I play and teach Guitar (Electric/Acoustic), Bass (Electric/Upright), 5-String Banjo (Bluegrass and Old-timey), Violin/Fiddle, Mandolin, Dobro, Pedal Steel Guitar and Lap Steel Guitar, Ukulele, Piano and Piano Accordion. I have been teaching in the Pittsburgh area for over 20 years and owned my music studio/store for over 10 years. I have instructional book/cd(s) and instruments for purchase or rentals usually available on-site. I am experienced and friendly. Parking lot is free and off-street.
Music Store/Studio Owner/Operator/Teacher
I teach ages 5-75 years old on the following instruments and styles:
Electric/Acoustic/Bass Guitar (Pop/Rock, Bluegrass, Blues, Swing/Jazz)
5 String Bluegrass Style Banjo (Scruggs/Keith Style); Old-Timey style (Claw-hammer/Frailing)...
Accordion, Mandolin, Fiddle/Violin, Dobro/Lap Steel/Pedal Steel and Upright Bass and Ukulele (Country/Bluegrass/Folk Styles)...
Piano (Beginner/Intermediate Level)
I taught ages 5-75 years old on the following instruments and styles:
5 String Bluegrass Style Banjo (Scruggs/Keith Style); occasionally Old-Timey style(Claw-hammer/Frailing)...
Accordion (Traditional Style), Mandolin, Fiddle/Violin, Dobro and Upright Bass (Country/Bluegrass Style/Folk).
· Fiddle · In studio Great first lesson with Sam. Learned a lot the entire way through
· Banjo · In studio I went into banjo lessons not knowing if I could master the instrument or not, being nearly 70 years old. While by no means a master (and never going to be), I have learned so much from Sam and he has shown such patience with me. I often leave my lessons wondering how he ever puts up with me - but he does. His encourgement, laid-back style, expertise and knowledge of music (plus theory) and the banjo is impressive. His good nature makes my lessons so much more pleasant. I would say Sam is a a great teacher for both a beginner or an accomplished musician or in between. He likes to talk and demonstrate (nice and slowly if requested) so I would recommend hour-long lessons at first.
· Banjo · In studio Four lessons with Sam have been amazing. I had previous banjo lessons and plodded from one song to the next. Sam has expanded the entire scope of music for me. I continue with the lesions and enjoy music much more
· Piano · In studio Sam was wonderful with my daughter. He took the time to show her around his studio and explained some of the instruments to her. He even let her play a few. That helped her relax a bit and enjoy her first lesson.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Sam is an excellent instructor without question! I spoke with him on the phone to get an idea of where I'm at and where I want to be, so immediately when I came to my first lesson we hit the ground running! I am very pleased with what I've learned so far and it's now up to me to practice and have my questions ready to make the most out of the time given (which is the fastest half hour you'll live ) I definitely recommend Sam to any level student who is serious about reaching the next level.
· Banjo · In studio My daughter has never played a musical instrument before and decided she wanted to play the banjo. After 3 lessons with Sam, I am truely amazed how far along she has come. I would highly recommend Sam to any child or an adult. My daughter so enjoys her banjo lessons weekly with Sam.
· Piano · In studio Harlie enjoys her lessons! Sam is a very enthusiastic teacher and helps to keep her focused