- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I have been studying and performing music for 20+ years. After majoring in music at College of Dupage in Glen Ellyn IL, I went to step up my level of study at the Percussion Institute of Technology (P.I.T.) at Musician's Institute in Hollywood, CA in 2001 attaining a Performance Certificate from my time studying there.
Moving back to Chicago after L.A. in 2002 proved to be the right move as this is when I began my teaching career. With 13+ years of private and group music instruction experience, I have worked with Hix Brothers Music, Naperville Music, Roselle Music, Streamwood Park District, Roselle Park District, Schaumburg Park District, After School Enrichment Solution's Guitar Stars, Band For Today, Guitar Fundamentals, Chicago Guitar Instruction, Schaumburg Music Academy, Music Makers of Western Springs, Clarendon Hills Music Academy, and also maintain a private clientele. Well into a thousand lessons taught, students have stayed with me for up to 7 years. You, the student, will gain all the experience I have gained from my 20 years of study, performance, and instruction.
Performing with various bands in the 2000's, I pinpointed my style and mastered my technique that gave me many performance opportunities regionally and nationally, noting most current act U2 tribute Vertigo USA.
I am co-founder of the music licensing production company Blue Shade Music, co-writing with astute musicians in the Chicago area for music libraries in Florida and California currently.
With national and international touring experience, I was featured in an exclusive interview for Online Drummer in August of 2011 sharing my knowledge and experience of music and drums.
Thank you for reading, and I hope to have a fun and educational time with you!
*** Lesson Details ***
Practicing everyday with an occasional day off is very important in the student's progress. I always say 10 minutes is better than 0 minutes.
For DRUM lessons, the student can expect to learn:
*to read music notation and music charts
*to read drum notation
*songs by real bands
*timekeeping via a metronome
*hand technique and foot technique
*all styles of music
*drum grooves and drum fills
*marching band/concert band material (if involved in school)
For PIANO lessons, the student can expect to learn:
*to read music notation
*to read music charts/lead sheets
*chords and inversions
*styles of blues, jazz, pop, rock, and traditional
*songs you wish to learn
For GUITAR + BASS lessons, the student can expect to learn:
*to learn to read music notation
*to learn to read a music chart
*styles of pop, rock, and blues
*songs you wish to learn
*** Travel Equipment ***
I provide no equipment. The student must have an acoustic or electric drum set, a practice pad, a music stand, a metronome, sticks, curriculum book(s), headphones, an acoustic or electric guitar, and an acoustic or electric piano.
*** Specialties ***
Rock, Funk, Blues, RnB, Soul, Country, Jazz, Latin, Pop, Metal
**Travel available for in home lessons up to 15 miles pending location, scheduling, and availability. 2 weeks or more notice is required for discontinuation of lessons.**
I currently work with Aurora IL based music store/lesson studio Music and Arts giving private music lessons specializing in guitar, piano, and drums.
I currently work with Roselle IL park district Roselle Park District for private lessons specializing in piano, guitar, and drum set.
I currently work with an after school program for piano with Band For Today in Plainfield IL specializing in piano.
I currently work with Roselle Music in Roselle IL giving private lessons specializing in drum set, percussion, and piano.
I currently work with an after school program entitled Guitar Stars by Afterschool Enrichment Solutions in Northbrook IL specializing in guitar.
In the past I worked with the Streamwood Park District in Streamwood IL giving private music lessons specializing in piano and percussion.
In the past I worked with Naperville Music in Naperville IL giving private lessons specializing in drum set and percussion.
In the past I worked with Schaumburg IL based music studio Schaumburg Music Academy for private lessons specializing in guitar and piano.
In the past I worked with Aurora IL based company Guitar Fundamentals. Founded by Brian T.D. Clark, Guitar Fundamentals provides group and private guitar instruction at schools, park districts, and in-home.
In the past I worked with New York company Chicago Guitar Instruction traveling to client's homes for private music lessons specializing in guitar.
I have worked with Hix Brothers Music in both Aurora IL and Batavia IL location giving private lessons specializing in drum set and percussion.
VIRTUS Training Certificate on Protecting God's Children
I received a Music Performance Certificate from Musicians Institute in 2002.
· Guitar · In home I'm a true challenge since I am very green with little music capability. Great introduction with plenty to work on.
· Guitar · In home My son is enjoying playing the guitar cause of Steve. He is a great instructor. I would recommend him to anyone.
· Guitar · In home Steven is a great teacher! He's flexible, and works well with all ages! He's teaching my 3 kids, drums, guitar and bass. He's very receptive and adjusts his lessons according to what my kids are interested in. For example one of my kids was learning notes, but then the other wanted to learn a specific song and he easily adjusted to focus on what each of them wanted to do to. My kids love him!
· Drum · I took 5 in-home guitar lessons from Steve and loved every minute! I had never played guitar before so we were starting from scratch. We covered a lot of information, tailored to what I wanted to learn, and I felt like I made a lot of progress in a short amount of time. Steve was always on time, well-prepared for lessons, and was very encouraging. I would recommend Steve to anyone interested in taking guitar lessons.
· Piano · In home Steven is very patient with my 5 year old and very good at explaining things at his level.
· Guitar · In home My daughter (8) and I both began guitar lessons from Steve over this past summer to try something new, and we really enjoyed having Steve as a teacher! I found him to be very friendly and easy-going, and was very patient with us both being beginners. He did a great job encouraging proper technique and good guitar habits - the things you cannot just learn from a book. My daughter had never had music lessons of any sort before, and I have played other instruments for 25+ years; despite our different backgrounds and level of musical knowledge, Steve was able to teach both of us effectively. I believe his ability to differentiate teaching style and instructional pace speaks to his overall knowledge of music, of guitar, and especially to his ability as a teacher. I would happily recommend Steve as a guitar teacher to anyone, either adult or child!
· Drum · Our son looks forward to lessons with Steve!
Steve is a great drum teacher! He has been working with my son for almost a year. He is very patient and has a nice sense of humor (which is necessary when training kids).
He conducts a review with my son at the start of each session and offers words of encouragement throughout. After the lesson is over, Steve always confers with me and objectively reviews the lesson's achievements, parts to work on, and goals for next week. Our family recommends him for young and adult students!
· Drum · One of the best teachers around!
I have known Steve for many years as a fellow drummer and educator. We come from the same background as far as schooling and theory's on how to teach students. I have subbed for him several times and have always been impressed with the knowledge and skill level of even students that have been with him for a short time. I would highly recommend him to anyone thinking about starting or advancing their skills!
· Drum · Great experience
Steven is a great teacher. He is very patient and knowledgable. He has a good techniques in Drum and also encourage me to keep learning it. Overall, I like this class and I will continue learning from him
· Drum · Steve is an excelent teacher.
Steve has been with my son for over a year teaching him drums. My son enjoys the lesson with Steve and looks forward every week to the lesson. Steve has great amount of skill and teaching ability. Steve has patients and I believe is an excellent teacher. I observe the lesson with my child on a weekly basis. Steve always interacts with the parent and explains the lesson plan and the accomplishments. Steve also reviews the lesson and homework before the child leaves. I look forward of a long term teaching experience with Steve and my son.