I hold a master's in voice from CSUF and a double bachelor's in piano and voice from USC. With over 13 years of experience as a private voice and piano instructor I have had the privilege of helping many students achieve their musical goals. As a member of MTAC and NATS, I enter many students in Certificate of Merit, Student Evaluation Program, and other festivals. For pianists, I work on songs, scales, theory, ear training and sometimes improvisation. For singers, we work on a breath-based breathing technique and songs that reinforce good singing habits but that are also engaging for the singer. We also work on sight singing and theory.Though my training is mostly in classical music, I do work on other styles with my students.
*** Lesson Details ***
For pianists, I recommend the Premier Alfred piano course, or for older beginners/adults, we use Adult Piano Adventures. I also recommend purchasing a scale/technique book and a theory book.
For singers, please bring a recording device (phone is ok) so that you may later practice the exercises which we learn in the lesson.
*** Studio Equipment ***
I have a Baldwin grand piano as well as an electronic piano in my studio. For budding pianists, I offer instruction with Piano Marvel software.
· Opera Voice · In studio Very helpful and encouraging!
· Singing · In home Shannon is very knowledgeable and has great suggestions for warm ups. I love that she has a room for lessons, plays piano, and can lead her lessons that way. She sings great too and gives an example of what to sing while coaching. She's a great instructor!
· Singing · In studio Shannon is great! She is patient and gives helpful tips to improve your singing.
· Piano · In studio Shannon is very patient and encouraging. Great teacher.
· Singing · In studio Great teacher!
· Piano · In home Excellent.
· Singing · In studio Lessons with Shannon was probably the best choice I have ever made :) I had no prior vocal trainings and did not understand even the breathing techniques of singing. But she has been super patient with me and has helped me improve in a span of a month (of course practicing a lot on my own time too). Thanks Shannon!!!!
· Singing · In studio Shannon is very patient, friendly, tactful, and flexible. She is easy to work with and talk to and comfortable to be around, especially for someone just getting started.
· Singing · In home Shannon is really great to work with...she is patient and supportive and makes me as comfortable as a non-singer can be.
· Singing · In studio Very qualified and patient. Im very satisfied with Shannon 's teaching style