- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I provide private instruction for beginner to advanced trombone, bass trombone, and music theory students. My goal is to create a comfortable atmosphere in which students can feel free to express themselves through the music they play. I keep students mentally engaged by asking them questions that are intended to direct them toward creating a clear, personal interpretation of their music. This gives the student a sense of artistic authority and ownership over their playing and creates more enjoyment in daily practicing and playing. I advocate for students listening to as much music as they can, whether it is a live concert or a recording, which I view as an essential key to swift musical development.
I attended Northwestern University for my undergraduate degree in trombone performance. There I studied with a world class trombone faculty consisting of Michael Mulcahy, Timothy Higgins, Douglas Wright, Randall Hawes, Pete Ellefson, and Christopher Davis. Being able to study with multiple professors afforded me a richer knowledge of how to keep improving in my playing. I also learned a lot from going to hear live music at the Chicago Symphony and Chicago Lyric Opera. Hearing top tier orchestras week after week engrained the sounds I wanted to make into my head. My approach to trombone is along the lines of the great brass pedagogue Arnold Jacobs- Wind and Song. His teachings of the simplicity and efficiency of airflow, combined with the clearest mental musical ideas possible really resonate with me as I play the trombone. I hope to pass my knowledge and lifelong passion for music on to all of my students.
· Trombone · In studio Best instructor ever
· Trombone · In studio Rachel is a fantastic teacher and tutor. Her expansive knowledge of music theory and ear training contributes to her vast musical ability. Not only is she a great performer, but she is able to break down the music and explain it in a variety of ways in order to effectively teach students at any level. Most importantly, Rachel is an advocate for students expressing their own musical voice. She will not tell a student exactly how to play a given piece, but rather she will teach them the necessary tools for the student to play well, and allow them to explore their own musical interpretation from there.
Outside of music, Rachel is a genuine and kind-hearted person. She is understanding and empathetic, and this carries over into her teaching as well. That being said, Rachel holds herself and her students to high standards. Students will hear improvement in their tone, technique, and musicality as they work with Rachel. I give her my highest recommendation for all subjects.
· Trombone · In studio Great teacher! Very helpful and smart.