- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
I hold a Master's Degree in Oboe Performance from the Bob Cole Conservatory of Music at California State University, Long Beach. During my studies I studied with Carolyn Hove and Humbert Lucarelli.
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
Grace has extensive experience teaching private and group lessons, including lessons in Piano, English Horn and reed making. Her students have gone on to win scholarships and place in honor orchestras. Currently, her students hold the top spots in nTyme's (North Torrance Youth Musicians Ensemble) Chamber Orchestra.
Locally, Grace has performed with the Dana Point Symphony, Symphony Irvine, as well as other groups around Southern California. Previously, she was a long time member of the Cheshire Symphony.
Whether you choose to take lessons online, in my home studio, or in your home, I strive to make each lesson engaging, informative, and fun! Students are expected to practice in-between lessons and come to lessons prepared with their instrument and music. I also encourage students to bring any music that they're interested in learning to their lessons.
In-studio lessons take place in my home studio in Stanton, CA. Availability is limited, so please use the Ask-A-Question feature if a time you'd like isn't currently available.
Currently, I'm traveling to the Southbay area on Tuesdays and Thursdays only. If you reside within that area and the time you'd like isn't in my availability, please let me know, as I may be able to make it work (depending on location). If you have any scheduling questions, please contact me before booking lessons.
I don't offer traditional group lessons, as I've found they slow down the progress of both students and therefore aren't cost effective. Arrangements can be made for back to back lessons instead. Please contact me before booking lessons.
Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have, and I can't wait to meet you!
Make and sell quality handmade oboe reeds. Reeds are available for sale through the Gem Reeds store on Etsy.
Gem Reeds was started with the mission to help make high quality affordable reeds accessible to students of every level. Each reed is hand made from start to finish, ensuring that each reed is made to precise specifications.
Three levels of reed are available, for the beginning student to the professional. Gem Reeds are always tied on 47mm brass staples with cane shaped using a Samson+1 shape.
● Provide private oboe instruction to elementary to high school students. Students have gone on to participate in honor bands, win scholarships, and study music in college.
● Analyze and resolve playing issues quickly and efficiently. Effective and efficient practice techniques are a major part of each lesson.
● Provide students with skills that transcend their instrument, and music itself. Math, language, and creative story telling are incorporated into lessons. Each exercise is broken down into its elementary elements, and once each element is mastered, the exercise is reassembled from the ground up.
● Acknowledge that each student is unique, and approach each issue in their playing differently. Tailor how each issue is approached and resolved, based on individual learning style and previous experiences.
● Provide private lessons on oboe, english horn, piano, and reed making to students of all ages and abilities.
● Provide lessons in studio, in student's homes, and online.
● Work with oboe students of all ages and levels to improve their playing.
● Work with beginning piano students to gain a firm foundation on the instrument. Focus on note-reading, rhythm, and technique.
● Provided private and group oboe lessons to elementary thru high school students
● Led weekly group reed making classes. By the end of the year, students were routinely making their own reeds.
● Helped coach the woodwind chamber music class.
● Led a seminar class of 20-30 students.
● Created and executed lesson plans based on lecture progress.
Madeleine Dring's Three Piece Suite
Phi Beta Delta, founded at California State University, Long Beach in 1986, was established as an organization in 1987 with 38 chartered chapters, many of which had existed for a considerable time previously at the local level. It is the first honor society dedicated to recognizing scholarly achievement in international education. As of December of 2012, 192 chapters have been chartered.+ Read More
In 1897 at the University of Maine, ten senior students, two faculty members, and the school president created an honor society that was different from the few others then in existence-one that recognized and honored excellence in all academic disciplines. Under the leadership of undergraduate student Marcus L. Urann, the group formed the Lambda Sigma Eta Society, which was later renamed Phi Kappa Phi from the initial letters of the Greek words forming its adopted motto: Philosophìa Krateìto Photôn, "Let the love of learning rule humanity." Phi Kappa Phi's mission is "To recognize and promote academic excellence in all fields of higher education and to engage the community of scholars in service to others."+ Read More
Grace is a kind and thoughtful teacher.
Loved the personal attention given. I was worried about the online setting but it was super effective. My son is very excited about these classes. Highly recommended.
I am very careful with how I bring around my home and kids, but with Grace, I immediately felt at ease. Grace is good with kids and my daughter absolutely loved her first piano lesson. Thanks Grace!
Grace is an insightful teacher who communicates well and gives constructive feedback. I like that she devotes part of the lesson to reed-making.
Grace was on-the-dot punctual, and had me play what I could for her. Right away she locked in on my intonation, which I have been having problems with. She asked several questions, which was a good thing. She followed up with a printed list of things for me to work on. All this was done with a pleasant gentleness which has me looking forward to the next lesson.+ Read More
Very professional and knowledgable
I like that she was patient in evaluating Rebekah's skill level. She made no assumptions and politely asked if Rebekah knew certain topics. She then covered them thoroughly. Rebekah commented that she liked how quickly she moved.
I found it really helpful and the quality of the on line lesson was really very good.
Alec was nervous but he loved it!
Grace is an excellent teacher. I am learning so many things at exactly the right pace. I look forward to our lessons every week!!
Great first lesson today! Grace was patient and quite helpful!
Grace is very nice and very patience with her student. She teaches very well and make it fun to learn.
Grace is nice and very patient. She teaching very well.
Grace is nice and very patient. She teaching very well.