I have been playing professionally for over 30 years and have taught for over 10. I am proficient on keyboards, guitar, bass, ukelele, as well as lead and harmony vocals and songwriting. My focus is on developing your musical intuition through ear training, and accessing the music within. I have a home recording studio to help with the learning process. I provide a fun, safe, non-critical environment where you can access your inner musician in the most enjoyable way possible.
Many of my students have gone onto become prolific songwriters and musicians and have recorded albums. Even beginners can learn quickly from my method which emphasizes techniques for keeping learning music fun.
My 10th CD was released last year on Sojourn Records and was featured as NPR song of the day. Over the years my music has received much critical acclaim as I have continued to tour the world. I have opened for legends such as David Bowie, Ron Sexsmith, Robyn Hitchcock, Morphine, Bob Mould, Freedy Johnston, among many others. I have produced over a dozen albums by other artists and songwriters, and composed for major motion pictures including last years film, WON’T BACK DOWN starring Maggie Gyllenhaal.
“In a career spanning more than 20 years, he has established himself as one of America's great under-the-radar songwriters. Had he emerged five decades back, he might have been a Tin Pan Alley stalwart, turning out intelligent, accessible songwriting with the clockwork genius of and Gary Goffin. His work is rife with the clever, incisive tunefulness that marked that era.”-- National Public Radio
*** Lesson Details ***
Students can expect to discover or re-discover their love for music and and their own natural musical inclinations. Many students report an increased sense of joy and possibility in their own lives. Curriculum depends on level of student, but is focused on being able to play favorite songs, develop comfort and ease in playing style, and accessing creativity and originality in approach. After 3 to 6 months working with me, most students can feel comfortable calling themselves a musician!
*** Specialties ***
I teach mainly guitar, keyboards, ukelele, and voice from beginning up to intermediate. I try to incorporate songwriting into the process as i find that it speeds up the process and helps to encourage enthusiasm and a more focused effort and better results. I am fluent in most styles but come from a folk, rock, country, pop background. I also have a home studio and use recording techniques to develop style and vocal ability.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Ukulele · In studio Matt is a great teacher and super talented musician! I really enjoy learning from a musician that plays multiple instruments. His teaching method is innovative and fun yet easy to understand. I've taken 2 lessons from him so far and already felt more confident. He is encouraging and can't wait to learn more from him!
· Piano · In studio Excellent instructor. He explained music theory in a way I could understand.
He gave me exercises I could practice at home.
· Ukulele · In home very knowledgable, yet relaxed-,he gave me the right amount to practice so I did not feel over whelmed
· Ukulele · In home Cool cool
· Harmonica · In studio Matt has a wonderful ability to to understand my needs as a beginning harmonica student. We had an email exchange prior to the lesson which allowed me to describe my goals and music experience so our first lesson was very focused and productive. Matt is very skilled at structuring the lesson so that it matched my learning style and I was able to make progress very quickly. I came away learning so much about how to play harmonica that I now have the tools to continue on my own. Matt is a wonderful teacher-friendly, up-beat, enthusiastic and a great motivator.
· Music Performance · In home Excellent!
· Harmonica · In home very skilled, upbeat-good grasp of my needs
· Guitar · In studio Fantastic instructor. I've taken other lessons and when you're learning from Matt you can tell that you're learning from a musician. He's unbelievably talented and is able to transfer that ability to his instruction. You learn things on the guitar that only a musician can teach you...things you wouldn't learn anywhere else.
· Guitar · In home Matthew is a great combination of skilled instructor and cool dude! Even with a beginner the lessons feel like fun jam sessions with him. He knows how to get you playing right away and sneaks some theory in before you know it ;-)
· Ukulele · In home I am so glad that I decided to take ukulele lessons with Matt! He always makes lessons fun and informative. By the second lesson we were jammin' together! Matt took great care to tailor the lessons to my learning style and beginner level.
I would highly recommend Matt to anyone looking to learn an instrument.