Thomas holds an associates degree in music performance from Nassau community college, and recently finished a bachelors degree in Music Education from Hofstra University. Thomas has also studied privately with many of the finest musicians New York City has to offer; including Martin Wind, Alan Hampton, Mike Frost, and many others. Thomas has extensive performance experience, from Orchestral music (Nassau Symphony Orchestra, Hofstra Symphony) to Jazz Combos and bigbands, as well as hard rock groups, Top 40/Dance, Salsa, Jambands, Reggae, and even Hiphop. Thomas has performed with and alongside many notable acts and musicians, such as The Wailers, Fishbone, Bobby Rondinelli (Black Sabbath, Rainbow) The Deep, Joe DeMaio (Rihanna, The Mystic) Martin Wind, Ken Talve, and many more!
Teaching privately since 2008, Thomas has vast experience not only with a wide variety of students, but also of instruments; specializing in Strings and Percussion. He has helped students achieve excellent NYSSMA scores, as well as prepare for recitals and gigs of their own, and to equal merit has helped dozens of passionate hobbyists discover the delightful inner workings of the music they love. With such a wide variety of experience performing not only different styles of music, but also on several different instruments, he is well equipped to help any student grow to their fullest potential, from young beginners to adult professionals.
*** Lesson Details ***
I take a great amount of pride in what I do, and I am very proud of the results I have achieved with every single student. Lessons are planned on an individual basis, in order to facilitate success for every student, based on their own needs, requirements, interests, and goals.
With me, students will learn Etudes, Scales, Pieces, and anything else they wish to know! (including instrument upkeep, music history, ext.)
*** Studio Equipment ***
Piano, Two drum sets, electric basses, guitar and bass amplifiers, guitars, two double-basses, over a dozen music theory books and music encyclopedias, and a Mac book.
*** Travel Equipment ***
students should have their own instrument for piano, guitar, bass lessons. I can provide a bass for double-bass lessons. I can provide an amplifier for all lessons, though I recommend the student have their own. I do own a travel drum set that can be transported to lessons upon request, but all drum students should own their own drum set to practice and perform on.
*** Specialties ***
I am experienced with Strings, (orchestral as well as electric guitar and bass), piano, and percussion.
I participated as a Student Teacher in POBP JFK High School and Middle School.
I teach guitar, bass, piano, and tutor in Music Theory at New World Music Center.
I have observed and participated as a music teacher in Lindenhurst Middle School, Daniel Street Elementary, Grand Ave Middle School, and Massapequa Ames High School.
I participated as a Student Teacher in East Lake Elementary. I taught instrumental music 4-6th grade.
K-12 Music Education
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
The American String Teachers Association, founded more than 60 years ago, is a membership organization for string and orchestra teachers and players, helping them to develop and refine their careers. ASTA's members range from budding student teachers to artist-status performers. The organization provides a vast array of services, including instrument insurance, an award-winning scholarly journal, discounts on publications and resources, annual professional development opportunities, and access to collegial network of colleagues throughout the string profession.
· Piano · In home Awesome instructor. My son is 7 years old and a beginner playing the piano. Thomas did a great job working with my son. He made him very comfortable learning an instrument. My son loves Thomas and looks forward to piano lessons.
· Piano · In home Having piano lessons when I was very young and trying to start again as an adult, He understood exactly where I was at, what I wanted to get out of our sessions and pushed me to learn and go forward with confidence, in a fun and relaxed way. Highly recommend lessons with Thomas.
· Guitar · In home Thomas is so very patient with both myself and my 4 year old. He always has a smile on his face and seems to truly enjoy what he does.
· Piano · In home Really great with my 7 yr old son. He is able to give challenging materials without having my son loose interest.
· Piano · In studio Thomas is a fantastic teacher. His approach to teaching music is exceptional. If you are dedicated and motivated you should definitely look to take lessons with Thomas. Thanks Thomas-
· Guitar · In home Doug has special needs and sometimes has trouble focusing. Tom is very patient and works very well with him, he really enjoys and looks forward to the lesson and seems to be progressing well. Good communicator and always on time. Thanks a bunch :)
· Guitar · In home Thomas is great. My 5-year old daughter took to him immediately, and while this was only her first lesson I already saw her interest sparked. He's not just a musician, but a true educator - which is crucial for kids of a younger age starting a new instrument.
· Piano · In studio My six year old son just started his lessons with Thomas, and so far it went very well. Thomas is very serious about music and uses his professionalism to take command of the lesson. My son tends to be hyper and may lose focus at times but Thomas was able to keep my son's attention and interest. So far so good!
· Piano · In home Thomas was amazing with my 6 year old boys. He was enthusiastic,, and creative. He made learning piano fun!
· Piano · In home Thomas is a great instructor - and seems very knowledgeable in a number
of instruments. He seems comfortable with teaching kids and works with them