- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am a classically trained bassoonist with a passion for all types of music. I received my Doctorate of Musical Arts (DMA) in bassoon performance from the Ohio State University, and my Masters of Music in bassoon performance from Arizona State University.
In addition to teaching at Grand Canyon University and performing with symphonies and classical chamber music groups all over the country, I'm also a founding member of the band Dry River Yacht Club. We've gone on tours, played music festivals, and recorded 3 studio albums.
I love working with students on an individual level, finding out what motivates and inspires them, and helping each one accomplish his or her personal goals. Lessons with me focus on technical precision while also developing listening skills, focus, sensitivity, and appreciation for refinement and beauty.
I teach private bassoon lessons, coach the woodwind chamber ensemble, and instruct the chamber music literature class.
Dry River Yacht Club is a gypsy-rock-folk band from Phoenix, AZ. A group of friends and I started this band in 2007, and since then we have toured the country, performed at music festivals, and recorded 3 studio albums. Check us out on YouTube!
Active performer and teacher
- Undergraduate bassoon and reed making lessons
- Chamber music coaching
- Bassoon Methods (class for music education majors aka future band directors - basic playing technique and fundamental knowledge of the bassoon)
The International Double Reed Society (IDRS) was established in December of 1971 and is a world-wide organization of double reed (oboe and bassoon family) players, instrument manufacturers and enthusiasts. The society has over 4,400 members from 56 countries. Within the United States, 50 states as well as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico are represented.
· Bassoon · In home Kristilyn is a great teacher. I have only been playing bassoon for four months and she has taught me several things that have helped me to play better. Even though I have had only one lesson from her I know by her instructions I will improve. I plan on continuing lessons with her and recommend her to anyone needing bassoon lessons.
· Bassoon · Online My son has been taking lessons from Kristilyn for about 6 months now and she has been amazing. My 16 year old is always over scheduled and Kristilyn has been more than willing to work around his schedule when the need has arisen. She has also helped him choose appropriate music for several auditions and practice for the auditions. She has stretched his limits on the bassoon with out frustrating him. We highly recommend Kristilyn as an instructor.
· Bassoon · Online
· Bassoon · Online
· Bassoon · Online She was patient and helpful with my son and gave him suggestions to make it easier
· Bassoon · Online Kristilyn is very positive and encouraging, while guiding her pupil to be better. I was nervous about doing music lessons on line, but finding a local bassoon instructor was proving very difficult. I'm glad we found Take Lessons and Kristilyn.
· Bassoon · Online Great first lesson!
· Bassoon · Online I was impressed after one lesson - clear, concise explanations, attention to how I learn (visual, memorization, or through physical learning) so that lessons and instructions could be tailored to my learning style. Encouraging, energetic and profesional. I couldn't be more excited to have her as a teacher and suddenly this all seems a lot less anxiety-inducing and far more enjoyable. Totally banished the bad memories of grade-school music classes, which put me off learning an instrument for many decades.
· Bassoon · In studio Kristilyn was my first bassoon instructor and has continued to be my favorite! She took me from being a mediocre, subpar high school bassoon player to a proficient bassoon player in under a year! She helped me audition and qualify for my high school regional honor band, as well as making me want to continue playing bassoon in college. I owe much of my improvement and love of the bassoon to Kristilyn. :)
· Bassoon · In studio Kristilyn is a fantastic teacher and musician. I have know her for many years and everytime we get to work together it is always top quality and great time. I highly recommend Kristilyn for all your bassoon and music theory needs.