Grace holds a Master's Degree in Oboe Performance from the Bob Cole Conservatory of music at California State University, Long Beach. At the Cole Conservatory she had the privilege of studying oboe and English horn with Carolyn Hove. Her Bachelor's Degree, also in Oboe Performance, is from the Hartt School of Music of the University of Hartford in West Hartford, Connecticut. While there she studied with oboist Humbert Lucarelli.
Grace has extensive experience teaching private and group lessons, including lessons in Piano, English Horn and reed making. Her students have gone on to win scholarships and place in honor orchestras. Currently, her students hold the top spots in nTyme's (North Torrance Youth Musicians Ensemble) Chamber Orchestra.
Locally, Grace has performed with the Dana Point Symphony, Symphony Irvine, as well as other groups around Southern California. Previously, she was a long time member of the Cheshire Symphony.
Whether you choose to take lessons online, in my studio in Long Beach, or in your home, I strive to make each lesson engaging, informative, and fun! Students are expected to practice in-between lessons and come to lessons prepared with their instrument and music. I also encourage students to bring any music that they're interested in learning to their lessons.
Currently, I'm traveling to the Southbay area on Tuesdays and Thursdays only. I'm traveling to the Fullerton/North Orange County area on Wednesdays only. If you reside within those areas and the time you'd like isn't in my availability, please let me know, as I may be able to make it work (depending on location). If you reside outside these areas, or are looking for an alternative lesson day, please contact me before booking lessons.
I don't offer traditional group lessons, as I've found they slow down the progress of both students and therefore aren't cost effective. Arrangements can be made for students that would like back to back lessons instead. Please contact me for more information before booking lessons.
Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have, and I can't wait to meet you!
Make and sell quality handmade oboe reeds. Reeds are available for sale through the Gem Reeds store on Etsy.
Gem Reeds was started with the mission to help make high quality affordable reeds accessible to students of every level. Each reed is hand made from start to finish, ensuring that each reed is made to precise specifications.
Three levels of reed are available, for the beginning student to the professional. Gem Reeds are always tied on 47mm brass staples with cane shaped using a Samson+1 shape.
● Provide private oboe instruction to elementary to high school students. Students have gone on to participate in honor bands, win scholarships, and study music in college.
● Analyze and resolve playing issues quickly and efficiently. Effective and efficient practice techniques are a major part of each lesson.
● Provide students with skills that transcend their instrument, and music itself. Math, language, and creative story telling are incorporated into lessons. Each exercise is broken down into its elementary elements, and once each element is mastered, the exercise is reassembled from the ground up.
● Acknowledge that each student is unique, and approach each issue in their playing differently. Tailor how each issue is approached and resolved, based on individual learning style and previous experiences.
● Provide private lessons on oboe, english horn, piano, and reed making to students of all ages and abilities.
● Provide lessons in studio, in student's homes, and online.
● Work with oboe students of all ages and levels to improve their playing.
● Work with beginning piano students to gain a firm foundation on the instrument. Focus on note-reading, rhythm, and technique.
● Provided private and group oboe lessons to elementary thru high school students
● Led weekly group reed making classes. By the end of the year, students were routinely making their own reeds.
● Helped coach the woodwind chamber music class.
● Led a seminar class of 20-30 students.
● Created and executed lesson plans based on lecture progress.
Madeleine Dring's Three Piece Suite
Phi Beta Delta, founded at California State University, Long Beach in 1986, was established as an organization in 1987 with 38 chartered chapters, many of which had existed for a considerable time previously at the local level. It is the first honor society dedicated to recognizing scholarly achievement in international education. As of December of 2012, 192 chapters have been chartered.
In 1897 at the University of Maine, ten senior students, two faculty members, and the school president created an honor society that was different from the few others then in existence-one that recognized and honored excellence in all academic disciplines. Under the leadership of undergraduate student Marcus L. Urann, the group formed the Lambda Sigma Eta Society, which was later renamed Phi Kappa Phi from the initial letters of the Greek words forming its adopted motto: Philosophìa Krateìto Photôn, "Let the love of learning rule humanity." Phi Kappa Phi's mission is "To recognize and promote academic excellence in all fields of higher education and to engage the community of scholars in service to others."