If you have a lower female voice and you’re getting ready to sing alto for an audition, you want to pick the perfect song! Luckily, there are dozens of excellent alto songs to choose from. Our list of the best audition songs for altos offers a variety of choices that allow you to pick one you’re comfortable with so that you can rock your next performance.
We will share a variety of musical songs including Broadway, Disney, and classical songs. We’ll also tell you which songs to avoid since they’re often overused in alto auditions.
If you’d rather check out a video, here’s one that shares good audition songs for altos. Some of these are on our list below, too!
What Are Some Good Audition Songs for Altos?
These are some of the best audition songs for altos musical theater auditions. Get ready to rock your next audition with these ideal audition songs!
- “I Want to Go to Hollywood” – Grand Hotel
- “Somewhere” – West Side Story
- “I Can Hear the Bells” – Hairspray
- “The Music That Makes me Dance” – Funny Girl
- “Poor Unfortunate Souls” – The Little Mermaid
- “Another Night at Darryl’s” – Witches of Eastwick
- “A Change in Me” – Beauty and the Beast
- “How ‘Bout a Dance” – Bonnie and Clyde
- “A Mother Doesn’t Matter Anymore” – Bye Bye Birdie
- “Must Winter Come So Soon” – Vanessa
- “Here We Are” – Gloria Estefan
- “Lithium” – Evanescence
- “Good Enough” – Evanescence
- “Lacrymosa” – Evanescence
- “Close to You” – The Carpenters
- “Rainy Days and Mondays” – The Carpenters
- “Only Yesterday” – The Carpenters
- “The Power of Goodbye” – Madonna
- “Frozen” – Madonna
- “Live to Tell” – Madonna
Ready to nail that audition? Before you choose your song, be sure to perfect your singing skills with singing lessons.
Understanding the different musical styles that are out there is key when it comes to choosing the right song for your preferences, personality, and vocal range. Check out this video for more tips:
What Songs Are for Altos? 10 Top Broadway Audition Songs for Altos
These are some of the best audition songs for altos who really know how to rock! Many of these are great as 16 bar audition songs for altos – but can also be sung in longer segments, too.
1. “I Want to Go to Hollywood” – Grand Hotel
“I Want to Go to Hollywood” is a good choice for younger singers who want to show off their ability to reach lower notes. It is best used for musical theater auditions requiring something a little more upbeat, or for anyone who feels that jazz is their strong point.
2. “Somewhere” – West Side Story
Another one of the most popular audition songs for altos, “Somewhere” shows off your ability to both act and sing. It also includes a number of reasonably high notes, so it highlights your ability to sing a wide range.
3. “I Can Hear the Bells” – Hairspray
“I Can Hear the Bells” should only be attempted by altos who can really nail this challenging piece. When sung well, it can be the perfect choice for an up-tempo and jazzy audition.
SEE ALSO: How to Sing Better Almost Instantly
4. “The Music That Makes me Dance” – Funny Girl
This beautiful song is one that people are familiar with but not tired of. Not only is this a great audition song for altos, but even actors use it when trying out for dance scenes!
5. “Poor Unfortunate Souls” – The Little Mermaid
This is one of the best Disney songs for altos with a younger voice. It allows you to show off comedic chops and is a really fun song to perform.
6. “Another Night at Darryl’s” – Witches of Eastwick
This is one of the easiest audition songs for altos on this list. “Another Night at Darryl’s” is made up entirely of notes that any alto should be able to easily reach, while at the same time showing off a wide range.
Full of character, this song is not very frequently used (nor are most other pieces from Witches of Eastwick), so it presents a good opportunity for you to “wow” your director!
7. “A Change in Me” – Beauty and the Beast
Although songs from Beauty and the Beast are frequently used in auditions, “A Change in Me” is not used as often. The song starts quite low but rises much higher near the end, so it’s perfect for showing off a good range.
8. “How ‘Bout a Dance” – Bonnie and Clyde
Show off your sassy side with this one! This is a fun alto song to sing and because the show didn’t necessarily take off, you probably won’t be competing with anyone else singing this one.
9. “A Mother Doesn’t Matter Anymore” – Bye Bye Birdie
This is one of the best audition songs for altos hoping to land an older or more belting role. It’s a showstopper that’ll require you to use your chest voice and let it all out.
10. “Must Winter Come So Soon” – Vanessa
If you’re an alto auditioning for something more classical, this one is an excellent choice! It’s especially great for an alto performing for a classical because unlike other similar choices, it’s in English.
Funny Audition Songs for Altos
If you have a sense of humor and you’re trying to land a musical theater role that showcases just that, you may want to consider using one of these funny audition songs for altos:
- “Just Around the Corner” – The Addams Family
- “I Love Play Rehearsal” – Be More Chill
- “One Hundred Easy Ways” – Wonderful Town
- “Lost in the Brass” – Band Geeks
- “Show Off” – The Drowsy Chaperone
And if you’re trying to land a specific character part as a comedic actress, you’ll want to consider these comedic audition songs:
- “Adelaide’s Lament” – Guys and Dolls
- “Broadway Baby” – Follies
- “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend” – Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
- “Good ‘N’ Evil” – Jekyll & Hyde
- “It’s a Perfect Relationship” – Bells Are Ringing
- “Mein Herr” – Cabaret
- “Special” – Avenue Q
- “There’s a Fine, Fine Line” – Avenue Q
- “Whatever Lola Wants” – Damn Yankees
Disney Audition Songs for Altos
Who doesn’t love a classic Disney tune? Here are some great songs for altos to sing at auditions:
- “After All of This and Everything” – Freaky Friday
- “I Want the Good Times Back” – The Little Mermaid
- “Easy as Life” – Aida
- “Shadowland” – The Lion King
- “That’s Rich” – Newsies
Uptempo Audition Songs for Altos
Looking for some good songs for altos to sing for auditions – that are perhaps a bit more upbeat? Consider these top tunes!
- “Always True to You in My Fashion” – Kiss Me, Kate
- “Gotta Get Out” – Ordinary Days
- “I Want to Go to Hollywood” – Grand Hotel
- “It’s a Perfect Relationship” – Bells are Ringing
Old-Fashioned Audition Songs for Altos
Here are some audition songs for altos that are right out of the golden ages!
- “A Trip to the Library” – She Loves Me
- “And I Was Beautiful” – Dear World
- “Cabaret” – Cabaret
- “Lazy Afternoon” – The Golden Apple
- “Sadie, Sadie” – Funny Girl
- “So What?” – Cabaret
- “The Boy Next Door” – Meet Me in St. Louis
- “We Deserve Each Other” – Me and Juliet
Other Good Audition Songs for Altos
If you still haven’t found what you’re looking for, check out the additional suggestions for your alto audition.
- “Here We Are” – Gloria Estefan
- “Lithium,” “Good Enough,” or “Lacrymosa” – Evanescence
- “Close to You,” “Rainy Days and Mondays,” or “Only Yesterday” – The Carpenters
- “The Power of Goodbye,” “Frozen,” or “Live to Tell” – Madonna
- “As We Stumble Along” – The Drowsy Chaperone
- “Chanson” – The Baker’s Wife
- “Funny Honey” – Chicago
- “I Just Want to be a Star” – Nunsense
- “Lost and Found” – City of Angels
- “Somebody Older” – Steel Pier
- “There Are Worse Things I Could Do” – Grease
- “Time Heals Everything” – Mack & Mabel
- “You Don’t Know This Man” – Parade
Best Audition Songs for Altos That Are Contemporary
Looking for something a bit more modern? Here are some contemporary audition songs for altos.
- “Asheville” – Bright Star
- “Days of Plenty” – Little Women
- “I Dreamed a Dance” – Next to Normal
- “Maybe I Like It This Way” – The Wild Party
- “See I’m Smiling” – The Last Five Years
- “The Hill” – Once
- “What a Mother Does” – A Christmas Story
While the most important thing is that you choose a song you enjoy and are comfortable with, there are some alto songs that may be overperformed during auditions. If you want to avoid those, you may want to skip songs from popular musicals like Les Miserables and Wicked.
Some other songs to avoid include:
- “As Long As He Needs Me” – Oliver!
- “I Dreamed a Dream” – Les Misérables
- “Extraordinary” – Pippin
- “More I Cannot Wish You” – Guys and Dolls
What Are Good Songs to Sing for a Musical Audition?
Any of these audition songs for altos should suit you just fine – but be sure to choose one that matches your personality, vocal range, and unique singing style!
No matter which one you choose from our list of the best audition songs for altos, you’re sure to make an impression. No matter what, do your best and have fun! And, if you want some extra help, you can take music lessons with a professional music tutor.
Final Tip: Remember that in musical theater, your song choice is usually dependent on the role for which you’re auditioning. Also, there may be a specific song type you’re required to perform so make sure you follow that if asked.
Do you have any more suggestions for good alto audition songs? Let us know in the comments section below.