Lauren Douglas, a native of Chicago and former resident of Vero Beach, FL, ﬁts into just about every genre of music with her ﬁddle playing. Her malleability within the industry has afforded her multiple opportunities performing and recording with artists who have styles ranging from Classical to Bluegrass.
Lauren’s latest release, Reminiscent + Relevant, features an array of talent from artists Nathan Taylor, Marc Greenspon, and Maggie Chafee. The eight-track album encapsulates the soul of traditional, Old Time ﬁddle, while incorporating a cheeky, bluesy element. The album also includes hints of Celtic ﬁddle, as well as Dance from the Black Sea, an Indian-inﬂuenced tune. The tracks take listeners on a journey through time, as well as exploring the different cultural possibilities of string instruments.
Before moving to Nashville to pursue music performance studies at Belmont University, Lauren was concertmaster of the Vero Beach High School Orchestra for two consecutive years. She has won multiple concerto competitions within her hometown, as well as ﬁddle competitions. Lauren founded the classical string quartet, Seaside Strings, in her hometown, and folk/ﬁddle trio, Elle & the Rootabega Boys. Since living in Nashville, Lauren has had multiple opportunities to participate in local, multi-style recording sessions and performances. She has played most regularly with local Kansas-born singer-songwriter, Savanna Chestnut, and together they toured Florida last Spring to play the 2016 Strawberry Festival in Plant City. Lauren founded and hosted Jamboree, a monthly jam session for students, as well as ﬁddle video series, Rootabega Sessions.
Currently, Lauren is apart of a classical quintet, a multi-style wedding trio, folk/Americana band, Michelle Knopick & the Screwdrivers, World Fiddle Ensemble, the Belmont University Symphony Orchestra, and most recently, the Nashville-based Bluegrass band, Almanac Ridge. Other notable musicians Lauren has performed with include Belmont alumni, Brave Town, and Kentucky-based Irish band, Feckless Fear Dearg in 2015 and 2016. In October 2016, Michelle Knopick & the Screwdrivers played the Neewollah Festival, Kansas’ largest Fall Festival. Lauren kickstarted her solo recording career by releasing a cover of Natalie MacMaster’s Volcanic Jig in 2015, followed by Reminiscent + Relevant in 2016. She studies privately with Juilliard graduate and protégé of Dorothy Delay, Elisabeth Small, and Grammy Award-winning Tammy Rogers-King of The SteelDrivers. Lauren’s inﬂuences include Hanneke Cassel, Brittany Haas, and The Punch Brothers.
YouTube Channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCLd3u0042m0qFlH0Mfjb2GQ
Lesson Details ~
The first lesson will consist of establishing professional contact between student and teacher. Student repertoire will be determined during this time, based upon current level and initial results.
Lesson schedule may vary, depending on convenience of both the student and the teacher. I will always try to be flexible with your schedule. Please just contact me with interest, and we will figure something out that works.
· Fiddle · Online Lauren has a friendly, non-judgmental approach to teaching.
· Violin · Online Wonderful teacher. Very patient. I learned a lot in my first lesson.
· Violin · Online So far so good! My daughter just had her first online lesson with Lauren and she said she was really nice and patient with her. We look forward to the future lessons!
· Violin · Online Personable, easy to follow and wonderfully flexible. Learning so much!
· Violin · Online She is amazing and very patient.
· Violin · Online She was awesome & my son enjoyed his first class with her .
· Violin · Online I took my first lesson with Lauren last night. It is so convenient to do it online when you live in the middle of nowhere! Lauren took the time to find out my skill level (0) and what I hoped to accomplish with lessons. I was worried I wouldn't be able to play violin because I am VERY double-jointed, but she gave me exercises to tame my double-jointedness and reassured me there are a lot of double-jointed players out there. I am excited to continue on this journey with her! I'd recommend her to anyone wanting to learn the violin!
· Fiddle · Online Lauren is very flexible and thank goodness. She's also patient and more prepared than I was.
· Fiddle · Online Lauren is an excellent instructor. Before we began lessons Lauren spent time asking what I wanted to learn and where I hoped to go with the violin. This enabled her to direct the lessons to my goals. She developed lessons that were both fun and challenging at my skill level. I felt I improved each week. Excellent teacher.
· Fiddle · In home Lauren is so knowledgeable about the violin/fiddle. She has been patient with my young daughter. She's a fantastic teacher!