Ian's vast and diverse experience on the Northeast music scene has given him the background that rivals the best of many professional musicians working today. From band tours of the US, Canada, and Hong Kong and a handful of recordings under various acts, Ian remains busy in his home city of Philadelphia. Ian has performed with such acts as Jazz great Grover Washington Jr. to the Bucks County Symphony Orchestra.
Ian has taught private lessons in Bass both electric and acoustic, piano, and guitar for the last ten years in which he has also lent his talents to the esteemed Paul Green School of Rock and Day Jams Summer Rock School. He has also been involved with a number of after-school programs in the Philadelphia area where he taught private music lessons, music theory, and rock ensemble.
Ian's musical training began with piano at 7, saxophone at 9, self-taught guitar at 11, and finally electric and acoustic bass in high school. He was awarded scholarships to Philadelphia's Settlement Music School and the Berklee College of Music. Finally settling in NYC, Ian completed his B.F.A. in Jazz and Contemporary Music at the New School School for Social Research in 2000. Ian has recently completed his PA Teacher Certification K-12 from Temple University 2011.
Why study music with Ian?
Quite simply Ian is a fun, creative, open-minded, and experienced teacher/musician who teaches a wide genre of music styles. He simply loves all music. Jazz, Classical, Funk/R&B, Rock, Metal, and Country are all within the expertise of Ian's vocabulary. Ian teaches with the same intensity and passion that he performs with. Ian truly cares about teaching each and every student the best way he knows.
*** Lesson Details ***
Ian's lessons are a combination of goals set by himself and the student. Whether you aspire to be the next rock god in 3 months or to just play casually with your friends at the next barbecue, Ian is there to understand your musical goals. Every student is different therefore Ian accommodates his style and methods to each the individual. Old-school rigidity are not what Ian is about. Rather, Ian dips from both the traditions of the past and new techniques of today.
Technique, Song Performance, Harmony, Rhythm, and Music Theory are all important components covered in the lesson plan. Sight reading standard music notation is encouraged but not necessary. Rhythm notation is a mandatory skill every musician must know and is taught from the beginning. Song choices can be tailored to the students tastes however Ian seems fit. Ian has no problem teaching anything from the Jonas Brothers to Jimi Hendrix.
Improvisation, Groove, and Ear Training are areas of special interest and study which can also be taught to enhance a students studies.
Students skills and goals are assessed every few months to ensure student and teacher are on a clear and steady path. Everything from major and minor scales to song retention is logged down to provide a means of assessment.
As both a teacher and playing musician, Ian honestly believes that it
takes a combination of 20% talent and 80% sweat/hard work to be a successful and
competent musician. Therefore a set practice time length is agreed upon
between Ian and the student to which the student must stick to a practice schedule as
best as he or she can. Learning not just "what to practice" but "how to practice" is an important skill that is acquired through patience, hard work, and repetition. Ian can show you the skills it takes to master the "Art Of Practice".
Lesson times of 30 minutes and 45 minutes are recommended for beginning students.
60 minutes for intermediate to more advanced students
*** Studio Equipment ***
Casio 88-key weighted keyboard
Fender Telecaster Guitar
Fender Precision Bass
Kolstein Upright Bass
Vintage Ampeg Bass and Guitar Amplifiers
Fostex 8-track Digital Recorder
*** Travel Equipment ***
I always have a bass or guitar on hand , a metronome, CDs, iPod, and music manuscript.
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in Classical, Jazz, Rock, R&B, and Funk on Upright Bass and Electric Bass.
I teach Beginning and Intermediate Level Piano and Guitar in Classical, Rock, and Popular Music Styles.
Piano, Guitar, and Bass Lessons
Music Theory Class
· Piano · In studio Although this was just my 3rd lesson with Ian, he's already taught me so much! He definitely knows how to turn your weaknesses into strengths. He packs a lot of lesson into a short amount of time and breaks things down in a way that even the lowest skill level piano player (i.e. Me) can understand. Great teacher, highly recommend...
· Guitar · In studio Ian was very patient and cool even though we were about 15min. late. Nik really liked the lesson and was playing this morning.
· Piano · In home very good experience very good teacher really liked him
· Guitar · In home Ian is great. He's been my teacher for three years now. Before I started with Ian, I had already been playing for years but had stopped getting better. Ian helped me quickly get over barriers by helping me with music theory and technique. He actually made music theory interesting and fun, in a way that improved my playing. Over time, he's continued to challenge me and help me improve. He's been very patient, and he's been able to introduce me to new songs and artists that have kept me interested and kept me practicing.
· Guitar · In studio Today was my first lesson with Ian. He was very welcoming and in a short time understood what I was seeking and focused his efforts superbly. I was very pleased :o)
· Piano · In studio My 7 year old twin girls both enjoy their lessons with Ian! They say Ian makes piano lesson so much fun and have asked for more lessons! Thank you Ian!!!
· Guitar · In home Really enjoying the lessons. Ian is cool.
· · Excellent Teacher
Ian is a very knowledgeable and patient instructor! Very helpful for a beginner student such as myself.
· · Lessons
I love the way you explain the notes to the kids. They all have told me how much they like you and feel very comfortable with your teaching. You key into each child needs. I see great progress with Nik and Liam Kat needs more practice which she will do this week. See you Thursday.
· · A Talented and Generous Instructor!
My wife and I have been taking lessons with Ian for almost 2 months now - I have guitar and she has piano. We both find Ian to be a very talented teacher, who appropriately pushes us to do better. Ian is generous with his time and helpful comments. Highly recommend!