Take harp lessons from a GRAMMY® Award winner! Anne has some 30 years of performance and teaching experience and would love to help you get started learning to play the harp, or help you continue on your harp adventures if you have had some previous lessons and experience. And, you can now take lessons from Anne no matter where you live in the world through a webcam and TakeLessons.com!!
Here is what Anne can help you learn:
Proper hand technique
Sight reading skills
Repertoire building-Learning Celtic, Classical, Renaissance, Folk, and all kinds of tunes
Arranging music for the harp
And much more!
Anne studied music theory and received her formal music education at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). When the Celtic harp piqued her interest, she studied harp techniques from world-renowned harpist Sylvia Woods and later contributed to her book: Music Theory & Arranging Techniques for Folk Harps. Anne is an active member of the American String Teacher's Association.
Take lessons online at her studio in South Lake Tahoe, California, or in in Placerville, California.
Do I need to have any musical experience to learn to play the Celtic harp?
It's not necessary to have any prior musical background before embarking on harp lessons. If you have never taken up an instrument before, Anne will teach you harp technique and how to read music, too. It's a plus if you have some past musical experience, because you'll already know the rudiments of reading sheet music. Anne teaches from ages 7 and up. If your child is younger than 7 and anxious to play the harp, get them started on the piano first. This way, when they come to Anne at an older age, they will already know how to read music (harp sheet music and piano sheet music look alike).
Is the harp difficult to learn?
It's no more difficult to learn than any other instrument. If you really want to learn and you practice, you'll learn quickly. It's all about motivation.
Do I need to own a harp to learn to play?
For online lessons, you'll need to have your own harp. You can also buy a harp from Anne. She uses Triplett Harps as rentals and can help you get started on a rent-to-own harp, and is an authorized dealer if you decide you want to purchase a harp in the future. (Note: Anne only rents to students taking lessons from her in her studio. Rentals are not available to students taking online lessons.)
What does Anne teach?
Anne assesses your goals and your experience before designing a learning path that is right for you. For this reason, her lessons are always one-on-one and not taught in a group fashion. Of course, parents are welcome to sit in on their child's lesson.
What is Anne's experience?
Anne studied music theory and received her formal music education at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). When the Celtic harp piqued her interest, she studied harp techniques from world-renowned harpist Sylvia Woods and later contributed to her book Music Theory & Arranging Techniques for Folk Harps. Anne also studied professional stage performance with Ed Hooks (San Francisco, CA) and at the Living History Centre (Novato, CA). Anne applied her formal training to teaching music for the Los Angeles Unified School District. She continues to work with students presenting educational demonstrations for school assemblies. Anne has given workshops to students in the Sacramento Waldorf School, El Dorado Union School District, Merced Union High School District, and Minden Elementary School. She has taught harp since 1987, offering educational demonstrations, focused workshops, and taking on private students. She performed on the 2015 GRAMMY® Award Winning Best New Age Album, "Winds of Samsara".
Celebrating music through the GRAMMY Awards for more than 50 years, The Recording Academy continues its rich legacy and ongoing growth as the premier outlet for honoring achievements in the recording arts and supporting the music community.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
The American String Teachers Association, founded more than 60 years ago, is a membership organization for string and orchestra teachers and players, helping them to develop and refine their careers. ASTA's members range from budding student teachers to artist-status performers. The organization provides a vast array of services, including instrument insurance, an award-winning scholarly journal, discounts on publications and resources, annual professional development opportunities, and access to collegial network of colleagues throughout the string profession.
Founded by Roland L. Robinson, a harpmaker in Mt. Laguna, California, the International Society of Folk Harpers and Craftsmen (ISFHC) was intended to meet the needs of the individual folk harper and builder for communication with his or her fellow artists.
It began in 1980 out of the readership of the Folk Harp Journal and in 1985 it became a California nonprofit corporation. Today, with a yearly membership of almost sixteen hundred, it provides a focus for folk harp activities worldwide.
· Harp · Online Anne is a marvelous teacher! She is wonderful and PROMPT in her communication, follow up and lesson sessions. She genuinely exudes joy in her teaching methods, is clear in her instruction and seems to honestly love my kids. We couldn't be happier with our choice in instructors.
· Harp · In studio Mrs Roos has been a kind, patient and gentle teacher with my two daughters. You will enjoy taking lessons from her as she has a wealth of experience to glean from and is an encouragement.
Mrs. Laureen Dodgson
· Harp · Online Great online lessons. When I finally admitted that I needed a teacher in trying to learn the harp I am so glad I found Anne. We can even meet in person when I visit family in California. Now I am finally progressing in both my musical ability and my technique. Thanks Anne.
· Harp · In studio I started lessons with Anne as a beginner harp student with about a year of prior experience. Anne helped me to get through Sylvia Wood's "Teach Yourself" book and I am now at an intermediate level. Lessons were enjoyable and relaxed while still being focused and informative. I am very happy with the progress I have made with Anne and would recommend her as a teacher.
· Harp · In studio I'm the person Fred is referring to. I have Anne to thank for making my dream of learning to play the harp a reality. I rented a harp from Anne and took lessons every 2 weeks. Her lessons were progressive making it easy to learn the next step (as long as I practiced). Soon I was playing real songs! Anne was patient, understanding, and knowledgeable not only about playing the harp and proper technique, but also about feeding and care of the harp and performance. While Anne is a professional (and a Grammy winner), she is also down to earth with a ready smile and laugh. If you have an interest in learning to play the harp, I highly recommend Anne!
· Harp · In studio When I was nursing a patients wife brought in her harp and played. I was so impressed with the soothing sound I asked her where she learned. She got me in contact with Ann and I started taking lessons. Having studied music I learned quickly. Yet I must say Ann is an excellent teacher. She is patient, encouraging and supportive. Clearly she is capable of teaching any one at any age. If you are interested in learning this most beautiful of instruments I highly recommend Ann your teacher. You will not be disappointed. You will also be very proud at what you will be able to learn in such a short time. This is also something you will have for a life time.