- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
My name is Tim and I live in Schertz, Texas. I hold a BM and a BME from UTSA and an MM from Texas State. I also studied drama for 3 years at Trinity University. I have been a music teacher for 26 years. I have taught elementary music, secondary choir and college level music courses. I have performed in operas, musicals and plays in San Antonio and I have sung at Carnegie Hall in New York. I studied voice with Herald Stark and guitar with David Underwood. I have led a professional singing group and a professional dance troupe. I have composed choral music which has been performed in San Antonio and entered into international competitions. I have spent years learning techniques to help students sing in tune and learn how to read music. I have experience teaching students of all ages from 3 year olds to adults. I teach students from Northeast San Antonio, Selma, Schertz, Live Oak, Universal City, Cibolo, Bracken, Garden Ridge, Converse, Marion, Seguin and New Braunfels.
*** Lesson Details ***
For my younger guitar students, I use the Progressive Guitar Method for Young Beginners series. This book includes a CD to help the student practice at home. For my older guitar students I use a progressive guitar curriculum of my own creation.
For my voice students I use Pathways of Song, Hall Johnson Spirituals, 24 Italian Songs and Arias, Alfred's Folk Songs for Solo Singers, Carl Fisher's The Young Singer series as well as song materials based upon the student's personal interests, such as arts songs and Broadway show tunes.
For my piano students I use the Piano Adventures series by Nancy and Randall Faber and the Alfred Piano Series. Music reading, ear training and theory is part of my instruction. With daily practice you will see a noticeable improvement in musicianship, aural skills and music-reading ability.
I am also an experienced tutor. I have worked with students of all ages and with various learning differences. I have tutored students in reading, writing, math, social studies, ESL and test preparation.
Through online instruction, I am available around the clock and around the globe for tutoring and music lessons.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Piano, classical and folk guitars
My home studio has glass doors through which one may observe the lesson.
*** Travel Equipment ***
*** Specialties ***
Classical guitar, operatic singing, folksongs, spirituals, music reading, solfege, ear training and sight-singing
I have been teaching for 26 years. I have worked with students at all levels from pre-kindergarten to university. I have tutored students in a number of subjects, including English, Language Arts, Phonics, Reading, Writing, ESL, American History, World History, Geography, Spanish, Elementary Math, Pre-Algebra, ADHD, Dyslexia, study skills and test preparation.
I taught a course at OLLU called Teaching Music to Children. This is a course for Education majors that familiarizes them with various methods and techniques for teaching elementary music.
I directed the choir, taught general music and public speaking to fifth and sixth grade classes.
I taught several sections of choir and guitar to 9th-12 grade students. I took a small ensemble to UIL competition in 2010. It was the first time Southside High School had been represented at a UIL competition in 8 years.
I taught Music Appreciation, which includes elementary theory and an overview of music history.
I taught music classes to students from pre-K through fifth grade, led a choir of fifth grade students, produced programs and directed performances. I have experience working with all sorts of disabilities.
The Kodaly method is a highly structured system for teaching music literacy.
Elementary Classroom. self-contained, 1-8
Vocal Music, all levels, K-12
· Guitar · In home My first lesson, i haven't had any other instructors, so it is hard to say best instructor ever. I was nervous about what to expect, but the lesson went well. Tim is skilled and makes it easy to learn. Aside from my sweating from nerves and unsureness, i feel it was a great lesson and will be going back for more.
· Singing · In studio Tim was very knowledgable and patient with my son.
· Piano · In studio He makes sure the student understand first before he goes further
· Singing · In studio Tim is a wonderful teacher! I've taken voice lessons before and had been in choirs growing up, but I recently decided to get back into singing as an adult. He has helped me to continue to learn proper vocal technique and we've worked on beautiful, challenging songs. Tim has shown me how to finally overcome my horrible "solo nerves" with different exercises - something I thought was impossible! I would recommend him to any singer - beginning or experienced.
· Piano · In home He is very talented and patient.
My 7 year old love taking piano lessons from him.
· Piano · In home He was experienced and very caring for my daughter to feel comfortable.
It was a first piano lesson for my 7 year old and she bragged about how she enjoyed the class. I am so glad that we found him!
· Piano · In home Tim is an excellent teacher. He is great with my 9 year old daughter in her piano lessons. He is very patient, and quite passionate about music. He takes the time to answer my daughter's many questions, and has helped to further her passion for piano playing. She has been taking lessons with him for almost a year now, and has enjoyed and benefited from every minute. I couldn't ask for a better piano teacher!
· Piano · In home This teacher let me 9 year old struggle through piano pieces he hadn't played in month during his first lesson, although I made sure to let him know that my son hadn't played in over half a year. The teacher sat there in silence as my child struggled through the pieces. He didn't give any positive or constructive feedback as my child sat there in silence struggling. He took a phone call during our 30 minute lesson and wrote comments in his notebook, visible to my child such as "rusty" "needs improvement". I was tempted to rescue my son after 15 minutes, but hoped that some instruction would soon take place, it didn't. Not suitable for young children in my opinion. Definitely will not return.
· Singing · In studio Mr K. takes a very solid and practical approach. He has really helped me understand what the body needs for singing. I would recommend him to anybody really wanting a formal instruction and a "backbone" for vocal technique.
· Singing · In studio Great start.