- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
As a composer I have found it necessary never to stray too far from performance. The shear exhilaration one can obtain through playing an instrument is unique and powerful. I have devoted my life to trying to understand and master this elusive beast we call Music. As a child, of a peculiar spirit, I demanded my parents get me guitar and piano lessons. I felt an instant connection to these instruments and was compelled to investigate. After years of inquiry I ended up attending New School for the Arts, a high school devoted to the arts where I
studied music composition. From there, I went on to the University of Arizona to receive degrees in Music Composition and Philosophy with minors in Mathematics and English Literature. For my Masters' programs I wondered into the world of contemporary composers and experimental music at Mills College in Oakland where I finished my M.A. in Music Composition as well as my M.F.A. in Electronic Music and Recording Media. All the while pursuing a mastery of the instruments that caught my ear in the first place.
I have now returned to Tucson to work on my music and further my education in the field of philosophy at the University of Arizona.
*** Lesson Details ***
I am laid back and playful in my approach. I like to gear lessons toward the interests of the student, and if I am doing my job correctly, all traditional technique will be painless. I also like to delve into music theory to give one a deeper appreciation as well as an understanding and steady grasp of the tools of composition if their heart is so inclined. When it comes to music I am rather eclectic and I feel every style has something to add to the techniques of a solid performer, so I tend to draw from many disparate places to offer a fuller experience. In no time at all, you should be playing pieces you love, understanding how they work, and perhaps embellishing them or writing your own.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Keyboard, Guitar, Amps
*** Travel Equipment ***
Provide: My guitar, music stand, and amp if necessary.
Student Provides: Their instrument (Piano/guitar etc.)
*** Specialties ***
Rock/ Jazz/ Classical/ Experimental
I teach Music Recording, Music Theory, and Popular Music in America courses.
· Piano · In studio Scott is very good with kids and is willing to take the time that is needed to help my son progress at his own speed. He is very knowledgable in his craft and we thoroughly enjoy learning from him.
· Piano · In home Scott is immensely patient and speaks to each student at their level. Both of my children are now learning with Scott and I recommend him to everyone.
· Guitar · In studio Great first lesson! Thanks Scott!
· Classical Guitar · In home Scott is an excellent teacher, very knowledgeable about music & guitar. I was impressed that he took the time to incorporate some of everything that I said I wanted to learn in the FIRST lesson!
· Piano · In home My son has taken lesson for almost a year with another instructor way across town. Scott spent an hour with him and had him playing a piece that was more demanding than he has ever don before. He kept my son engaged and learning for the entire hour and he says that he likes his new piano teacher very much.
· Piano · In home So far we've gotten off to a great start. I'm looking forward to continuing.
· Piano · In studio Scott is immensely patient and clearly loves sharing his love for music. Every lesson is relaxed and fun. As a teacher Scott's focus is on getting his student to love music, what more can you really ask for? I just signed up for more lessons!
· Piano · In studio my son is a brand new student and young. Shit shows incredible patience and always keeps the lesson interesting and moving forward.I'm so glad we selected him.
· Piano · Learning to play the piano as been pleasant and engaging!
When I first starting taking lessons with Scott I had never taken piano lessons or even knew how to play. Scott knows classical piano music very well and introduced me to great piano pieces for beginners to get started on learning how to play. The lessons will move at your pace and the challenge will never be no more than you can handle. Now I will most likely make it a long term goal to get better and better thanks to his help.
· · Older Student
Have had three lessons so far and very encouraged by his patience and knowlege of music. I come away encouraged knowing I can do it. I really do like Scott.