- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Dear Prospective "Upright Bass" Students,
Thank you for taking the opportunity to visit my TakeLessons profile and for wanting to either start upright bass for the first time or continue upright bass lessons, perhaps with a new instructor. For starters, I am a freelance upright bassist in Greater Boston and I perform for many ensembles throughout the area - I have been called to play for the North Shore Philharmonic, and I have performed in several musical theatre pit orchestras in the area, performing for shows such as "Into the Woods" or "South Pacific". Before I moved to Boston, I lived in Connecticut and performed with the Waterbury Symphony, the New Britain Symphony, and the Wallingford Symphony Orchestra.
I started to get more heavily into teaching for the past two or so years and during that time, I have had numerous successes teaching students. This year, two of my students (one in-person student and one online student) will be attending music colleges in the Fall after going through a vigorous audition process. Many of the local high schools, music schools, and youth orchestra programs invite me as a guest to teach bass "sectionals" where I take the bassists aside and help them learn difficult sections in the repertoire they are preparing for an upcoming concert.
I am humbled to say that I am a graduate of the Boston Conservatory (now a part of Berklee College of Music), where I received my private training from members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra/Boston Pops Orchestra including Lawrence Wolfe and James Orleans. Before that I was in Connecticut, studying at the Hartt School of Music with Robert Black, bassist of a New York City-based ensemble called, Bang-On-A-Can, that regularly performs cutting-edge new compositions. I was able to attend both schools in part because I set the bar high for myself and worked hard to win music scholarships at the entrance auditions to both the Hartt School and Boston Conservatory. I started the bass late, at 17-years-old, practiced strategically to catch up to bassists playing far longer than me, and managed to obtain far more success than I ever expected to achieve, considering that late start.
Because of that experience, I can really show people how to practice efficiently and effectively so that they can get more accomplished and become excited about learning the bass; wanting to learn more and more. I started from scratch at 17 years old, meaning that I did not have any formal classical training prior to that age. It took one concert, a field trip with my high school to the Boston Symphony Orchestra, to convert me into an upright bassist and now I am a professional freelance orchestral bassist in a major US city.
Everyone who is familiar with my teaching personality knows that I'm passionate about what I do, I love what I do, I praise when praise is due and I am upfront with people when I tell them what needs to be fixed and how they can approach fixing it. Everyone knows that I like to figure out what is holding them back from achieving the next level in their playing and I like to make breakthroughs. Getting stuck in a learning rut can be a frustrating time and I know how to help people overcome those situations. I get the most amount of satisfaction seeing a student overwhelmed with joy because they didn't think they can play a piece in tune, or they couldn't make that big shift on the fingerboard and now, with a small adjustment to their practice approach, they are able to do all these things.
I hope that if you are interested in bass lessons that you reach out to me and that we can get started on the next step of your musical journey.
Located in: Weston, MA
Description: Youth Symphony bass sectional
New Britain, CT - Adrian Sylvan, conductor
Waterbury, CT - Leif Bjaland, conductor
Wallingford, CT - Philip Ventre, conductor
· Upright Bass · In home Darren has been great to work with. He is highly motivated and passionate about teaching. I would highly recommend him.
· Upright Bass · In studio Darren is enthusiastic and always looking for ways to "get through" to a student. He has a contagious passion.
· Upright Bass · Online Darren has been a great instructor to my son Terrill. He's learning a lot and getting much better thanks to Darren. I wasn't sure how online sessions would work but they are going great. I'm glad I chose Darren.
· Upright Bass · Darren has been an outstanding teacher for my high school daughter preparing for her college auditions. His attention to detail has vastly improved her technique. She is playing with more confidence also. Darren is fabulous in sharing his time and talent. She has had several private lesson teachers on the past but he is definitely the best!
· Upright Bass · In home Great teacher, very attentive and helpful, and is passionate about teaching proper form and best practices on the upright bass. Highly recommended.