- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am a professional singer, songwriter and actor working in the Chicago area for many years. I have a B.F.A. in Theater/Voice from The University of Kansas and an M.A. in Interdisciplinary Arts from Columbia College Chicago. I've been teaching private vocal instruction since 2003: I host the Singer's Salon in Chicago, a unique and supportive venue for singer's to become more comfortable performing before an audience. I also instruct workshops for vocal technique and performance. For 10 years I was the lead singer for The Red Apples, an acoustic/electric roots band that performed an eclectic mix of rock, swing, blues, country and jazz. Within the past year I have re-energized my theater and cabaret career, appearing at Davenport's Cabaret, in a new solo show, as well as productions at Big Noise Theater and Stage 773. I've also completed two short films and started working on my own web series, about my life as a singer/voice teacher. I also have an art song project consisting of original material with composer Jaroslaw Golembiowski. As a singer and actress I have performed with many major theaters in the Chicago area, including Court Theater, Victory Gardens, National Jewish Theater, Bailiwick Theater, and Prop Theater.
*** Lesson Details ***
As a classically trained singer I will instruct you in all aspects of singing technique, from breath control and support to improving your tone, range, flexibility and resonance. I have recently completed training in Somatic Voicework, The LoVetri Method, which has enriched my understanding of the mechanics and health of the voice, as well as applications of technique to CCM or contemporary musical styles of singing.
My familiarity with a variety of musical styles from pop/rock, R&B, and country, to musical theater, lounge and jazz makes me an ideal teacher for those interested in contemporary styles.
I have spent many years developing my own style of singing and instruction. I draw on my experiences and training not only in music, but theater and movement, (Linklater, Alexander Technique, Grotowski) to create a well rounded approach to singing and performing. As an instructor, I am most interested in helping students find their true voice and artistic style. I teach students to find expression through and with a foundation of technique, rather then in spite of it. I also am very interested in helping students deal with the mental/emotional aspects of performance, an all important area so frequently ignored by music teachers. My style is nurturing, yet disciplined, and sprinkled liberally with good-natured humor."
*** Studio Equipment ***
My studio space is fully equipped with a piano, P.A. system with microphones, CD, MP3 player for tracks, and ability to record lessons if the student desires.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Please have a piano (in tune!) or keyboard for use in your in home lessons.
*** Specialties ***
I am classically trained, but I am very adept at teaching music in a wide variety of styles, including most contemporary styles of music including pop/rock, roots, swing, jazz and blues, country, r&b, and of course musical theater and cabaret. My band performs an eclectic mix of originals and covers in the roots rock genre, and I write music as well. I have many years of experience in the theater as an actress, and I coach acting technique and performance. I coach singer/songwriters, and all types of singers, of all ages. I have a workshop that specializes in helping people learn to perform better in front of an audience, and I host the Singer's Salon in Chicago, which is a supportive opportunity to perform regularly! I also coach bands, to improve their vocals, harmonies, etc.
The Singer's Salon is a group I started to help singers move from classes and workshops to actual performance. We meet for workshops to improve singing and performance, and perform once monthly in a supportive but professional setting to work out nerves and other performance issues. I created a Singer's Spotlight to showcase more advanced singers once a month as well. It's great fun, and we learn bunches!
Wendy P's Voice Studio offers a unique approach for singers to realize their full potential. Wendy's voice lessons, are customized for individual singers, and consist of training the body and voice to create a free, expressive and unique sound. To help her students in the next stage of development she offers performance coaching, and workshops for applying those techniques. She also coaches speech and acting for the actor or public speaker. Finally, she created the Singer's Salon, which she hosts each month, an opportunity for singers to perform in a supportive, nurturing environment.
Created and lead music classes for drop in students in flexible setting for a variety of ages, from infant to preschool. Activities included singing, finger play, physical movement with rhythm, learning new songs, beginning keyboard and rhythm instruments
Taught private voice instruction to students of all ages
Private vocal coaching for students in the Rock Academy
Instructed all singers at Camp Jam in healthy singing technique, including warm-ups and technique exercises, use of microphone and onstage performance. Work with bands on the development of their group, learning songs, creating harmonies and other vocal issues within the band setting.
Taught Acting class for ages 8-11 focusing on improvisational games and skills, writing and creating material, and development of character work, and skills for creating a role for the final project.
Taught both private and group singing classes, focusing on vocal technique, learning music and sight reading.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
Founded in 1944, National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. (NATS) is the largest professional association of teachers of singing in the world with more than 7,000 members worldwide.
· Speaking Voice · Online
· Speaking Voice · Online Having never taken a voice lesson, i wasn't sure what to expect. Wendy gave me very good feedback and practical advice I was able to put into action.
· Singing · In home Professional, friendly, great with my daughter! Win! Win! Win!
· Vocal Training · In studio Working with Wendy was an immense pleasure. I've had various voice instructors and music teachers over the years and she was the first who was able to explain things in a way that I could understand. I had a lot of personal breakthroughs regarding registers and my vocal habits, and I found some new favorite warmups! My voice felt the most versatile it ever has whilst under her instruction. She was also very helpful and willing to work with me and my wacky schedule. In addition she's just very kind and lot of fun to work with. I would not hesitate to work with her again.
· Vocal Training · In studio Finally I found with Wendy my perfect teacher to improve my voice!
· Piano · In home She is doing very good
· Singing · In studio Fun and inviting teacher! learning new stuff and having a good time.
· Acting · In studio Wendy was a wonderful teacher. She is very patient and knowledgeable and really knows what she is doing. She was a pleasure to work with and I would highly recommend her to any student for any subject that she teaches
· Speaking Voice · In studio Wendy is a passionate, highly professional and knowledgeable coach, who is truly committed to helping students achieve their desired effects!
· Audition Prep · In studio Wendy helped me a lot and I will always be grateful. I will begin the recording session in December and I was picked. With God's help I will be on the radio soon. Thank you so much Wendy. I will take some classes in December and January with you... :)