Unlike other teachers that teach multiple instruments and add harmonica to their list, Tim sole focus and expertise is the harmonica!
Tim began playing harmonica at the age of thirteen. In addition to the guidance and nurturing he received from his musical family, Tim studied with harmonica greats Cary Bell and Jerry Portnoy. He also completed courses in music while earning his bachelor’s degree with honors from Kent State University in Ohio. In addition to harmonica, Tim is a fine singer, songwriter and guitarist. An expert blues player, he is also accomplished in the folk, rock and country genres. Before moving to Nashville in 2015, Tim was regarded as one of the finest harmonica players in New England.
Harmonica Instructor, Blues Ensemble coach
· Harmonica · In studio Tim is not only well prepared but clearly has an organized training regime. I really like him and believe I have great instructor!
· Harmonica · In studio He was thorough and patient.
· Harmonica · In studio Tim is a great instructor! He is very knowledgeable with music and easy to work with. The lessons are fun and I learn new things every time. He is very good at explaining things so it is easy to understand. He works with my busy schedule which helps me a lot. I highly recommend him to anyone looking to learn and understand the harmonica fast and correctly.
· Harmonica · Online If you have ever wanted to play harmonica around the campfire with your family and friends, Tim can help you be successful. If you sing or play an instrument, Tim can help you accent your skills by adding the harp to your music. Take some lessons from Tim and you will be amazed. There are many harmonica instructors on this website, so please consider trying Tim as your instructor. I've taken lessons from Tim for 6 years now. I met him at his harmonica book signing and asked if he would teach me since I do not read music...I know rhythms from playing drums when I was younger. I now have my own blues band and do many side projects with the harp. Some tips for those getting started or those that want to become proficient at the harp: come to each lesson with questions about music, equipment and anything you are curious about; his book and website really can help you understand how to play and what to play in most situations; practice in the cellar 2-3 times a week and you will improve quickly. Good luck with your musical journey!
· Harmonica · Online Tim's an amazing harmonica player and instructor. This is not a very common combination as many of the best practitioners of a given art often don't have a clue how to communicate to others what they do. Tim is one of the exceptions. He has a codified approach of teaching the instrument (including a successful textbook), and helps the students systematically learn all the techniques and theory necessary to enjoy this deceptively simple instrument. Once armed with the fundamental building blocks, Tim's students are invited to explore and expand their musical experience through developing their blues and rock-and-roll solo abilities as well as band/backing skills.
· · Online Tim's knowledge of the harp is unsurpassed. His teaching style is organized and he is extremely patient! He is also adept at many genres of music and can tailor instructions to what I wanted to learn. Brilliant musician and super nice guy!