- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I have taught private instruction and group instruction in such varied subjects as Music Theory/Ear Training, Woodwinds, and Crochet. I completed a B.A. of Music at University of Massachusetts - Boston, in August, 2014. As a working musician, I currently perform oboe with the Brockton Symphony Orchestra (Dir. James Orent) and the University of Massachusetts - Boston Chamber Orchestra (Dir. Dr. Jon C. Mitchell). I have most recently studied under Dr. Emilian Badea in both Oboe and Accordion, with Bulent Guneralp in Piano and Voice, and with Dr. David Patterson for Music Theory, Ear Training, Arrangement and Composition. Music has been an important part of my life for over 20 years.
For information regarding my approach to instruction of a specific subject, please click on the name of the subject listed above for a full description.
As I do not have access to a car, I prefer that students come to my home studio in Somerville, or that they be within public transit options.
N.B. I own a dog, so for those with allergies, it might be best to meet in your own home.
I have played with Calliope Ensemble, Bridgewater State Concert Band, UMass Boston Chamber Singers and others as a performer.
Worked with students once a week or more often, teaching music theory and composition.
First chair, second oboe position at BrSO, under the direction of James Orent.
First chair, first oboe position at UMBCO, under the direction of Dr. Jon C. Mitchell.
Peer Tutor for all levels of Music Theory and Ear Training at UMass - Boston, working with an average of 15 students per semester.
Primary point-of-contact for new knitters and crocheters on campus. One-on-one instruction, or group instruction provided for new and experienced crafters.
· Piano · In home My daughter simply loves her piano class. Thanks for making the class so interesting
· Sewing · In studio Tegan was very helpful. After just 30min lesson, i left with more skill and confidence.
· Crocheting · In home Tegan is such a great teacher, she is very patient and helped me learn two stitches my first lesson! I finished my first ream of yarn and I'm excited for more lessons.
· Clarinet · In home I usually avoid doing reviews -- takes time I don't have. But I was very impressed with Tegan's approach with my son, which I witnessed in its entirety, along with her availability (easy to accommodate & then tweak again our schedule this summer, which was key). She's very patient while being precise, which is just what Paul -- who has ADHD & Asperger's, which means he's easily distracted -- needs. It was a good idea to make the first lesson a combined hour (to learn how to care for the instrument, moisten the reed, posture, where hands should be, forming the mouth, etc.). She knows the book Paul's school uses She was waiting for us with a parking pass (essential in Somerville). I feel really good about the prospect of Paul being able to "catch up" this summer with the first year school year instruction he missed out, given Tegan's focus & attention. One possible drawback for some others -- vs. my son & me, who value substance (where Tegan is outstanding) over appearances -- might be that Tegan's apartment is more like an early '70's hippie pad (cramped un-air-conditioned attic 3rd floor walk-up, with no place for me to wait during my son's lesson except scrunched up against an eave in the studio/ living room, 1 foot from their chairs, petting the friendly dog) than a more traditional dedicated studio in the home, as his piano teacher has.
· Flute · In home Tegan is a very talented, knowledgeable, supportive instructor. My first impression...and lesson...were positive! She is both patient and instructive.
· Sewing · In home Great experience, Tegen is a good explainer and a good improviser in sewing, looking for fitting solutions if she doesn't already know them. Models how to figure out for yourself in the future.
· Music Theory · In home Tegan is a lovely young woman with great skills in teaching children music theory and piano for beginners. Two of our children are currently taking lessons and both are thrilled with Tegan. She is patient, kind, a master at her art and very entertaining while creating a constructive, fun atmosphere for children.
Tegan is very prompt - and her focus on teaching is evident from the moment she sits at the piano. This is our first experience with TakeLessons but definitely not our last thanks to Tegan. She is an asset and a joy to be around. We will definitely continue our class' with her - she is the perfect choice for our family.
· Sewing · In studio I've only had two 2 hour sewing lessons so far with Tegan (I plan on taking more) and I am already showing a great deal of improvement and have a lot more confidence in my sewing. Tegan is super helpful and knowledgeable. She shows a deep understanding of sewing because she knows multiple different ways and techniques on how to approach a task and explains why, how, and what the outcome will be. She is patient and makes you feel very comfortable and relaxed which is sometimes hard to do when you're learning something new. I would totally recommend her to anyone new to sewing! Overall my experience has been great :)
· Music Theory · In studio Tegan is an adept music tutor. She is patient and passionate about teaching the material. She is also skilled at working with her tutees in a way that it most compatible with their learning styles and has a deep understanding of music theory.