- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
As I child I had an early interest in music, dancing and creative things. I took piano lessons and excelled at my chosen instrument, the flute, in band at school. I continued with my music training at Northwestern College in Roseville, Minnesota and graduated with a Bachelors of Arts degree in Music Education in 1992. I worked for 11 years in my profession in various settings before I took a break to start my family. My experience includes teaching students in classroom general music, choir, band, piano lessons, and school plays/musicals. I spent six years at a private school (grades K-8), three years at a charter elementary school and 2 years at a public elementary school. Also, since graduating in 1992 I have spent a total of 18 years teaching private lessons both at Hovland Conservatory of Music and in my home. Along the way I further broadened my background by accompanying church choirs and congregations, playing for weddings, and volunteering to lead childrenâs music time at church.
I love music of all kinds and have a strong belief that everyone should experience the joy and power of it in his or her life. It is very rewarding for me to help students develop their skills as they discover a meaningful way of self-expression using a universal language. Teaching music is something I love to do and I know that fact reflects to my students resulting in an enjoyable experience for them as well.
*** Lesson Details ***
What can a student/parent expect from lessons with me? I can provide my students with a solid foundation of proper technique. This is so very important because you do not ever want to have to unlearn bad habits. I also include appropriate music theory, ear training and improvising for each level. I purposefully pace the lessons to prevent students from feeling frustrated. Instead, I work to generate excitement about the learning process and keep students motivated by their own progress. Furthermore, I am willing to accommodate a student if they have a special interest in a certain musical genre or a personal goal they are working towards. I encourage, but do not require students to take advantage of recital and performance opportunities that I provide.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Large music room: piano, electric keyboard, flute, clarinet, trumpet, music stands.
*** Specialties ***
I have a lot of experience teaching students who are brand new to their instrument. I believe the beginning is a very important time to start building a solid foundation for all future musical growth. I love being able to help my students establish good habits from the beginning and influence the overall direction of a new studentâs musical experience.
I love music of all kinds and have fun playing and teaching all the instruments that I listed. However, the two instruments that I have the most training on and have performed on are the piano and the flute. I would be a great teacher for private lessons to help a student excel in band at school or for a high school student preparing for contests or auditions. Also, I am very patient with beginners and would be ideal as a child's first piano teacher or for an adult who has always wanted to play a certain instrument of his or her choice.
· Flute · In studio I like Amy very much and I think we will get along very well. She is very patient and reminds me that perfection is impossible at the beginning of any instrument learning. I will enjoy having her very much.
· Flute · In studio An awesome personal touch. Just what Maggie needs.
· Piano · In home Avery really liked working with Amy yesterday. She was patient, and really got him to focus on the task at hand. Well done Amy!
· French Horn · In studio Amy's instruction has been very helpful in the progression of my musinc development with the French horn. I highly recommend her to anyone wanting to step up their game.
· French Horn · In studio We only had one lesson with Amy, but I was impressed and I give her a 5. She was very patient with Josh, even when Josh wasn't very focused. I was impressed with how she conducted her lessons, even though her children were home. They were very respectful of our lesson time and never had an interruption. That says a lot about Amy's dedication to focus on her students.
· Piano · In studio Jamison loved his first lesson so much he came home and IMMEDIATELY started practicing for the next one! Amy is an awesome teacher. Both our daughters take lessons from her as well. She was a wonderful presence with the children. She is very complimentary and explains things clearly. Even I learn musical vocabulary and techniques during their lessons! I highly recommend her as a teacher.
· Piano · In studio We have only taken 3 or 4 lessons so far with Amy but from what I can tell she is great! Amy is very patient in our lessons which really shows that she is great with beginners. Amy is also always right on time which is always great to have. Amy is a friendly and kind person and that really helps make the lessons fun for my daughter.
· Piano · In studio Thank you Amy! It is now 2 years since I started piano lessons with you as an adult beginner. I enjoy my lessons and even like to practice! You are a great teacher.
Anyone out there who thinks they are too old to start music lessons - I started at 68 and think playing the piano has actually helped keep my arthritic hands limber.
Go for it!
· French Horn · In studio We enjoy Amy and everything she has to offer us.
· Piano · In studio It has been a year and a half since I (an older adult) started piano lessons with Amy. I get to choose the type of music I play and am now able to play for enjoyment. I am having fun and love my lessons! Thanks Amy!