Bio as Musician:
Ryan was born on Chicago’s South Side and started playing guitar at the age of fourteen. Born with a deep passion for a broad variety of musical styles, Ryan studied with Grammy award winner and jazz giant Frank J. Rumoro at the Chicago Acadamy of Jazz Guitar. Since that time he has made a name for himself as a teacher, performer, session guitarist, and true stylistic chameleon. With hundreds of live performances under his belt, he has been actively touring the East Coast with several nationally recognized artists since 2014.
As a session guitarist, Ryan’s skill and endless pursuit of unique sound, tone, and technique have established him as a fixture in the Philadelphia recording scene. As a solo experimental guitarist his work pushes the sonic envelope of modern-day technology in pursuit of new and original musical ideas. A dedicated collaborator, Ryan bring his personality and passion for experimentation to each project, while always working to serve the vision of each employing artist.
“Music study was a way for me to find structure, discipline, self worth and expression. Through that I have grown as a person and a musician. My sole reason for teaching is to help others find that passion and those qualities within themselves to live a beautiful and fulfilling life through his/her instrument.”
Lead Guitarist for:
-"The Voice" Country Star, Audra McLaughlin
-R&B singer Ces Picerno
-Rock band, The RAKNOSS
-Hip-Hop recording artist, Drew Smith
-Italian pop singer, Giada J.
**endorsed by Wampler Effects Pedals**
**over 200 live gigs played**
Guest Lecturer at University of Akron, OH "Pentatonic Scales the Western Integration"
Philadelphia Session Guitarist 2013-Present
Featured online instructor via Ibanez Guitars USA
Author and teacher of online lesson videos. "S. Shred Tips"
15 years of Guitar repair and modification experience
Extensive knowledge of guitar effects and applications
2009-2013 Harmony and Theory at Rumoro Academy of Jazz Guitar in Chicago, IL
2004-2008 Experimental Sound/Production The School of the Art Institute Chicago
*** Lesson Details ***
Students should expect a relaxing learning environment that is cultivated to bring the fundamentals of guitar playing to the student and promote individuality in the player through a meditation of self-awareness while using the vehicle of Guitar. Lesson are taught out of my home studio space located in the East Falls/Manayunk Philadelphia!
Lessons are structured around: Finger exercises, Chord building, Strumming patterns, Scales, Arpeggios, Harmony studies and Improvisational chop building.
Some lesson materials referenced are:
The Real Book 6th Edition Jazz Standards
30 hour Guitar workout Steve Vai
The Music Lesson Victor Wooten
after just 3-6 short months, students will see an increase in comfortability with the notes on the fret board, basic chord progressions and single note soloing!
*** Studio Equipment ***
iMac i7 Mavericks
*** Travel Equipment ***
student only needs guitar and Binder for materials given in class
I have amps
*** Specialties ***
Rock, Blues, Country and Jazz approaches to guitar as well as home recording practices
Share tip videos distributed through Ibanez guitars.
class room guitar instruction for students ages 8-17ys
"Pentatonic Scales the Western Integration" lecture.
· Guitar · In studio Ryan takes his time and tailors my lessons specifically to my level and to the type of music I’d like to play. He covers everything from the basics – like the proper way to hold the pick – to more advanced teachings like music theory. Ryan is flexible, patient, easy going, and he consistently teaches at a pace that I’m comfortable with. He provides take-home practice after every lesson and always has helpful suggestions any time I have questions. What I find incredibly helpful is that at the end of the lesson Ryan will run through the take-home practice on his guitar and let me record it on my phone so it’s easier for me to remember. When I’m ready to practice the next day I just pull up his notes and the video and I’m ready to go!
It’s obvious that Ryan has a passion for music, and it shows in his lessons. I would easily give him my highest recommendation.
· Blues Guitar · In studio I have taken my first few lessons with Ryan and so far they have all been awesome!! Ryan is an extremely knowledgeable and talented guitarist, but he meets you right where you are. I feel my confidence growing more and more with every lesson. I look forward to many more!!
· Guitar · Online Ryan's a great teacher. I'd recommend him to anyone who wants to learn to play. He's helped me fine tune the chords on my first song. Plus he can melt faces with his guitar solos.
· Guitar · In studio Ryan is a great teacher! He understands his instrument as well as music. He never finds fault with a student and looks for ways to help you enjoy his lessons. He always looking for ways to make you better, without exceeding your abilities. I would tell anyone looking to learn guitar in the Philly area to definitely check Ryan out. He's a good person and I enjoyed my time working with him.
· Guitar · Online Ryan is ready to teach as soon as our time starts. He is patient and slows things down when needed. The lessons so far have exceeded my expectations!
· Guitar · Online Really good for first lesson. Made me feel at ease and was very thorough with explanations.
· Guitar · Online Awesome experience so far ! Looking forward to many more .
· Blues Guitar · In studio As a long time guitar player coming from an entirely self-taught background, Ryan has done a great job getting me on track to formalize my existing skills and give me new tools to approach my instrument and art. Very refreshing learning experience!
· Acoustic Guitar · Online great teacher, method of teaching very well formulated and individualized.
· Guitar · Online Though I have only taken lessons with Ryan for a few weeks, I am thoroughly impressed. Not only is Ryan very knowledgeable and talented, he is also a very patient and clear teacher. His lessons are organized, he gives lots of material to practice and I fully expect my skill level to grow exponentially under his tutelage.