- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I have been in the performing arts since age 3 and teaching music for over 20 years. With a Bachelor of Arts in Music (voice, classical guitar, and pedagogy) from BYU, I am a multi-instrumentalist and comfortable in many different styles and genres. I love to learn and this love infuses every aspect of my teaching style. My diverse career has included a season in the ASO Chorus under Robert Shaw, playing drums with the indie band Silent Kids, composing the theme song to PBS's Georgia Outdoors and fronting the Americana group Georgia Fireflies!
· Piano · In home My 9 year old son and I have been consistently taking piano (for him) and clawhammer banjo lessons (for me) since January 2014. We go together, and it’s been wonderful tackling the challenge of learning something new at same time. Leanna is kind, flexible, but creates appropriate expectations so that you actually progress. She is also skilled and exceptionally reliable. We believe our son has enjoyed piano and stuck with it because Leanna is not only so good with children but has also chosen a great curriculum that progresses through songs and encourages a sense of confidence, without spending too much time bogged down in hardcore theory. He actually enjoys sitting down at the piano and practicing (usually…). And for me, I started too late and am too distracted with other things to be a great player, but I enjoy the process and love the instrument – especially nights out on the porch. And I enjoy trying to keep up with my son. But without Leanna, I wouldn’t be where I am now. So, would I recommend her to one of my best friends? You betcha.
· Mandolin · Online There is a learning curve to every endeavor, and the two of us tackled the first-time challenge of interacting as teacher-and-student on Skype (for me was added the additional challenge of it being also my first experience of any kind with Skype).
Leanna is evidently upbeat by nature and a positive-thinker, so the hurdles encountered by each of us were readily overcome. I can attest to Leanna's patience and kindness, and look forward to my continued progress under her capable tutelage. Onward and upward!
· Mandolin · In studio I have been working with Leanna for over five years. We started with guitar which I had been playing quite a while but had never pushed myself to improve. She taught me finger picking styles and I was amazed by how quickly I was able to play some pretty complex songs. Then I bought a mandolin and we started from scratch and studied old timey tunes and some classical. Leanna was extremely patient in teaching the very basics. Now we're back to guitar, and I'm currently learning different styles in open tunings. All of this is to say that Leanna is a great teacher across a variety of instruments and genres. (She is also an incredible musician!)
· Banjo · In studio I had never played an instrument before I started taking clawhammer banjo lessons from Leanna about three years ago. Because of her knowledge of the banjo, music theory, and her patience with a true beginner, I was playing my first song after just a couple classes. Leanna pushes you just enough so that it does not get boring but not so much that you feel overwhelmed. Thanks to Leanna I can now sit on my porch and play the old tunes that I grew up with! I have thoroughly enjoyed taking lessons from Leanna and look forward to many, many more!
· Banjo · In studio Leanna's lessons have really helped shape my artistry with many different instruments, not just with Banjo but with Drums, Guitar, and voice coaching. She is a very talented instructor and performer. I absolutely recommend her classes to anyone with an enthusiastic interest in creating music.
· Banjo · In studio I have been taking lessons from Leanna for over a year, and have really enjoyed having her as my teacher! She is very knowledge about music theory, in addition to providing practical and accessible instruction for playing clawhammer banjo. While she does teach some old time tunes, she also teaches tunes of other genres, for those folks who don't want to stick to just old time.