- Teaches students:
- Ages 7+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
Professional Classical Guitarist & Experienced Instructor
As a Classical Guitar Teacher, my skills engaging students and communicating content are complemented by my knack for improving each person’s performance results. I’m adept at motivating students to practice and enhancing their visualization, memorization, focus and music expression techniques. Through grit and hard work I’ve overcome various musical struggles, which enables me to spot student issues and frustrations – and then develop an action plan. My teaching outcomes are also enhanced by my patience and ability to get along with all types of people.
Expertise: Classical Guitar Techniques | Repertoire/Performance Instruction | Guitar Ensemble | Guitar Pedagogy | Musical Phrasing | History of Classic Guitar | Music Reading | General Music Education | Music Appreciation | Lesson Plans | Computer Skills: Microsoft Office (including PowerPoint and Excel), Pro Tools, Sibelius and Finale
Guitar Instructor, Good Samaritan United Methodist Church of Tallahassee 2014 – Present
• Engage students in guitar and music theory instruction and prepare them for recitals (part-time role).
• Teach students to read music from method book. Use active learning strategies to enhance lessons and motivate students to practice. Choose pop songs and arrange in simplified format to learn/practice specific notes.
• Taught low-income students (ages 5-15) at Oliver Hill After School Program (2016-2017).
• Created curriculum and taught guitar classes at church’s summer camp (2016-2017).
Guitar Professor, Gulf Coast State College (Panama City, FL) 2015 – 2016
• Honed college-level teaching techniques by working with undergraduate students (music and guitar majors) to prepare them for classical guitar juries and senior recitals (fall and spring terms).
Guitar Professor, Chipola College (Marianna, FL) 2014 – 2016
• Developed instructional materials and taught Intro to Guitar class to undergraduate music majors (4 semesters).
• Evaluated student learning and maintained student records and grades.
• Focused on music reading, classical guitar techniques and guitar performance (solo and as part of an ensemble).
• Prepared students for juries and other performances via private lessons.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) 2012 – 2015
• Collaborated with Professor and other TAs to improve learning experience for undergraduate students.
• Provided 1:1 applied guitar instruction to undergraduate students to prepare them for classical guitar juries.