My name is Leslie, and I recently graduated from James Madison University with a degree in music education. I've been involved with teaching in various capacities from about age 8 until now, but have been teaching voice and piano lessons anywhere from Pre-K to lifelong learning groups for the past several years now.
I grew up learning classical methods for voice and have been able to translate those healthy techniques to other styles of music. I have most recently performed in operas through JMU and other professional groups, have been involved in their musicals as well as in semi-professional productions, and have enjoyed my time singing in jazz combos. Participating in both performance and education has always been important in my life, and I hope to continue this trend. Not only do I find both settings incredibly enjoyable, but I am a firm believer that teachers should be able to practice what they preach as far as skill acquisition and work ethic!
While voice is my primary instrument, I also offer piano for beginning and intermediate students as well as ear training lessons. While we have fun in our lessons and with music, a certain amount of discipline and practice time is necessary for improvement. You'll find that I'm very organized in my approach for all subjects, as I take the time that you are paying for seriously. I work hard to offer comprehensive lessons that will help you with whatever genre you're learning or skills you're working to hone.
If you have any questions at all- about lessons, your teacher search, or scheduling, feel free to send me a note, and I'll be happy to get back to you as quickly as possible!
I teach beginner piano and all levels of voice to all ages of students.
I taught beginner piano and all levels of voice to all ages of students over this past summer and am currently on staff as a substitute instructor.
I participated as a conductor in the church choir, workshopping pieces for their Sunday hymns and special events performances. I also sang as a hired musician each Sunday.
I worked closely with the opera directors, conductors, and stage manager to write/post/send out schedules and keep directors and students updated about conflicts and any production announcements.
I helped run rehearsals and outside practice sessions for several pieces and conducted with the choir on each concert.
· Musical Theater · Online
· · Leslie is an amazing teacher she was really great with my daughter and she loves her. I wish is was still in our area but all the same I wish her all the best in her new area. God richly bless you Leslie.
· Singing · In home I had a blast! The lesson was a lot of fun, and was very informative! I look forward to the next one.
· Singing · In studio Miss Leslie has really great techniques and has a really nice voice. In only a month, she helped me improve a lot! I highly recommend her for voice lessons.
· Singing · In studio Even though we were only with Leslie for a short time, we thoroughly enjoyed our time with her. She is very patient and has a beautiful voice!
· Vocal Training · In studio Impressive! Leslie started with an interview. I believed this was to get a feel for the students experience and expectations. She followed this with vocal warm ups observing for areas that need work and focused on them for the rest of the session. I'm looking forward to the next class.
· Singing · In studio Leslie is the first singing teacher i've ever had, and honestly i think she is the best. She is very caring and joyful all the time and its very easy to get along with her. I enjoy coming to lessons because i enjoy singing but overall the reason why i like lessons is because she makes it into such a amazing experience. p.s shes the best teacher so if you are looking for a teacher and reading this then choose her.
· Classical Voice · In home She is absolutely wonderful! She is so patient and understanding. She adapts well the the student's needs and really understands how to bring a child's attention back to the task on hand. Super friendly and knowledgeable. Highly recommend this instructor
· Piano · In home My daughter has taken two lessons with Leslie thus far, and my daughter loves her session. Leslie is very patient and you can tell she enjoys teaching. She allows my daughter to express herself but yet refocuses her effectively on the lesson at hand. She is very constructive with her lesson plan. I thoroughly enjoy my daughter's enthusiasm towards her lesson.
· Vocal Training · In home Leslie is supportive, understanding, and defiantly knows her stuff. She fits lessons to my voice and has so far helped expand it.