- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
As a voice teacher and voice coach I strive to help the student get to where they want to be vocally. For me singing is something that brings me joy and I hope to be able to share that with you.
It took me a while to realize how much music and singing means to me. While studying something entirely different at the University of Maryland, I began studying voice and realized that it was something that I had a gift for. I fell in love with singing art songs, jazz and opera arias. And while studying at the University of Maryland, I had the opportunity to work as a voice teacher/ section leader with the women's section of a choir, numerous opportunities to work as a soloist and in a few jazz clubs. I was also involved in dance performances and acted as a dance tutor.
Later, when I was invited to sing in Denver I had the opportunity to sing in Little Shop of Horrors and to sing with a women's choir. While studying at the University of Colorado Boulder I began to come into my own and started to let my large sound free. (Which for me was a process. Getting your voice where you want it and to where it is capable is work. But, it is fun work and you're always happy when you have these great moments where you get to where you were hoping you could and that your teacher said you would go at some point.) It was there, at CU Boulder that I got the opportunity to start singing in operas. While in Boulder I sang in The Magic Flute, Sarah McKinnon and as a soloist or recitalist.
Also, while there I worked as an actress in a theater company called the Interactive Theater Project for three years. I thought that by getting involved in that that I would be able to act more effectively while singing. It was fun just doing something where you're just working with the spoken word. I had a wonderful time with them and learned a lot about character work and what it takes to connect to the words in an effective way.
In the past few years, I have been a soloist and recitalist in the Washington,DC area and has sang opera in Pennsylvania with Center Stage Opera. Last year, I sang with Center Stage Opera in the role of Bertha. I had the opportunity to sing and to act at the Kennedy Center a few years ago. Also during that time, I
sang in Aleko, the Die Zauberflöte as the Queen of the Night, Serena in Porgy and Bess, and
sang in Ragtime and sang the role of the Wardrobe in Beauty and the Beast.
I am currently working as a soloist, a children's choir director, a chorus member and preparing for a recital and auditions in October. I look forward to what the rest of the year will bring.
*** Lesson Details ***
If you're a beginner, I will help you to understand what you need to get through the vocal line with breath and intonation. We will begin by doing vocal exercises and learn a lot about breathing for singing. I want to help you to make more beautiful tones. I will also slowly begin teaching you how to read sheet music and to help you be a more effective listener when it comes to music. I can also help you to become a better communicator as a singer.
For acting, I will help you to learn how to develop characters and bring the writer's words to life. We will begin by seeing what sort of subjects or genres interest you and what you are doing with those words now, and how you can delve deeper into making the world of the characters something more flushed out.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Inside my home studio I have: music, a music stand, chairs, WiFi, a computer, a laptop, a keyboard, a microphone, a metronome, a microphone, an amp/large speaker, and a sofa.
*** Specialties ***
For voice I would say that my focus is on classical voice. I also sing jazz, gospel and musical theater. For acting I have done both improvisational and regular scripted plays.
I have not taught students with special needs, but as someone with a twin sister with special needs, I am open to teaching students with special needs.
I get students started with the piano and theory.
To choose songs for the children's choir to sing in the church, help them to prepare by conducting the rehearsals (and private sessions as needed), become better singers learning to sing as a group and then to direct them on performance days.
Helping to students to gain confidence on stage, to learn to speak well and how to carry your voice on stage, and to develop a character.
Helping students to improve their singing voices, to understand breathing for singing, how to develop characters for vocal performance, how to sight-sing and to work on their understanding of music theory.
Founded in 1944, National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. (NATS) is the largest professional association of teachers of singing in the world with more than 7,000 members worldwide.
· Singing · In home Nicole seems like a really swell lady thus far! I'm excited about the next lesson!! Time to get down to business!!
· Singing · In studio I had a great time at the singing lessons all you have to do is practice and practice and you will become better and it won't just happen over night
· Acting · In home She was excellent-goal-driven and realistic, and very sweet:)
· Singing · In studio Nicole is thorough with her instruction, friendly, and goal oriented. She is interested in truly developing her students.
· Singing · In home Nicole was very patient and understanding with my beginners voice. She was never critical, and she made me feel good about working with her to improve myself.
· Singing · In studio We were very impressed with Nicole's knowledge and experiences. We liked how she took notes, and was able to assess my daughters strengths and weaknesses. She supplied us with printouts and an email with various exercises and songs to practice.
We would recommend Nicole C. to anyone and everyone.
· Acting · In home We had a great first lesson! I really think working with Nicole will build Olivia's confidence.
· Singing · In studio She was very pleasant. She made me feel comfortable and she was ready to work! She gave me homework on the first visit. :o) I am incredibly excited to work with Nicole and am looking forward to my next lesson. Thanks Nicole!!!!
· Singing · In studio Awesome first lesson.. Very knowledgeable instructor.. Can't wait till my next lesson
· Singing · In home She is not only patient and personable, Nicole is knowledgeable on working with shy children. Thank you so much. My daughter is already excited about her next lesson