- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I love to sing, and I love to teach. Private lessons are a great place for both. Whether you're already passionate about music, or just dipping your feet in the water, I can personalize lessons to meet your needs. For me, seeing a student grow as a musician is a reward in itself. But the biggest rewards should be yours: a stronger voice, a deeper understanding of music, a whole body involved in making music, an enjoyable effort, and a growing independence to handle musical and technical difficulties over time.
I am an experienced tenor vocalist, with over 11 years of private vocal study, a BA in music from Williams College, and further study in vocal pedagogy (how to teach voice) with a Longy professor. I sing currently with the Cantata Singers, Labyrinth Choir, Stämbandet, MetroWest Choral Artists, Terpsichore, . I have taught voice on faculty at Camp Encore/Coda, music composition with Classroom Cantatas, and private voice lessons out of my home studio, currently in Somerville. I've also taught for 2 after school programs and 3 summer camps. I've studied piano, both classical and jazz, for a total of 15 years. I have studied a variety of musical topics at college, from theory and composition to singing and conducting, to music technology, recording and engineering. I've performed and directed in diverse styles ranging from early music to broadway musicals, jazz to classic rock, American to Swedish.
*** Lesson Details ***
Your voice is simultaneously the most natural, intuitive instrument we know, and among the most complex. Every person's voice is unique, so lessons are not about fitting your voice to some imagined ideal. Rather, lessons are an opportunity to learn how to utilize your strengths, minimize your weaknesses, while maintaining your own unique sound.
You'll learn how to:
- Use your breath effectively to support your voice.
- Reduce tension, to keep your voice healthy and help your voice last longer.
- Make more sound with less muscle work, through resonance.
- Involve your whole body, to produce a fuller sound.
- Make good artistic choices, which reflect your own unique perspective.
...and much more, according to your goals.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Studio room with full weighted keyboard and seating for parents.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can reliably reach students 5 miles away, traveling by bike or public transit depending on the student's location.
I prefer students to have a piano or keyboard, though we can work without one if necessary. My keyboard is too bulky to be carried around for each lesson. If a keyboard is not available, we can work without one, and I will bring a tuning fork for starting pitches.
*** Specialties ***
I sing in a variety of styles, including classical, broadway, and jazz, both sacred and secular, from around the world. I have extensive knowledge of music theory, and 15 years experience as a pianist. Although I do not currently teach piano, my ability to accompany vocalists during lessons is very helpful for students.
· Singing · In studio I have learned a lot from Dan in a short time, and I feel like I've made a lot of improvement. He is also very friendly and a patient teacher. Thank you Dan!
· Singing · In studio Excellent teacher! I've only had a few lessons and I've already learned a ton, I feel like I'm improving quickly. Thank you Daniel!
· Jazz Voice · In studio Daniel is an excellent teacher. He is an experienced trainer and satisfies your specific needs and interests.
· · Voice Lessons
Daniel R is absolutely a terrific instructor. He provides clear, concise instructions. His use of voice exercises are extremely helpful and if not correctly done, he changes them for comfort. He does reuse the exercises the next visit so you, the student, are eventually able to grasp them comfortably. His skillful playing is terrific also, when improvising music. He is highly knowledgeable and very helpful.