If you’re taking the stage to perform at your upcoming graduation ceremony, you’ll want to pick a great song to sing! Continue reading for 30 good graduation songs to check out, recommended by voice teacher Molly R...
Spring has sprung! And one of the things many of us attend in late Spring is a graduation ceremony or two (or more, if you’re super social!).
If you’re a singer, you may even be asked to perform at a graduation ceremony or party. And the toughest part isn’t getting up there on stage — it’s choosing what to perform for the audience! So, how do you choose the best graduation song to sing? Here are my tips:
- Consider your audience. Is it at a more formal institution? You want to select something more traditional, or even classic pop. Are you performing at a friend’s party after the big ceremony? Well, maybe current pop may do the trick!
- Consider the message. Whether it’s formal or informal, you’ll want a song that inspires both grads and family! Some of the themes that work include lasting friendships, new beginnings, hope, and confidence.
To get you started, here is my list of 30 fantastic graduation songs that you may want to consider for 2016…
1. “You’ll Never Walk Alone” from “Carousel”
2. “Homeward Bound” by Marta Keen
3. “An Old Irish Blessing”
4. “You Raise Me Up” by Josh Groban
5. “The Prayer” by Josh Groban
6. “The Impossible Dream” from “Man of La Mancha”
7. “Amigos Para Siempre” by Andrew Lloyd Webber
8. “Time to Say Goodbye” by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman
Newer Pop Songs (’90s to current )
1. “Count on Me” by Bruno Mars
2. “Brave” by Sara Bareilles
3. “Now and Forever” by Carole King
4. “You Were There” by Michael Jackson
5. “Firework” by Katy Perry
6. “Dare You to Move” by Switchfoot
7. “Best Day of My Life” by American Authors
8. “When You Believe” by Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey
9. “Hero” by Mariah Carey
Classic Pop Songs (’80s and older)
1. “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong
2. “Make Your Own Kind of Music” by Mama Cass Elliot
3. “One Moment in Time” by Whitney Houston
4. “Here Comes the Sun” by The Beatles
5. “That’s What Friends Are For” by Burt Bacharach
6. “In My Life” by The Beatles
Broadway and Movies
1. “No Matter What” from “Whistle Down the Wind”
2. “Defying Gravity” from “Wicked”
3. “Any Dream Will Do” from “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat”
4. “Dream For Your Inspiration” by The Muppets
5. “Go the Distance” from Disney’s “Hercules”
6. “Our Time” from “Merrily We Roll Along”
7. “You’ll Be In My Heart” from Disney’s “Tarzan”
Final Tips for Singing at Graduation Events
Not only do you want to choose the right song, but you want to be sure you’re super prepared for your big performance. Your voice teacher can help you make sure that the song is suitable for your level and voice type, as well as help you polish it. No voice teacher? No problem! TakeLessons can help connect you for in-person or online voice lessons.
Break a leg!
Readers: Know any other good graduation songs to sing? Leave a comment with your suggestion!