Music degree from Lawrence University and Conservatory in Appleton, WI. Graduate work in conducting, piano, and vocal pedagogy at Westminster Choir College in Princeton. Also certified in Kindermusik for ages newborn to 7.
My studio, since 1993 is located in the back of my house and is in a family friendly location.
As my education originally was music education, elementary and secondary, I have gone on to be certified in teaching adults, both beginning and returning. There is so much piano and vocal educational material geared to the pre-school, the elementary, Jr-Sr high and Adult beginner and I promise we will have fun while learning.....
Anyone can learn an instrument and anyone can learn many different styles. Lessons will be geared toward your interests and goals, which we can work on at your lesson also.
The greatest virtues of a music teacher are passion, patience, understanding, and communicating. You will experience this in the studio. Give yourself a treat of two months of lessons and I promise you will be playing and/or singing better than you expected.
Member of MTNA (Music Teachers National Association), NFMC (National Federation of Music Clubs),
NJFMC (NJ Fed. of Music Clubs). MENC (Music Ed National Conference),
*** Lesson Details ***
I am generally easy going and laid-back and will work with you to obtain specific goals such as a piece you would really like to learn. I can be strict if assignments are not followed or if there is no progression; we need to analyze why that is. I use many teaching methods as there are many different learning styles. The series I am currently using are Faber, Alfred, and Celebrate Piano! for pianists. Many singers are in Broadway, Disney, and/or English Reliquary and Italian Arias. There are so many wonderful choices! I can guarantee after three months you will be playing some music you like, and you will be reading music, and able to perform if you wish (starting small). With singing you will have basic knowledge of proper posture, breathing, and increased range. I also so enjoy people and communicating so you will feel comfortable taking lessons, and I believe that is one major factor of success in learning an instrument: the student-teacher relationship And second for children, especially the young, is the parent-teacher relationship .
*** Studio Equipment ***
Studio: Yamaha baby grand piano, Kawaii studio upright and keyboard, Yamaha keyboard, recording abilities, computer software, couch and two chairs, parents can sit in on lesson. Also have computer programs for note learning, composition, as well as giving you apps to download.
*** Specialties ***
Different methods for different students. Piano: mostly Faber and Alfred series. "Prodigy": Aaron/Thompson series. I've also had graduate study in teaching the Adult Beginner! As I was a church music director 1994 till last September, I am very familiar with traditional and contemporary sacred music, learning and performing. If you also wish to combine singing and accompanying yourself on piano or guitar lessons can be tailored.
Full-time including private music lessons, youth choir, funeral choir, contemporary choir, Adult choir of 57 members including high school students that toured Italy, Germany and Austria, including performances with the main event performing as the Papal Choir for John Paul II. I personally performed solo opera pieces as well.
Wonderful program for children newborn through age 5. Ages 3 an under have a parent or guardian along for the fun.
Founded in 1944, National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. (NATS) is the largest professional association of teachers of singing in the world with more than 7,000 members worldwide.
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
· Vocal Training · In studio This was my first lesson. But Mary help me practice certain selections I needed for this coming week. While doing those, she gave me extra good pointers on how to reach certain notes and breathe more correctly. I believe we really accomplished a lot for one lesson. I am looking forward to my next lessons.
· Vocal Training · In studio Mary is very welcoming and makes you feel at ease. She has a great attitude and makes learning fun. She makes it a positive experience.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio The lesson's are going great! And I find myself progressing with each lesson Mary is a great teacher. I am excited to learn more about guitar
· Piano · In studio Mary goes beyond teaching you how to play! She creates an environment of comfort, safety, and no judgement. I have learned so much in such a short amount of time all while laughing and having a great time. She really gets the most out of the time you are with her. I couldn't have asked for a better supporter and teacher!!
· Singing · In home Mary took a systematic approach to evaluating my voice and structured exercises to start me going in the right direction. She did a great job explaining how to breath, what to focus on and how to practice. I have have no doubt that she will have me competently and confidently singing in the near future.
· Broadway Singing · In studio I thought I would be shy singing in front of another person but Mary has made me feel comfortable from the start.
· Violin · In studio Mary is very knowledgeable and personable. She gives excellent instruction and gentle correction in a way that makes you want to do your best in every aspect of the learning process. Mary is also very attentive to your needs and your development as a student. She knows when to allow for the errors that a beginner like myself will make, and when to present challenges that will push you, and show you that your skill and talent are growing. She also gives homework assignments that will help you grow your talent when you're in between lessons, which I really appreciate. I absolutely recommend Mary to anyone wishing to take music lessons!
· · Always great experience and a pleasure to work with. My sons voice has shown great improvement.
· · The "High" Road
Mary is a delightful person to study with. She talks a lot, but I am definitely making progress in reaching the notes I could not reach before. We are having a lot of fun and I feel very positive about the lessons.