Shurajit Gopal, a professional Carnatic Music Vocalist, hails from the culturally rich city of Chennai (Madras) in Tamil Nadu, South India.
He has had training in South Indian Classical Carnatic Vocal Music for over 18 years from five maestros in Carnatic Music.
He began his initial training, along with his sister, at the age of 7 from his mother Smt. Meenalochani Gopalakrishnan, who is a prodigy in Carnatic Music herself. Shurajit then learnt music from Shri. Baluswamy Dikshitar, Shri. Ramnath Sharma, Shri. Pattamadai S. Krishnan, and Shri. T. K. Padmanabhan.
Shurajit sings for live Bharatanatyam dance recitals as well.
He now imparts training in Vocal Carnatic Music and Bhajans to beginners and advanced level children and adults in the South Carolina Upstate as well as online Skype and FaceTime. His specialty in teaching music is the personalized and customized approach that he has for students according to every student's learning pace and ability.
· Vocal Training · Online My son has been learning classical music from professor Shurajit from the tender age of 6 yrs. He is almost 11. We started with group lessons and now have moved onto to one on one. Shurajit is a patient, knowledgeable and excellent teacher. I highly recommend him.
· Indian Classical Vocal Music · In studio Shurajit is an expert in the venerable tradition of Carnatic music. He takes care to make sure that I'm doing things correctly, whether it is sight reading, pronunciation, counting talam and, of course, vocal rendition. He will never cut corners! Yet all is done in a spirit of joy and respect for the student whatever their cultural background or level. As an adult student, born in the US, who had no prior experience with Carnatic vocals, I find that the challenge of learning this rich and complex music is exciting and fun. I have deep respect for the spiritual traditions with which it is infused. Shurajit is an excellent communicator, he cares about his students, and he enjoys teaching. I highly recommend Shurajit as your first call if you are thinking about lessons for your child or for yourself.
· Indian Classical Vocal Music · In home Shurajit Gopal is by far the best Carnatic vocalist and teacher in South Carolina, perhaps the best in the Southeast of US. I live in Columbia, SC but I drive to Greenville every weekend to learn Carnatic vocal music from him. Although he offers Skype lessons for remote learners, face 2 face lessons is invaluable and worth every bit of it. Shurajit gives his all to a dedicated, devoted student and takes a very personal interest in the student's technical development. He makes sure that the student never goes off key and that he/she maintains clockwork precision on Talam. Shurajit makes learning Sangathi-variations so much fun. Sometimes when the variations don't land on the beat as it is supposed to, he devices creative methods so students are able to pick it up. It's like the American Idiom "there are multiple ways to skin a cat". Furthermore, I admire Shurajit because he is very personable and approachable. If you desire to be an "authentic" carnatic singer, @shurajit is the place to go.
· Indian Classical Vocal Music · In studio my daughter and I had classical training for 4 years and really enjoyed his lessons, we learned a lot of songs and learned how to sing, my daughter being young benefited more and every time she auditioned for a musical , she ended up with the lead role!. I highly recommend anyone who wants to sing or wants to train their voice to consider him, the kids love him and so do the adults -he is a great teacher and wonderful person to know!
· Indian Classical Vocal Music · Online A very good teacher. He gives me great motivation, is always on the positive end of things pushing for higher challenges which makes the learning curve go up in a very short time frame. He doesn't accept anything but perfection and is very patient about correcting mistakes and also in breaking the raaga down to single notes so it is easier to understand and follow. Very flexible with his schedule which is one major reason that kept me going for the last four years. He maintains a great student-teacher relationship which provides a great comfort level and makes the learning not only easy but enjoyable as well.