Michael C. was eleven years old when he began to play the electric bass guitar. He decided to get an electric bass because it was the one instrument needed to start a band among his friends. In addition to playing the electric bass, Michael enjoyed time practicing on the guitar and piano in high school. Transferring the knowledge and finger technique to the guitar came easy because of the similarities between guitar and the bass. And growing up with an upright piano in the house always lead to tinkering and eventually became a proficiency after college. In 1996 Michael enrolled at the the Philadelphia University of the Arts. He was awarded a presidential merit scholarship and a university grant based on his entrance audition. During his studies Michael was recruited for a student ensemble also know as Metagroove. During this time Michael had shared stages with guitarist John Scofield, Singer Ike Willis (Frank Zappa Band), Medeski Martin and Wood and The Disco Biscuits among countless others.
C. has completed a Master of Arts in music education as well as Bachelor of Music in bass performance. Michael is qualified to teach on bass, upright bass, guitar, drums, piano, voice and a rare instrument called steel pan (steel drum) among others. Michael performs as a freelance musician. He can be found performing regularly at private parties and events around the greater Philadelphia area. He has performed playing most styles and genres of music. Among these styles are Pop, R & B, Blues, Hip Hop, Jazz, Calypso, Flamenco, Latin, Pop, Musical Theater and Rock & Roll.
C. is a trained professional and prefers to cater his lessons to the individual need of each student. He believes that each student is unique and will encounter challenges in their own manner. Michael likes to supplement his lessons using musical interests of the student. C. has been known to arrange popular pieces for recital performances for his students. Some of the pieces he has arranged for his students include Something in the Way She Moves (Beetles), Long distance Run Around (The Who), Iron Man (Black Sabbath), That' s What Makes You Beautiful (One Direction), Hall of Fame (The Script) among many more. Michael encourages his students to use the music they love to challenge their ability and cognitive processes. Michael has the experience and training required to inspire and motivate you to become successful not only in music but in your daily endeavors.
*** Lesson Details ***
Michael has over twelve years experience teaching music and chooses to cater his lessons to the goals of his clients. He does not follow a set curriculum because different students tend to have different goals and expectations.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Logic Pro X, Reason, Fast Track pro audio, Double Bass, Piano, Rhodes Electric Piano, Acoustic guitar, Electric Guitar, Flute, Sax, Clarinet, trumpet, Electric basses, Steel Pans (drums), etc.
Audio recordings of each lesson are free of charge and available upon request. C. is capable of creating demos and audio recordings as well as audio production of original material.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Laptop, Guitars, PA system, Basses, Metronome, Method Books, etc.
*** Specialties ***
Steel Pan lessons are available. Access to a steel pan(drum) is a requirement for this specialty.
Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
· Piano · In studio My granddaughter tried to talk me into canceling her lesson . After her lesson she said she liked it.
· Piano · In home Great first lesson. Prompt engaging professional and patient
· Guitar · In studio Felt comfortable wth Mike. Easy going right now. He sent me 6 exercises.
· Guitar · In home Very patient!
· Guitar · In studio Michael is a great Guitar teacher,And he's a Deadhead!!!
· Piano · In home Michael was an amazing teacher. he worked very well with my 7 year old. He really knows how to connect with kids as well as adults and keeps them interested. He is very talented and knowledgeable about many instruments, always on time and super professional. I would definitely recommend taking lessons with Michael he is amazing!
· Piano · In home Able to teach age appropriately and skill level. Super engaging for our little one!! Professional. Our son is excited for his next lesson!!
· Guitar · In home My kids lovedo him my younger ones will be taking guitar lessons from him again soon
· Drum · In studio Michael has been very patient wiht my son from the very begining of classes, always trying to encourage him to improve and learn from his mistakes. I would definitely recommend Michael as a Teacher to anyone who is looking to start learning an instrument.
· Piano · In home Great teacher