Rick's been teaching Guitar, Banjo, and Ukulele at his home, and at the Mount Olivet School of Music in South Minneapolis, ever since graduating with a degree in Music from the University of Minnesota Duluth in 2003. He also teaches traveling lessons to students in the south and southwest metro areas. Rick plays around town in 3 bands and also does the occasional Musical Pit Orchestra and Wedding gig. He also taught at Dayjams Rock Music camp in St. Paul for the five summers of its existence. In his spare time he writes YA Stories and Musicals, as well as running a Songwriting and Music Theory Blog about Tonal Trends in popular music, and a Guitar Curriculum Blog based on Karate Belts.
*** Lesson Details ***
Depending on student interest, lessons can consist of Ear Training, Improv/Jamming, learning Popular Guitar Riffs/Changes/Parts/Etc., Note Reading, the Music Biz, and learning about all the cool new Music Technologies of the day. Rick also loves to transcribe any and all music the student wants to learn but for which they cannot find the sheet music or internet tab. Rick prefers to teach what the student wants to learn, but if they're not sure what that is, he helps them figure that out.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Wifi, Computer, and iPhone. I make good use of technology during lessons. Much used apps include Guitarbots, Slow Down Music Trainer, TabPro, and the Guitar Toolkit (metronome, tuner, etc.)
*** Travel Equipment ***
Music Stand (if needed), and iPhone tech.
*** Specialties ***
Music Theory and Songwriting.
I've taught at the Mount Olivet School of Music since its inception in 2003. It's great to be a member of a music school faculty, but I also enjoy operating my own private studio for the times during the week when I'm available outside of the school setting.
· Ukulele · In studio Great teacher! Funny, easy going and went along with me at the right pace. Totally recommend him.
· Ukulele · In home My 7 year old daughter had a great experience with Rick and is looking forward to her next lesson!!
· Ukulele · In studio Rick has a great teaching style that resonates with my son. Highly recommend.
· Ukulele · In studio Very thorough and patient. Seems like it will be very easy to learn from him!
· Ukulele · In studio I am very much a beginner but Rick was patient and very helpful. He put a very useful app on my phone. Now I need to buy a uke and practice!
· Ukulele · In studio awesome at taking amorphous concepts and turning them into lessons!
· Guitar · In home My daughter felt comfortable right from the beginning. Looking forward to more lessons.
· Ukulele · In studio Rick did an excellent job with teaching me how to play the ukulele! Very fun person to be around and also very patient, as I do not have much experience. Will recommend to others throughout the area!
· Ukulele · In home Rick has been doing a wonderful job with our 6.5 year old son. Nice pacing, good at encouraging and reinforcing, fun and relaxed.
· Guitar · In home It has been a great, easy going and super helpful experience. Highly recommended!