Rachel S. is a Lyric Soprano that hails from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In July, she portrayed the role of Mother in Humperdink’s Hansel and Gretel with the Miami Opera Institute. This fall, she recently worked as a Resident Artist with Utah Opera.
Last spring, she completed her Master’s of Music at Rice University, under the instruction of acclaimed voice teacher, Dr. Stephen King. There, she performed the role of Lady Billows in their 2014 production of Britten’s Albert Herring. Rachel made her operatic debut with Rice University in their fall of 2012 production of Volpone as Celia. With Rice University, she was also featured in their scenes programs as Mimi from La Bohème, Ilia from Idomeneo, Rosalba from Florencia en el Amazonas, and Mrs. Fiorentino from Street Scene.
Rachel has performed extensively with the Aspen Opera Theater Center. Last summer, she understudied Sybil Vane in Loehmann’s The Picture of Dorian Grey. In 2013, she performed the role of Suor Osmina in their production of Suor Angelica, and covered the roles of Fortuna and Venere in their production of L’coronazione di Poppea. She also portrayed Pamina, La Contessa, Ilia, Anne Truelove and Laurie Moss in their various scenes programs.
Rachel completed her Bachelor’s of Music at Mannes College in 2012. There, she performed in their Opera Scenes Workshop and their Rise of Modernism Festival, singing Canciones populares Españolas by Manuel de Falla.
I work with them as an independent Contractor
With Utah Opera I did role study and I participated in four educational programs funded by the Utah Legislature.
I did scene work and Understudied a number of roles and concerts.
· Singing · In studio Rachel was great! She made me feel very comfortable and taught me so much about singing in the short time that we had. She is extremely knowledgeable about the human voice in general and teaches about proper technique that will not only boost your confidence but will keep you singing down the road. Definitely would recommend for all skill levels!
· Singing · Online Rachel is the best!
· Singing · In studio Rachel is most excellent, and quite learned in the surprisingly confusing art of singing. There are large framed pieces of paper confirming her advanced knowledge next to the piano, one of which is in all caps so it's super official. She's patient but knows the benefits of pushing what you think your singing limits are, and shows you see the whole process from a different, more helpful perspective.
· Singing · In studio Rachel is an amazing teacher. I highly recommend her. She is very professional and she has boosted my confidence level with singing. Rachel has made me thankful for choosing Take Lessons.
· Singing · In studio Rachel has been a wonderful mentor for my 13 year old daughter. She is preparing her for her high school music experience in theater and chorus. We are so grateful to have found her. I would highly recommend her for lessons.
· Singing · In studio Rachel was incredibly kind, comfortable, and is not afraid to help you with your strengths and point out what needs to be worked on as well. After the first lesson, I've already had an excellent experience to get the ball rolling on how to really improve my singing and technique.
· Singing · In home We love Rachael!!! Rachael is so good with the girls and they are enjoying their lessons tremendously!!
· Classical Voice · In studio Rachel is amazing! She is very affirming, yet pushes you to challenge yourself. She believes in your ability and teaches techniques that are suited to your unique vocal talent and ability. She also provides helpful explanations and works with you to find ways of understanding your body that make sense to you. Very intelligent and caring as well. If I still lived in the same city as her, I would be taking lessons with her now!
· Opera Voice · In home Rachel is not only amazingly talented, she also knows exactly how to free the voice into a beautiful, fluid way. She has so much information to share and you will leave feeling fulfilled and strong. Thank you so much for all your help, Ms. S.! You make singing easy, passionate, and delightful!