Hello! I'm Michael. Music has been 'my thing' since I found a guitar in my Mom's closet at age 9 and didn't move until figured out "Mary Had A Little Lamb". That's the curiosity I try to instill in my students! Although I started playing trumpet and guitar in elementary school, my music education at University of Texas in SA opened up musical doors I never knew existed! Currently I teach trumpet, guitar, piano, drums and saxophone, ages 6 to 45, as well as play trumpet around town when the sun goes down. I passionately emphasize music reading ability, improv techniques through jazz studies, and a solid music theory foundation- no matter what age you are!!!
Every lesson, concepts are reviewed and emphasized, then we crawl forward through new music, discussing the technique and theory of every piece we play. I've accumulated an expansive library of teaching material to create a very diverse path when exploring the wonderful world of music. I always try to include a classical piece and a jazz piece in the repertoire. Popular music and original compositions are fun encouraged too!
Whatever your idea of music is, we will build on it, playing pieces you want to play!
A variety of instruments are at our disposal here in the studio, including...
Piano & electric keyboard, acoustic and electric guitars, trumpet & cornet, clarinet, flute, upright acoustic bass, 7-piece drum set & auxiliary percussion.
The house is very friendly and comfortable, great with children and families. Lots of natural light! There's a large front porch patio to relax on while you wait with a good book, or you can hang out inside with the siblings watching something on Netflix. I'll even give you the Wifi password ;)
At HOST, I conduct the wind band ensembles, guitar ensembles, jazz ensembles and recorder class. The students range from age 5-18 years old on a wide variety of instruments. We learn all about music theory and techniques while preparing pieces to perform for the seasonal concerts. I love exposing developing musicians to a diverse repertoire of music; from Brahms to the Blues, we play it all.
This is my home studio, as mentioned on this website! See the above sections for info or photos for visuals.
Perform with a various musicians around town as opportunities arise.
I taught piano here a few days a week, mostly to very young beginners. We worked out of the Faber books in preparation for performances.
Played trumpet at Sea World for a few of the shows, including Sol Celebration, an awesome night-show that involved memorizing a ton of music, learning choreography and interacting with guests.
Jazz improv techniques
Private Lessons with jazz faculty
Jazz theory and composition courses
Ensemble participation, Big Band and Combo
· Piano · In studio My son doesn't talk much, but that challenge doesn't take away from Michael being a great instructor. My son loves his piano lessons and is learning so much.
· Guitar · In home My daughter (11) has really enjoyed her guitar lessons with Michael! She likes that he is patient, encouraging, and fun. He has helped her improve songs that she had previously learned on her own, giving her guidance and techniques that make them so much better. We happily recommend Michael.
· Piano · In studio He is so enthusiastic tearching piano. He answers me anything I asked and try to not overwhelming me too. So nice.
· Music Theory · In studio I recently began taking lessons with Michael on understanding more about music theory with the objective of becoming a better guitarist and song writer. Not only the knowledge I have gained, but the overall improvement of my musicianship in such a short amount of time has greatly surpassed my expectations. I would highly recommend Michael to any musician looking to take their craft to the next level.
· Guitar · In studio After just a few lessons with Michael I could see instant improvements in my guitar playing and truly started to understand more and more about my instrument, and just music in general. My lessons are always a good time with Michael and i look forward to each one every week. He's a great teacher and musician and I definitely recommend him to everyone.
· Piano · Afraid to write this review
Michael has been wonderful. He seems very young to this old woman, but his maturity is remarkable. I have never had a teacher handle 'Thias the way Michael does. Somehow he seems to always be a step ahead of his young student and has a distinct ability to keep 'Thias focused on the lesson. Mathias has learned so much in the last four weeks, his playing sounds much more mature and organized and he is enraptured with the music he is making. I have always had to keep an eye on the lesson to make sure that Mathias was engaged. Somehow I do not feel the need to do that anymore. I guess I can say that Michael has given me the chance to relax and "enjoy the music". Thank you, Michael, You are making my dream and Mathias's dream come true.