Hi! My name is Kristen and I am a 25 year old singer who loves music. I started my music career at the early age of 8 and haven't stopped singing since. Originally from Monterey, CA I grew up singing with my family. It has always been one of my favorite past times to sing with my dad. My family is one of the most important things to me, followed closely by music! Having been both an instrumentalist and vocalist, I feel it is important to not only know how to sing, but to be able to read music and understand what you are singing. After graduating with a music degree from BYU-I, I feel I have the tools to teach these and more.
Through my years as a musician, I have come to appreciate many different kinds of music ranging anywhere from Broadway to opera to Jazz, etc. I feel this gives me the ability to cater to my student's individual goals as musicians. One of my goals as a teacher is to help you to learn to sing what you love while giving you the correct foundation to build on. Music is supposed to be fun!
I believe self confidence is extremely important as a vocalist. "Stage fright" is common thing that holds us back from reaching our full potential. Singing with confidence makes you feel great, and sound even better. Sometimes it is all that's missing from a potentially amazing singer. I have helped many students overcome this road block and emerge filled with confidence and self assurance.
*** Lesson Details ***
Did you know that people can hear a smile in your voice? Smiling while singing actually produces a different sound that is pleasant to the ear. I want this experience to be fun for my students. That said, however, I believe self discipline is a very important aspect of music. I will encourage students to practice regularly and come prepared to learn. I will usually request that students bring a recording device so they can take home our lessons and practice. This also allows you to hear how you sound during lessons and reproduce(or improve) that at home.
During my lessons, we will cover topics ranging from improving your technical skills, basic singing principles, ear training, sight-reading, to theoretical knowledge. We will also discuss voice maintenance. That said, I feel it's important to get out of the lessons what you want, so I don't have a set curriculum. I tailor each lesson to the student.
All in all, I am a patient, fun-loving teacher who will work hard to bring out the very best in all my students. I will neither push too hard nor be too lenient as we strive to reach the goals we have set together.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Piano and music books provided
*** Travel Equipment ***
I will provide some music for the student. I would prefer that the student have access to a piano and bring a tape recorder and notebook to each lesson.
*** Specialties ***
Although I was classically trained and studied opera in college, my younger singing experience largely involved musical theatre. I have always been told I am a natural on stage. I strive to instill that confidence into my students because confidence really is half the battle.
Private voice instructor teaching a variety of styles and techniques.
· Vocal Training · In studio Kristen is a marvelous voice teacher. She has helped me to open up and perform like I never have before. I really love her down to earth basic approach. She is wonderful for sure !!!
· Singing · In home Kristen is so wonderful to work with. She sees my needs and we work on my singing capacity. Kristen is always happy to adjust on days and times when needed. I love working with her and she is a really great person.
· Singing · In studio We had a great introduction and lesson for our first time. Kristen was very sweet and friendly. She created an atmosphere that induced learning and her instructions were right on for my singing style. I was really impressed I feel we will work well together to accomplish my goals!!
· Singing · In studio First off she has a beautiful voice. She doesn't waste your time in any way, she gets right to it when it's time. She helps you know what you need to do in order to become the type of singer you want to be. She's not only a good singer, but also a great listener and problem solver.
· Singing · In studio Kristen is amazing! She has a beautiful voice and she is a great teacher! She is willing to work with you at your own pace and has excellent exercises for you to practice at home. She has great suggestions for different songs to sing that will help you reach your full potential. I would HIGHLY recommend Kristen for your singing teacher!
· Singing · amazing with confidence
Kristen Has a amazing way of making anyone feel at home and at peace. My daughter loves singing lessons and I truly believe that my daughter has gained confidence as well. This was the best gift I could have given my daughter.
Kristen we appreciate and recommend her
· Singing · Excellent voice lesson teacher
Kristen was an excellent voice teacher for two of my daughters. She helped boost their confidence and willingness to share their singing talents by increasing their knowledge and abilities. She instructed them on how to harmonize and encouraged them to stretch themselves with different music. Kristen provided a fun and easy atmosphere for voice lessons. I would highly recommend her!
· Singing · Clear instruction and flexible teaching style
Kristen was wonderful, she worked around my schedule and was an incredible instructor. I don't have much of a background in music and have a terrible ear. After trying to follow along with the notes on the piano and finding it difficult she recognized that I could hear the sound and imitate better when coming from another person's voice and she then would play the piano note, sing the note herself, and have me repeat it until I got more familiar with it all. Just an a+ teacher!!! I would definitely recommend her for any level of student and would be happy to take classes from her again!
· Singing · Amazing and fun!
Kristen is one of the best teachers I have ever had! She is always in touch with her students and teaches well! I love singing lessons and wish I could do them every single night!
· Singing · Such a great experience for all ages!
Kristen is not only a great person, but also a great teacher! I have learned so much about my voice and I have only been taking lessons from her for about a year. She is also very open and puts you out of your comfort zone (In a good way). Her teaching style is very reliable and consistent which is great (especially) for those who have busy schedules.