- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I enjoy teaching students of all ages and levels. Each lesson is customized to meet the individual students' needs and goals. I have over 15 years of teaching experience.
My education in music is extensive. I was principal cellist at the Interlochen Arts Academy orchestra in Interlochen, Michigan. I have a Doctorate from Indiana University in Music Composition and Music Theory. I also studied piano and cello at Indiana University. I have a Masters degree in music from Butler University in Indianapolis. My major was composition but I also studied piano.
My teaching experience is also extensive. I have taught intermediate campers at the Interlochen Center for the Arts summer camp as well as at Butler University and Indiana State University. I have been writing music and teaching private piano, cello, music theory, and composition lessons in Charlotte, NC for the last ten years.
My compositions include solo and chamber pieces as well as electronic works, symphonic band works, and orchestral works. In 2004 I won the Judith Lang Zaimont award from the International Association of Women in Music.
I love music and enjoy sharing it with others. So whether you are 5 or 90, or somewhere in between, let's have some fun!
*** Lesson Details ***
Lessons are customized for each student. Weekly assignments will be given. Please bring a notebook to the first lesson for lesson assignments.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I expect the students to buy the appropriate music books and have the appropriate instrument.
*** Specialties ***
I teach in all genres - pop, rock, classical, new music, jazz, new age, etc.
· Cello · In home My first lesson was excellent. Sue was very helpful and pushed me just enough. I'm looking for ward to the next one!!!
· Piano · In home It was a great experience, she made me feel very comfortable while trying to pursue a task that I was clueless about.
· Piano · In studio Wonderful!!
· Piano · In studio Very patient and encouraging. I would highly recommend her.
· Cello · In studio She is brilliant and nice! She have a doctor degree for music from Indiana university.(If you like cello, Janos Starker is one of her teacher when she was in school. If you are sort of person like me who like show out in front of friends, you can say Janos starker is my teacher's teacher! LOL!) She is well qualified for all levels cello players. I took cello class from her. She not only taught me cello techniques, but also music theory which can help to understand cello technique. She always try to teach me how to think and find out the best way for me. Not just show me how she play. I think this is important. I learned so much from her last year! Sadly I have to move back home. Highly recommended for people who want to learn how to play cello!
· Cello · In home It is easy to recommend Sue to anyone as she is a fantastic music instructor. She makes learning seem easy, which is the hallmark of a great teacher. You will find her to be extremely friendly and approachable so you never fear making mistakes or asking any questions; her patience is unwavering.
One particularly great thing about Ms. Sue D.'s teaching method is her flexibility with learning material. She took time to review method books I had from a previous teacher, picking songs and exercises she felt would supplement lessons from the books we normally use.
I have found my lessons to be both enjoyable and extremely informative. When we are reviewing the material from the previous week at the beginning of a new lesson I always have the feeling I've made real progression on the instrument.
· Cello · perfect Cello teacher
Just love the way how Sue makes my 8 year old pay attention to cello techniques without annoying her. The pieces of music she chooses are always perfect, either for my daughter's skills and for her fun. Sue manages to teach music theory right along the way and it is amazing, how much improvement can be realized in my daughter's abilities just after a few lessons with Sue. Thank you, Sue!
· Piano · best piano teacher ever
Sue is the most wonderful piano teacher ever! Always challenging, but never overburdening my ten year old daughter. In addition to piano techniques Sue teaches a lot of music theory, too. And she does this in a way that my daughter never is bored. Sue creates a lesson atmosphere, that is very relaxing and fun, but still purposeful and my daughter is looking forward to every single lesson. Just love Sue.