- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Things to expect in a music performance lesson:
- I will not provide any materials
- A majority of practice/rehearsal will take place outside of class time
- If you do not practice, outside of our lesson you will not see any improvements
- you must bring all your books to each class as well as any assigned repertoire
- Lessons are light and fun if the work is done in a timely fashion
- You will be given an appropriate level of works to begin you performance portfolio
- If you wish to make a cancellation, please allow for a 24+hour window of anticipation; if the cancellation comes with less than
24-hours of anticipation the student will forfeit the right to any rescheduling of that lesson,
and will be charged the full price of the lesson
- One exception to this rule is in the case of emergency. (Tragedy, injury, etc.)
- Another exception to this rule is in the case of infectious sickness. If you believe you are sick and possibly infectious then you should stay away and go see a doctor immediately. I will request to see a doctors note if the cancellations persist passed one week.
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
- January 2013
Graduated with a Degree in Music Education from San Diego State University. Presently, earning California State Credentials.
Graduated with a Piano performance diploma from Chula Vista School of Performing Arts division. I have taught several students in many fields including but not limited to: Spanish, Piano (Beginning to Advanced), Vocal Development etc. I am very friendly and personable, but also professional. When students come to me with problems, I will do what ever it takes to bring them to the solution. My motto is, a problem is just another opportunity for you to do your best.
- I have taught: 6 years. Ranging in many subjects such as Spanish, English, Vocal Instruction, Piano Instruction, Guitar, and Musical Performance.
- Choir Director/ Conductor Jan 2010 - Present
- I am a music director for the San Diego Churches of Christ. I've taught the San Diego Church of Christ Fellowship for 9 years. I have led worship for even longer, and i love it.
- Worship intern May 2014 - Sep 2014
- Dallas/ Fortworth Church of Christ
- Led worship, produced music, directed choirs, taught assorted parts to part singers.
- I Speak 3 languages fluently
- I am a certified member of the National Association of Music Educators
- I have received awards in the fields of Voice and Piano for outstanding professionalism, & Excellency
- I am presently teaching ages 5-65, with the exception of one enthusiastic 67 year old.
- I love my job, and I am passionate, above all I will make you excited about the field of study you choose
*** Lesson Details ***
These details change depending on, whether you would like musical training or academic tutoring.
Music is fun and the lessons should be as well. When it comes to practice I recommend that students do spend time (1/2-1hour daily) outside of the lessons practicing to ensure that they see results. If you choose to practice only while in the lesson you will get better but it will be at a slower pace.
- Start with quick warm ups (these work to increase students fluidity with their instrument)
- Work technique
- Assign repertoire depending on skill level.
- Work on assigned repertoire
- Work on technical aspect of the pieces.
Your student will learn much more about their capabilities and their instrument as they will learn many aspects of Music Theory.
I teach beginning- advanced piano lessons touching on posture, hand position, rhythm training, sight-reading, expression, and pop/jazz chord charts. If you want to learn how to play songs by ear that you hear on the radio, I can train you how to do that too! Once I feel that you have surpassed my ability to help you grow, I will be happy to pass you on to a more experienced teacher and attend all of your future recitals.
I teach voice beginner-professional, which includes classical repertoire and technique as well as Musical Theatre, Pop, Rock, Standards, Country, RnB,...you name it. The best part is that you will learn to sing in a manner that will not damage your instrument and in fact will work to fortify your instrument.
- Start with introduction to the standard.
- Work on problems with material.
- Present new methods to reach a solution.
- Work on all assigned work.
- Work on future work to give the student an academic advantage.
I am a hard working tutor that will bring the joy of the subject to our sessions of tutoring. I am strict at times, however, some of my students have referred to me as mellow. I will strive to bring your student up to speed and surpass even their own expectations. I love my students, and I want to see them succeed.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Piano, Recording equipment etc.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Casio Keyboard Piano, sheet music, and much more equipment as needed.
*** Specialties ***
Classical & Jazz Piano, Classical & Contemporary Voice, English Language & Literature, Spanish Language & Literature
I am a music director for the San Diego Churches of Christ. I've taught the San Diego Church of Christ for 3 years. I have led worship for even longer, and i love it.
Led worship, produced music, directed choirs, taught assorted parts to part singers.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.+ Read More
Founded in 1944, National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. (NATS) is the largest professional association of teachers of singing in the world with more than 7,000 members worldwide.
Great lesson! Feel better equipped to order in Spanish now
Kids are into it
A great pick that I refer all my friend to.
Luis has an awesome method of teaching he makes you hungry to learn and helps you to develope a stern study habit to achieve your goals.
We really like Mr Luis, he is very professional, my daughter was very nervous before getting to his house, but once we were there , he make my daughter feel very comfortable. First day, and she already learned alot. Thank you for referring us to Mr Luis
Very professional , Good teacher and I love the way he motivates me into believing that I can do better thank you Luis!!!
Luis is charismatic and wonderful with my six year old son! My son worked with another teacher before we moved who was a great teacher in his own right but wasn't able to elicit the same level of love and excitement for piano that Luis is able to do with him. Professionally he is great to work with from a scheduling/parent standpoint as well. My experience has brought me to believe that great creative talents often lack in organizational skills but Luis has wonderful communication skills and I never have to chase him for answers to questions. We are very pleased with him and highly recommend!+ Read More
Luis has a great personality! It was a pleasure meeting him and he is a great listener. I just had my first piano lesson and I felt the lesson was tailored to suit my needs and ability. I can't wait to go back again!
Luis is an excellent teacher! I really knows how to break things down, so that they are easy to understand! From all the visuals he gives to examples of how to take control of the skill you're trying to learn, he goes above and beyond to understand where you are at. I definitely felt at home when I would learn with him, and he gave me self confidence that I never knew I had with my voice.
Thanks Luis! I hope this helps anyone that is looking into taking classes with Luis, you can't go wrong!
Mr. Luis M. is a very seasoned vocalist, with a comprehensive knowledge of
the physiology of vocal production. His approach to singing is professional
and personalized simultaneously. Luis helped me to get my voice ready for some upcoming performances. Thank you Luis!!
We are very excited about working with Luis, he really put my daughter at ease and definitely know his stuff.
He's a very good teacher, his teaching is very dynamic and has allowed really improve my voice and can sing better now.
He's a great teacher!
I recommend Luis, he is an excellent teacher. My six year old granddaughter loves to go to his class.
Luis is an awesome instructor! He has helped me a great deal with my Spanish and my daughter with her singing. He is patient and kind, and in my opinion goes above and beyond what is expected of a tutor!
Superlative singer, marvelous musician, terrific teacher! I enjoyed my lessons with Luis more than mere words can say. Not only was it enjoyable, but it was exactly what I needed to take my voice to the next level. I have improved my projection immeasurably through Luis' instruction, demonstration, explanation and exercises. I am beyond pleased about my progress and I wholeheartedly recommend Luis because of his totally professional approach.+ Read More
My son is 13, and was very shy about his voice for a very long time. I had been searching to find an instructor for him, and then I heard about Luis from a friend of mine. He came over and quickly was able to befriend my son, soon they where singing together, and all within the first lesson. He is personable, friendly and above all he has brought confidence to my boy. I am so grateful for his services, more than just a vocal instructor he is helping my son to grow in his confidence all around. Now my boy is singing all the time!!!
Great Vocal Instructor!
I'm 50 years old and I have never taken lessons before and was very nervous. But Luis put me at ease and gave me confidence. I also learned a ton. Didn't know that just breathing could be such hard work! Looking forward to continuing with him and hopefully reach my goals of singing with an acapella group.