Terry P. is a composer, producer, and a multi-instrumentalist specializing in guitar and piano. He has been teaching all types of people at all levels for over eight years at Axis Music Academy in Southfield, and has taught over 8,000 lessons. Terry has a Bachelors of Music with a concentration in Composition and Theory from Wayne State University. In 2012, Terry was awarded the prestigious Kresge Arts Fellowship in the performing arts category.
This is Terry's bio from the Kresge Arts In Detroit website:
Terry had already started making a lasting impact on the local rock scene â in his influence over other artists and his musical innovations â prior to studying music composition at Wayne State University. Terry has used this classical training toward his goal of elevating the musical consciousness of popular music audiences by exposing them to compositional techniques they would otherwise never hear without listening to classical music. Terry, a multi-instrumentalist, has focused his efforts on the exploration of these techniques in contemporary genres, specifically progressive metal. In recent years, he has employed himself as a private instructor and has started scoring music for film.
*** Lesson Details ***
I make sure that lessons are fun for the student, and that the student is learning material that they like. At the same time, I make sure that my students become well-rounded musicians by teaching them skills in reading and music theory. Lessons are tailored to the student, and my approach varies with everyone I teach. I will fast-track you toward your goal while supplementing your lesson experience with exposure to new things that will challenge you in a fun way. I have learned to play almost every instrument and will teach just about anything, although I am strongest with the piano and guitar. I am open to teaching all ages, all genres/styles, and have even taught students with various disabilities. My extensive training also makes me a good tutor for undergraduate music students taking classes in ear-training and theory.
Beginning students should expect to be playing a handful of their favorite songs after studying with me for a few months, and as well they will have a basic understanding of reading notes on the instrument, and a basic understanding of music theory fundamentals. Advanced students will find that they are continually inspired and challenged.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I provide my own instrument and practice amp. for guitar/bass, the student must have their own instrument and amp. piano students must have their own piano and drum students must have their own drum kit. I can bring books and other materials and may recommend that students buy certain books etc.
*** Specialties ***
For piano, I specialize in classical, and can teach anyone from 5-year-old beginners to advanced players. I can teach any style.
For guitar, I specialize in metal and progressive rock. I can teach any ability level and any style.
Private instructor, specializing in guitar and piano; also teaching bass, drums, ukulele, violin, cello, and oboe. Actively involved in rock band programs, serving as a performance coach and regularly preparing students for public performances- some at such venues as Hard Rock Cafe, The Berman Center for the Performing Arts and many more. Ten years experience, over 8000 lessons taught. Have worked with all ages, ability levels, and special needs.
· Guitar · In home Lex took to Terry in a matter of moments. He is super sweet.
· Drum · In home Good,good,good
· Drum · In home Starting off really well even though Terry's main instrument is not drums he strikes me as being proficient in all of the instruments he teaches. A really nice guy.
· Guitar · In studio I have worked with Terry for 5 years and I have had nothing but a positive experience working with him. Terry always makes lesson fun while challenging me and pushing me to become a better musician. Working with Terry I have learned about music theory, music history, songwriting, and guitar performance. You will be had pressed to find a teacher who cares about their students as much as Terry does. He works to make you the best you can be and takes pride in the fact that he turns out great musicians. Terry made me the musician I am today and I am very thankful to have worked with such a wonderful teacher. Whether you are a serious musician that wants to take their playing to the next level or a learning a new instrument, you can not go wrong working with Terry.
· Guitar · In home Terry is a great instructor. He will custom tailor the lesson to your needs and teach you how to play guitar the way you want. In the year I have been working with him I have learned how to play many songs and made improvements in rhythm, picking, and dynamics. He can transcribe music or help you use your ear to do it yourself. During lessons Terry will discover and correct bad habits
Terry isn't just another instructor that gives you some homework and prays for the best. He is passionate about music and will teach you to play better.
· Guitar · Once you go Terry, you never leave.
I've been taking lessons with Terry for about 5 years now. I've become a very skilled guitar player in these 5 years. Through Terry, I've learned my fretboard up and down, know how to use scales to improvise solos, and especially learned how to play heavy metal. He is an extremely talented musician. Not only does he teach you your instrument of choice, he gives you knowledge of music theory. Not because he feels like he has to, because he wants to. He is in my opinion one of the most valued teachers in Michigan. Go with Terry, you will not be disappointed.