As a kid, nothing is more thrilling than landing the lead role or singing your heart out on stage. But to get there, you have to prove yourself through an audition. And one thing that remains tricky is finding a suitable repertoire. Of course, you want to make a good impression, but there are also some guidelines you’ll want to follow. To help you pinpoint some simple audition songs for kids, follow our guide below.
Musical Theater Songs for Kids
I’ve rounded up a list of the best musical theater audition songs for kids based on a number of factors. For example, you don’t want to sing a song that is too mature or outside of your singing capabilities. Stick with an age-appropriate song that lets your personality and confidence shine while still showcasing that you can have fun and hit the right notes, too.
Also, keep in mind that many of these songs that I recommend are NOT from Broadway shows but are definitely casting director-approved. Generally, there is more flexibility with kids’ repertoire as there aren’t as many roles for them. That means Disney movies, old standards, and novelty songs are some other styles that will sometimes work just fine unless the production team says otherwise. Because of this, it’s essential that you read the audition details as they can provide you with additional information regarding what the judges want to hear. At the end of the day, most casting directors are looking for performers who can prepare good material and perform confidently.
While some of these great audition songs for kids on this list are meant to be sung by a specific gender, there are also several songs that work beautifully for either! So let’s dive in – here are 40 of the best musical theater audition songs for kids.
Musical Theater Audition Songs for Girls
Whether you want to channel the brave and fearless Disney character Mulan or belt out your favorite Shirley Temple rendition, check out these incredible musical theater audition songs that are great for young female singers. These tunes will let you not only show off your personality but your wide range, too.
1. “I Always Knew” — Annie Warbucks
2. “Home” — Wonderland
3. “The Girl I Mean To Be” — The Secret Garden
4. “Born to Entertain” — Ruthless! The Musical
5. “Let Me Entertain You” — Gypsy
6. “Sayonara” — How to Eat Like a Child
7. “Reflection” — Mulan
8. “The World Above” — The Little Mermaid
9. “Gee, I’m Glad I’m Glad I’m No One Else But Me” — Anne of Green Gables
10. “On the Good Ship Lollipop” — Shirley Temple
11. “Doin’ What Comes Natur’lly” — Annie Get Your Gun
12. “Everlasting” — Tuck Everlasting
13. “Almost There” — The Princess and the Frog
Musical Theater Audition Songs for Boys
Calling all boys! These fun and vibrant tunes are some of the best musical theater audition songs for young male singers. You can’t go wrong with the Music Man’s “Gary, Indiana” or Billy Elliot’s “Electricity.” For an especially fun and memorable number, sing along to “The Bare Necessities” from the movie “The Jungle Book.”
1.”Red Ryder Carbine Action BB Gun” — A Christmas Story: The Musical
2. “A Round Shouldered Man” — The Secret Garden
3. “My Best Girl” — Mame
4. “Gary, Indiana” — The Music Man
5. “Different” — Honk!
6. “Getting Tall” — Nine
7. “Electricity” — Billy Elliott
8. “Little People” — Les Misérables
9. “The Bare Necessities” — The Jungle Book
10. “A Letter from Charlie Bucket” — Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the Musical
11. “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” — The Lion King
12. “If I Only Had a Brain” — The Wizard of Oz
13. “Mama Says” — Footloose
14. “What If” — The Addams Family
Musical Theater Audition Songs for Girls OR Boys
No matter your range or gender, the following musical audition songs for kids are sure to get you noticed at the competition. Give “I Love to Laugh” from “Mary Poppins” a whirl, or try your hand at Peter Pan’s “I Won’t Grow Up” number.
1. “When I Grow Up” — Matilda the Musical
2. “The Tree” — The Me Nobody Knows
3. “Who Will Buy?” — Oliver!
4. “Getting to Know You” — The King and I
5. “The Ugly Duckling” — Hans Christian Anderson
6. “Be Kind To Your Parents” — Fanny
7. “I Love to Laugh” — Mary Poppins
8. “Happiness” — You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown
9. “I Won’t Grow Up” — Peter Pan
10. “Put On a Happy Face” — Bye Bye Birdie
11. “So Long, Farewell” — The Sound of Music
12. “Part of the World” — Aladdin
13. “The Rainbow Connection” — The Muppet Movie
Confidence is key, and a voice teacher can certainly help with that. TakeLessons does a wonderful job of matching kids up with the perfect teacher. So sign your child up for singing lessons today, and then use our list of musical theater songs for kids when it comes to auditioning time.