Males 5 and up
Hello and welcome to your studio!
I teach from the comfort of my home studio in the Everett/Snohomish area. My teaching style is developed specifically for each student based on their background and experience. I can help you learn to play the songs you love!
I enjoy sharing what I know with my fellow students. I have seen the impact music has on families; it unites them like a beautiful song. Some of my students take lessons along with their parents. This creates opportunities for duets and so much more. Many of my students compliment my patience and say they have learned so much in so little time.
Life with music is a journey but not only that it becomes part of your lifestyle. Being a good, dedicated student will bring so many wonderful moments and rewards as you take the journey with your instrument of choice. I have students entering talent shows, performing at assemblies, choir, open mics, musical theatre and locally for the elderly during Christmas.
About your lessons:
I host the following recitals: a Christmas and Spring recital.
Teaching Philosophy for Piano
* For the very young beginner (4-8), we will refer to Dogs and Birds, which is a wonderful book series developed in the United Kingdom that includes colorful illustrations making learning music enjoyable for the young musician.
* We will journey through Faber books and loose music material for your music studies.
* You will learn all major and minor scales.
* Other books like Bastien and Alfred will be included.
* Have fun playing songs.
* Learn to sightread.
* Ear-training development.
* Learn about technique and proper poster.
* Enjoy learning songs in classical style. Even the best jazz musicians recommend training classically before jazz.
* Learn solfege.
* For older learners you will refer to Faber studies, loose materials and Hanon drills.
Teaching Philosophy for Guitar
* The younger beginner will start with Alfred's kids guitar course.
* Learn how to read tablature and music.
* William Leavitt's Berkley guitar study.
* Learn how to play scales in the first position on your guitar.
* Build rhythm studies and cadences.
* Develop ear training and dexterity.
* Sightread chords and melodies.
* Play duets.
* Have fun playing songs.
About your instructor:
I teach piano and guitar.
I cover the Everett/Snohomish area.
Has choreographed a musical and loves to dance.
Works with special needs students.
Has studied with many professional musicians and professors.
Melissa attended Cornish College of the Arts from 2005-2007 to earn her music composition degree. She later transferred to Trinity Lutheran College earning her Bachelor of Music degree in Music and Worship. She has been playing music since she was five years old. Melissa has been in touring bands in California, choir throughout college, community bands, open mics, gigs, musical theatre and theatre since 2005. She interned at the 5th Avenue Theatre in downtown Seattle. She was recently seen performing guitar along with one of her students in Cotton Patch Gospel. You may have also seen her as an accompanist and actor in It's A Wonderful Life, A Live Radio Play, at Warm Beach Camp's dinner theater, 2014. She's played music for residents at a retirement home, is getting ready to record her first full album and teaches music to children at Northshore Christian Academy.
I look forward to serving you as your music instructor!
I teach voice, piano and guitar.
I teach piano, voice and guitar lessons to students of all ages.
The Musikgarten classes offered at this studio are designed to nurture the childs music aptitude by engaging children and their families in singing and movement activities which help attune the ear, refine the voice, and develop a rhythmic body through which music can be expressed. Additionally, instrumental activities are part of the program, ranging from playing simple rhythm instruments such as sticks and drums for babies and toddlers to playing keyboards for older children.
This is the only program that offers curricula for newborns through group piano instruction. It is based on a keen understanding of how children learn, in both a general sense and, specifically, how they learn music.
There are weekly assignments for families and as the children grow with the program. They learn piano pedagogy and solfeggio as they enter Cycle of Seasons and Pre-piano classes.
I teach music to a group of young students from ages 3 to 5. They learn how to speak and tap rhythm, dance, participate in interactive storytelling, sing using only their voices and not Cd's, education about nature and seasons, use drums and jingles and ear-training (solfege). The program I utilize is ranked #1 for childhood music education. It is the only program that teaches piano pedagogy.
I played music transitions and accompanied singers for the recent play I was seen in this winter season in Stanwood, WA.
I had the honor and privilege to sit in the orchestra pit as a guitarist for Cotton Patch Gospel the musical.
I performed in an original musical called Grace on Deck for the winter season at the Lights of Christmas.
This was a wonderful experience. I love this theater and its company.
· Guitar · In home I absolutely adore Melissa, she has taught me so much in a short period of time and her style is a perfect fit for me. Highly recommend!
· Guitar · In home Melissa was great at explaining the details and had me playing my first song at my first lesson!
· Piano · In home Perfect for my dtr!
· Piano · In studio Melissa did a great job with my ten year old daughter. She is knowledgeable, kind, and patient. We look forward to future lessons with her.
· Piano · In home Thank you for your continued amazing work!
· Piano · In studio I am a guitar player making the transition to piano. In just the three short months I have been taking lessons from Melissa, she has improved my ability to sight read, deepened my knowledge of music theory, helped me learn over 20 songs on piano. I have have many music teachers over the last two decades and Melissa is, by far, the most knowledgeable, patient, and encouraging.
· Piano · Fantastic teacher and role model
Melissa has done a fantastic job working with my 9 year old daughter on both Piano and Guitar lessons. Melissa is patient and consistent with her teaching methods and that resonates extremely well with my daughter. My daughter has learned a TON is a very short time frame. I look forward to continued lessons.
· Guitar · Makes learning fun!
Melissaâs enthusiasm and fun attitude, coupled with deep knowledge and professionalism makes lessons enjoyable and rewarding. The half-hour goes far too quickly!
I strongly recommend Melissa for your guitar instruction needs.
· Music Theory · We were great peers in college
I had the privilege to work with Melissa when I was a student at Cornish College of the Arts. Melissa was always so dedicated and encouraging towards me and my musical goals. If I had a question she would be right there to help me solve it. Melissa's strongest suit in my opinion is her ability to compose music. She is extremely patient, passionate and detailed in her work. Thanks Melissa for everything!
· Guitar · Great Teacher - Very Knowledgable - Warm Environment
I contacted Melissa for Vocal & Choreography lessons. She was very knowledgable, thorough, and gentle during instruction. She really knows how to bring out the best in me -- I didn't think I could do it! We went over voice, diction, and scales as well as the music from the play I was in. I know I wouldn't have been able to perform on stage without her help. Thanks so much!