- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Laura has taught throughout her musical career and loves nothing better than to introduce students of all ages to the magic of creating their own music! As a teacher, she focuses on balancing inspiration and explanation. Inspiration: because if you don’t love your music, what’s the point? And technique: because if it’s easy to play and sounds good, you’ll keep coming back for more!
Laura has a BA in Violin Performance and a minor in American Roots Music from Berklee School of Music, has taught privately for nine years, and plays in several bands. Laura has taken firsts in her age division at several fiddle contests, including the California and Nevada Oldtime Fiddle State Champions, Western Open Championships and top 5 in the National Oldtime Fiddle Championships.
*** Studio Equipment ***
I provide sheet music for new tunes, stickers, and a basic fix-it kit for common instrument issues. I also try to keep backup books and a shoulder rest around at my studios so if someone forgets their equipment we can still make good use of the lesson.
I expect the student to provide their instrument, shoulder rest/end pin stopper, notebook, device for recording music, folder/binder for loose papers, and books. I don't require lots of books - just ones you'll use!
*** Travel Equipment ***
See Studio Equipment, above.
*** Specialties ***
I love teaching oldtime, bluegrass, country and celtic fiddle - most of what I do as a performer fits in along those lines. I teach Suzuki method violin as well. My Suzuki teacher learned directly from Shinichi Suzuki!
I encourage all my students to improvise, to try different musical styles, and to experiment with composition. My goals are to share my own love for music, and enable students to discover their unique musical voice.
I'm currently teaching privately in Asheville NC!
I taught with these folks in the Boston area for a year after graduation!
I ran my own music business for eight years in northern California before leaving to go back to school. Many great students and wonderful memories!
· Fiddle · Online Great teaching! Excellent service with recordings and sheet music!
· Fiddle · In home She's amazing
· Fiddle · In home So fun!! I love it!
· Cello · Online Even though my wifi wasn't working well, the lesson was great!
· Violin · Ok instructor but she was asked to leave
Music academy of Asheville
· Fiddle · In studio Laura, is amazing! I am over the moon pleased. She is professional, knowledgeable, & pleasure to work with. I am a mature student with no music background. And looking forward to my next lesson with Laura S.
Feel she is the perfect fit for my music lessons. Happy, Happy, Happy 😊😊😊🎻🎻🎻
· Viola · Online My daughter (15) had two classes with Laura so far and she loves learning from her. Laura is very cheerful and encouraging, and at the same time, she clearly points out areas that need to be improved and how to practice those techniques. We are very happy :)
· Fiddle · In home Laura is a thorough teacher and teaches with a good sense of humor.
· Violin · In studio Laura is kind and patient with my (beginner) child, which makes her enjoy learning the violin. Her flexibility in teaching styles and scheduling has helped us with our busy schedule. Clearly a talented violin player herself, we feel confident that Laura knows what she's doing in teaching our child.
· Fiddle · In studio Laura is sweet, smart, personable, patient, and has achieved miracles with my daughter. My daughter has a short attention span and is very impatient with most things, and has quit other classes we've tried. Not with Laura. She has just the right mix of patience and encouragement, and it's one of the only courses my girl genuinely wants to go back to every week. Most of that is due to her amazing teacher. Thanks, Laura!