As a child I watched from the doorway as my older sister took her piano lessons. From that experience I taught myself to play the piano. My formal training came in college where I received my BA in Applied Music in piano and voice. I studied classical music and opera from a visiting professor from Peabody Conservatory, Baltimore MD. I graduated with honors and gave my Town Hall performance in the Spring of my Senior year. I had a passionate desire to be involved in music, to hear it and to perform it. I spent several years singing with the San Diego Opera Company, performing lead roles in Musical Theater and soloing in concerts from Monterrey to San Diego, CA. While still a student in college, I taught piano to children from the local community, so I have accumulated decades of teaching experience. Nothing brings me greater pleasure than to see individuals "blossom" into their creative selves. Whether it is for a student's own enjoyment, audition preparation, recital performance or ongoing piano or voice development, I am committed to engaging you in an experience of learning and fun. It may be the biggest thrill of your lifetime!
*** Lesson Details ***
I love to have fun. For me, learning is a great source of fun. My goal is to make the process of your learning music fun while effective. I do have high standards for participation. I do not ask anything of you that I haven't done myself. I know, from many years of experience in performing and teaching, what it takes to make progress in a learning curve, Are you excited? Are you dedicated? Are you willing to jump in and get busy? I will give you the foundation of theory and technique to support your performance. I will expand your understanding and appreciation for music in its many styles and formats. No every other week or schedule as you go lessons, please.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Living room - Steinway piano, cathedral ceilings ... good acoustics.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Must have piano or quality keyboard. I definitely prefer piano.
*** Specialties ***
I was trained classically in both piano and voice, but spent many years in musical theater and singing in supper clubs, as well. I am capable of teaching most styles of piano and voice except rock and rap.
Directed a program of fine art instruction including drawing, tone and color study, water color, pastel painting, oil painting. In charge of marketing and enrolling new students as well as ordering and maintaining supplies for use and sale in the studio. Responsible for framing and displaying student"s work in display window and studio interior. I taught as many as 60 students a week.
I began performing in musical theater at the age of four, and continued for most of my adult life. I was also a professional church soloist for 20 years and did many concerts during that time. I have taught piano and voice almost my entire adult life.
Was awarded a designation of Alpha Beta Kappa. the highest academic achievement award for the Computer Graphics Industry.
MTAC aspires to be the recognized leader in (1) Student Programs, which make a positive impact in the quality of music education and in the lives of music students; (2) Member Programs, which inspire quality teaching, the pursuit of ongoing teacher education and member involvement with community outreach; (3) a thriving Foundation, which funds Student Programs and member needs through its investments, donations, and grants.
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
· Piano · In studio Patricia is the best instructor ever! Her love for and knowledge about piano is so inspiring! I learned so much and got so much out of each lesson. She is a joy to be with and I'm truely lucky to have had her as my instructor!
· Broadway Singing · In studio i recently came out of an audition and I sang my musical pieces better than I've ever done them before! The auditioner sat me down at the end and said he loves my voice. He said, based on how much he liked my pieces and how well I did that he would like to extend an early invitation for callbacks for the program! I really have Patricia to thank for that. She has helped me improve my voice by leaps and bounds in the time that i have been working with her and its amazing to get such immediate and rewarding results. I CAN NOT THANK PATRICIA ENOUGH! SHE COULD NOT HAVE PREPARED ME ANY BETTER AND IM SO GRATEFUL THAT I GET TO WORK WITH HER!!
· Vocal Training · In studio She is great! It will be my 5th lesson with her tomorrow, but she has already gave me confidence in singing (at least I can get my voice out more than before without shame), being patient with me, very informative, and gives great advises.
I originally took her lesson because I had an audition for Christmas Carol, and I wanted to at least go over the song I was going to use. Instead, she gave me another song to sing for the audition. I have never been able to get in a show where singing is the main dish; however, after her advise with the new song, I was thrilled to see an email from the casting director when I was chosen to be in the show! I can never thank enough her for this. :D
· Audition Prep · In home We are so very fortunate to have had Patricia work with our daughter. She was very helpful on many levels. Patricia was able to help my daughter decide on what roles best suit her. She picked up on her strengths and motivated her to work on her weakness. My daughter was in awe with how much experience Patricia has in Broadway and truly enjoyed working her. Patricia was always prompt and really gave her all in each session. We really enjoyed having her around while working with our daughter.
Thank you Patricia for all your help! Lauren had her audition tonight and she is very confident. We will let you know how she did next week!!
· Piano · meg21
I am so lucky to have stumbled onto this site and found Patricia. She is everything I could have asked for in a piano instructor. I started lessons as an adult beginner and have really learned a lot since I've started. Patricia has shown so much patience and she also makes each lesson fun. She constructs the lessons to my pace and skill level but also pushes me and challenges me to do my best. I'm looking forward to having many more lessons with Patricia!
· Broadway Singing · Patricia is a wonderful teacher.
Patricia is an amazing teacher. She is patient, kind and extremely knowledgable when it comes to music. My daughter is learning so much and loves going to her lessons every week. We were so lucky to have discovered Patricia!
· · Student
Patricia is a great teacher. She is very instructive and explains things very well. She is a patient and friendly woman. She paces her lessons very well and never overwhelms her students. I would definitely recommend her.
· · Feedback
Patricia greatly helped me with my vocal foundation and she was always very supportive. I would recommend her to anyone!
· · Patricia is Awesome!!!
Taking lessons with Patricia is a very motivating experience. She always pushes me to do my best. She is an inspiring person. She has a drive that sets a bar at each lesson. I always look forward to my time with her and appreciate her knowledge.
· · Singing student
I love Patricia. She is knowledgeable,talented, patient, warm,caring, honest with you to help you improve, hard-working, and just a great teacher!