I'm Mike, and I'm thrilled to be part of the TakeLessons team. I first picked up the guitar at the age of 5, and have never looked back! I began formal Jazz training in high school and continued studying guitar and composition at Oberlin College and Wesleyan University. After graduating, I played Organ Trio and small combo jazz in LA, studied Brazilian and African percussion, and went to Japan to study Shamisen and Taiko drumming. I've been playing in various groups since arriving in NYC in 2005, and have recently been working on engineering and composing for film.
My strength lies in my versatility - I love music of all kinds. Whether it's Soul, Samba, or Salsa, Rock, Pop or Hip Hop, I am very good at communicating the mechanics of music so that my students not only learn to play, but learn to listen and write. I have a studio space in Manhattan as well as a small mixing studio in my Brooklyn apartment, and I'm happy to show students the ins and outs of recording along with theory and guitar technique.
*** Lesson Details ***
Music is fun!!! I strive for all my students to enjoy themselves, to have a great time learning about the world of music.
I use a song-based approach to guitar playing. Armed with just a small vocabulary of chords, you can play hundreds of great songs. My students will determine the course of their lesson plan by selecting songs they want to learn. While maintaining proper technique and effective practice methods, we will learn the fundamentals of the guitar by playing the music that we love. After 6 months, you will know all the basic chords, and the fundamentals of playing a solo. As lessons progress, you also learn song structure and some basic harmonic theory so you can begin creating on your own.
*** Travel Equipment ***
The student is expected to provide his or her own guitar.
*** Specialties ***
Jazz, ear training, songwriting, theory
I teach private lessons, group lessons, adult classes and rock camp intensives with this great guitar school. Most of the focus, musically, is on rock and pop, but we will go wherever the spirit moves us.
· Guitar · In home My son had a great time! Mike was friendly and made it fun for him to get comfortable on the guitar.
· Guitar · In studio He was very helpful. Great for beginners!!!!
· Guitar · In studio I had my first guitar lesson today and it was everything that I imagined it would be. Mike was very patient, kind and encouraging. Just what a first time student would want and need!
· Guitar · In studio Meeting Mike for the first time is like visiting an old friend. My initial session was both engaging and very informative. Mike exudes a great passion for the arts. During the session, he was insightful in terms of identifying areas I need to improve upon. He assessed my skills level, then providing the necessary tools to assist and guide me through the process. By the end of the session, I was encouraged and motivated to learn more. Thanks Mike!
· Guitar · In home great teacher, smart, enthusiastic, and knows his intrument
· Guitar · In home Mike's a great teacher and a great guy. He has the rare combination of a ton of knowledge and a lot of patience.
· Guitar · In studio Mike you are awesome. I have learned different techniques both strumming and finger picking. An easy going teacher who is dedicated to his students and music. Always breaks down the music and gives options in chords, strumming and picking. Thanks.
· Guitar · Awesome teacher!
Mike is engaging and wonderful to work with. He is task oriented. After just a month I have learned chords to three different songs and can perform two of them. He does not shy away from different music. He allows you to take your time and always has various techniques of showing you how to learn the instrument. His time is flexible and works with your schedule as well.
· Guitar · Great Instructor!
I have taken lessons with a lot of different teachers for a lot of years, and Mike is the best teacher that I have ever had by far. He teaches me the stuff that I want to learn, and he keeps the instruction interesting and fresh. He is available in case I need to contact him with a specific question ouside the lesson. He is a fantastic teacher!
· Guitar · Mike B- Fantastic Teacher
My son Jayden just completed his first lesson in home with Mike and we are both overjoyed with his approach and ability. He communicated with me all along before the lesson, letting me know what he would bring and wanting to know what Jay was like. He spent time getting to know Jay before they worked on some things in lesson 1. He really is down to earth , kind and overall proffesional with his lesson. We feel blessed to have this kind of person teaching guitar to a zealous learner.