and get ready to sing your heart out to hits like:
- The Boy is Mine – Brandy and Monica
- Cruisin’ – Huey Lewis and Gwyneth Paltrow
- Islands in the Stream – Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton
- Need You Now – Lady Antebellum
- All I Have – Jennifer Lopez and LL Cool J
- Up Where We Belong – Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes
- Empire State of Mind – Jay-Z and Alicia Keys
- Ebony and Ivory – Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder
- Dream a Little Dream of Me – Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
- Hunger Strike – Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell
For those of you who hit the bar with a bunch of friends, these group karaoke songs will let you all join in on the fun! Round up your crew and warm up your pipes. It’s time to take on the Spice Girls, the Mamas and the Papas, and don’t forget the Village People.
- We Are Family – Sister Sledge
- California Dreamin’ – The Mamas and the Papas
- ABC – Jackson 5
- Wannabe – Spice Girls
- Push It – Salt ‘n Pepa
- No Scrubs – TLC
- Lean On Me – Club Nouveau
- Rapper’s Delight – Sugar Hill Gang
- YMCA – Village People
- Supersonic – JJ Fad
Want to just have fun, without worrying about your vocal skills? Pick one of the funny karaoke songs below, add in a splash of confidence and stage presence, and the crowd will love you. You’ll have the whole crowd singing along when you choose a good karaoke song like “Party All the Time” or “If You Like Pina Coladas.”
- Rock Lobster – B-52s
- Just a Friend – Biz Markie
- Tubthumping – Chumbawamba
- MMMBop – Hanson
- Mickey – Toni Basil
- Party All the Time – Eddie Murphy
- The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades – Timbuk 3
- Whip It – Devo
- If You Like Piña Coladas – Jimmy Buffet
- Rico Suave – Gerardo
’90s kids: listen up! Whether you grew up with rock or pop princesses, these ’90s karaoke crowd-pleasers will get everyone singing along with you. You can’t go wrong with hits by Will Smith, No Doubt, and Christina Aguilera.
- Closing Time – Semisonic
- Time of Your Life – Green Day
- You Oughta Know – Alanis Morissette
- Torn – Natalie Imbruglia
- I’ll Stand By You – The Pretenders
- Genie in a Bottle – Christina Aguilera
- Gettin’ Jiggy Wit’ It – Will Smith
- Who Am I? (What’s My Name) – Snoop Dogg
- Santeria – Sublime
- Don’t Speak – No Doubt
More a fan of ’80s music? You’ll find some major crowd-pleasers in this list of legendary tunes, from “I Think We’re Alone Now” to “Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.” Here are our favorite jams to sign up for.
- Billie Jean – Michael Jackson
- I Want to Know What Love Is – Foreigner
- I Think We’re Alone Now – Tiffany
- Wake Me Up Before You Go Go – Wham!
- Don’t You Want Me – Human League
- Tainted Love – Soft Cell
- I Can’t Wait – Nu Shooz
- All Night Long – Lionel Richie
- Everybody Wants to Rule the World – Tears for Fears
- Part-Time Lover – Stevie Wonder
Break out the bellbottoms and get your best John Travolta impression ready for these disco tunes. If you’re looking for some of the best karaoke songs of all time, start your search right here and get ready to bring down the house.
- Dancing Queen – ABBA
- Stayin’ Alive – The Bee Gees
- I’m Every Woman – Chaka Khan
- Rapture – Blondie
- Do Ya Think I’m Sexy – Rod Stewart
- Play That Funky Music – Wild Cherry
- Brick House – Commodores
- Big Yellow Taxi – Joni Mitchell
- You’re So Vain – Carly Simon
- Let’s Get it On – Marvin Gaye
Can you feel the love tonight? If you want to impress your sweetie in the crowd, pick one of these top karaoke songs about love. When you belt out “Time After Time” or “The Sweetest Thing,” you’ll woo the entire audience, too.
- Time After Time – Cyndi Lauper
- Wicked Game – Chris Isaak
- Try a Little Tenderness – Otis Redding
- Come to My Window – Melissa Etheridge
- The Sweetest Thing – U2
- I Melt With You – Modern English
- That’s the Way Love Goes – Janet Jackson
- Can’t Help Falling in Love – Elvis Presley
- She Loves You – the Beatles
- Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinead O’Connor
Love singing rock music? Get into the spirit of rock ’n’ roll when you sing some Bruce Springsteen or Bon Jovi. Here are some of the best rock karaoke songs to consider.
- Pour Some Sugar On Me – Def Leppard
- Creep – Radiohead
- Born in the USA – Bruce Springsteen
- Under the Bridge – Red Hot Chili Peppers
- We’re Not Gonna Take It – Twisted Sister
- Livin’ On a Prayer – Bon Jovi
- Sweet Home Alabama – Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Piece of My Heart – Janis Joplin
- Zombie – The Cranberries
- Enter Sandman – Metallica
Pop songs are super fun to sing at karaoke nights! And the best part? There’s a good chance the crowd will know all the lyrics so they’ll sing along with you. Here are some of our favorites.
- Royals – Lorde
- Baby One More Time – Britney Spears
- Push – Matchbox Twenty
- Treasure – Bruno Mars
- Call Me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen
- Hallelujah – Jeff Buckley
- Iris – Goo Goo Dolls
- The Middle – Jimmy Eat World
- Timber – Ke$ha and Pitbull
- All About That Bass – Meghan Trainor
Feeling that rhythm and blues? Put your heart and soul into these top R&B karaoke songs.
These sultry songs by the likes of Al Green, Boyz II Men, and Mary J. Blige offer a great way to kick off the night.
- This is How We Do It – Montell Jordan
- Let’s Stay Together – Al Green
- Poison – Bel Biv Devoe
- End of the Road – Boyz II Men
- No Diggity – Blackstreet
- Doo Wop (That Thing) – Lauryn Hill
- Un-break My Heart – Toni Braxton
- Not Gon’ Cry – Mary J. Blige
- He’s So Fine – The Chiffons
- Chain of Fools – Aretha Franklin
More of the honky-tonk type? Grab your cowboy hat and get ready to dazzle your audience with some Bonnie Raitt and Johnny Cash. Whether you prefer classic country songs or modern-day hits, here are the best country karaoke songs.
- Man! I Feel Like a Woman! – Shania Twain
- Something to Talk About – Bonnie Raitt
- Ring of Fire – Johnny Cash
- Take Me Home, Country Roads – John Denver
- Stand By Your Man – Tammy Wynette
- Friends In Low Places – Garth Brooks
- Your Cheatin’ Heart – Hank Williams
- Before He Cheats – Carrie Underwood
- Celebrity – Brad Paisley
- All My Ex’s Live in Texas – George Strait
And whatever you do, avoid these WORST karaoke songs! We hate to say it, but you’ll likely hear a groan or two if you request one of these tunes.
- Achy Breaky Heart – Billy Ray Cyrus
- I’ve Got You Babe – Sonny and Cher
- Picture – Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock
- Baby Got Back – Sir Mix-A-Lot
- Ice Ice Baby – Vanilla Ice
- Barbie Girl – Aqua
- My Heart Will Go On – Celine Dion
- Margaritaville – Jimmy Buffet
- Boyfriend – Justin Bieber
- Friday – Rebecca Black
How Karaoke Can Make You a Better Singer
It goes without saying that performing, in general, becomes easier the more you do it. Karaoke night is a great way to get over stage fright if you attend regularly. You’ll always have an audience, and they are usually very supportive and encouraging (especially if you go with friends and family)! Just remember, everyone is there to have a good time.
Doing karaoke is also a great idea if you’re pursuing music. You won’t feel the pressure that you might at an audition or vocal contest, so it’s certainly less stressful in the beginning. Try out any of these songs risk-free before you take it to the “big time!”
If you truly want to take your singing skills to the next level, vocal lessons are the only way to go. After a few lessons, you will surely notice your voice improving. The more you study with your vocal coach, the better your karaoke performances will become!
Along with our list of the best karaoke songs, your group of friends surely has its own set of songs that are meaningful in their own way. Let us know in the comments below what karaoke songs are a favorite in your community. Then, pick a song and grab the mic!