I grew up in a household of 9 where music was always center stage. We would sing as a family in different venues and were often called the VonTrapp family. I have enjoyed singing and performing from a young age. I began studying flute at age 8, after scoring highest in the harmony listening exam and began formal violin lessons at the age of 9. I studied all genres including, fiddle, classical, musical theater and 20th century. I have continued to study violin since then and have performed in many orchestras and small groups, such as Honor Orchestra, the Paradise Symphony, the Yuba College Orchestra, Yuba-Sutter Oratorio Society Orchestra and more. I have been concert master and first stand in many of these. I have also soloed in many and have been the first violinist in quartets for countless weddings and other events. I have also played in numerous pit orchestras for musicals.
I have been in choirs and soloing since I can remember. I have performed and soloed in choirs such as the Yuba-Sutter Oratorio Society, CSUS Chamber Choir, the CSUS Women's Choir and more. I have toured to Victoria, Montreal, Ottowa, Oregon and Washington. I have also been in opera productions such as The Magic Flute, Peleas and Melisande and Die Fledermaus (The Bat) with CSUS Opera. I am a recent recipient of the Saturday Club Scholarship, a prestigious award, and have won many competitions (some repeatedly) both vocally and with violin, such as the Tri-County Competition, Young Artist Competitions, and the California Soloist and Ensemble Competitions. Additionally, I have performed musical theater repertoire and have performed as lead in musicals such as Beauty and the Beast and Into the Woods. I have also soloed repeatedly with the Yuba College jazz band and at churches all around.
I have earned my Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance from CSU Sacramento. I have my Associates Degrees in both Music and Early Childhood Education from Yuba College. Additionally, I have obtained my certificate of completion of training from Music Together, an organization which trains teachers to teach Basic Music Competence (both in tonality and meter), and am currently teaching this curriculum.
I have been teaching music privately for over ten years to all ages, genders and abilities. Additionally, I have taught ages 0-5 years in a preschool setting for 7 years and am extremely familiar with developmentally appropriate practices for both preschool and school age, as I am a site supervisor at a child development center with a preschool and after school program. I have had many adult students as well and encourage adults to enrich their lives with music at any age! Additionally, I have experience teaching parent child classes and am familiar with how to teach to the particular needs of each family and student.
I'm extremely excited and looking forward to growing as a professional, both teaching and performing, in both the areas of violin and voice and to be instrumental in your musical growth too; I can't wait to share my passion with you and to ignite your passion for music too!
*** Lesson Details ***
I have been teaching since 2002 and have loved every minute of it! I teach all ages. I tailor my style of teaching to each student's goals and to what works for you. If you want to learn Taylor Swift music, I won't be giving you arias. On the other hand, if you wish to study classically, I have repertoire appropriate for you. I teach fiddle, classical, orchestral, 20th century and more for violin students and have experience with jazz, classical, musical theater, pop, religious, spiritual, choral, 20th century and more vocally.
For violin students, I use the Suzuki method as a pushing off point, a tried and true method used in many countries across the world, though I have other repertoire including fiddle, orchestra, small ensemble, solo, concertos, Christmas, and more. For vocalist, I start with the book, Adventures in Singing. I also have warm ups and exercises to keep you vocally healthy. I will teach you anything you want to learn! I also teach how to read music, theory and harmony, depending on your interest and tailored to your current skill level.
I am encouraging and knowledgeable. I will meet you at your current level, be that beginner, intermediate, or advanced. My students can look forward to being encouraged and growing through their time with me. I don't have preset ideas about where you should be in 3-6 months, nor do I have a one size fits all teaching style. Instead, I will work with you individually so that you will become the best musician you can be, meet your goals, and increase your enjoyment and appreciation for music.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Lessons in open space, upright piano, digital piano, music stands, metronome, violins available for rent, music, staff paper and computer
*** Travel Equipment ***
I expect my students to provide the instrument with all of it's accessories (ie shoulder rest, rosin, bow and case) along with the appropriate level Suzuki book. I have instruments available for rent. My voice students should bring their own music also. I have a piano in my studio along with music stands. Of course, every student must have a pencil and come ready to have fun learning! :)
*** Specialties ***
Suzuki, solfege, art songs and arias, reading music, fiddle, classical, healthy vocal technique and musical theater. I am very good at working with any age.
Give private violin and voice lessons catered to the client's needs.
Teach parent child classes which expose families to an array of different meters and tonalities and gives the opportunity for experimentation with them in order to give children basic music competence, the ability to sing in tune in any tonality and move accurately to the beat in any meter by the time they go to school.
Provide Vocal instruction tailored to the needs of the client.
Give Private Violin Lessons tailored to the needs and abilities of the client.
· Singing · In studio I just finished our new band debut and I must say I got many compliments on my vocals and range. I must give 100% credit to the hard work Kimberly puts into every lesson with focused repetition and many great pointers on taking care of my voice. Her skills and expertise in singing and musical instruments (violin) are exceptional. If you want a teacher who puts heart and soul into every lesson for every student, Kimberly is the one. Thanks Kim!!!
· Viola · In studio She's the best! My daughter started on violin with the school and then moved on to viola. Finding a viola teacher is no easy task! In fact, finding anything for the viola - music, strings, etc ... is difficult! But Kimberly does a great job and got her off to a wonderful start. We are so incredibly happy to have Kimberly teaching our daughter. Do not rely on your child's school to teach viola - go directly to Kimberly.
· Singing · In studio After 3 lessons with Kimberly and listening intently to everything she teaches and spending time on my own with what I have learned so far, the band I am in has noticed a marked improvement in my vocal control and better use of head voice techniques. A great compliment from the pros in the band who have been playing for decades and just took me in last summer. Thanks to her love of music and exceptional teaching skills, I owe this all to Kimberly. I have a long wa to go but I feel more confident after every lesson. Thanks Kim from me and our band members!!
· Singing · In studio Kim is super motivated, musically talented, and an exceptional vocal teacher. I appreciate her detailed knowledge of music and have great respect for her as a teacher.
· Singing · In home Is great at inspiring my self conscious daughter to open up and trust herself/singing.
· Fiddle · In studio Kimberly is a very experienced and highly skilled musician and her teaching style is very user-friendly. Excellent motivator simply infectious smile and approach to teaching.
· Violin · Great Teacher!!!
Kimberly is an excellent teacher and I highly recommend her. She is patient with you as a student and explains things at your level. She is very knowledgable about music as she plays many instruments and has a great ear. As an adult student she had me learn to read music early in the lesson which I found to be very helpful. Lessons are at her home and it is in an appropiate setting. My Lessons fly by as she has an engaging teaching style and she stays focused on helping your improvement from week to week. She is flexible in rescheduling your weekly lesson if needed.I would rate her an A+ as a Music teacher!
· Singing · We have enjoyed and learned so much from Kimberly
Kimberly is very professional and makes me and my daughter feel very welcome. Emily has been taking singing lessons for a couple of months now and no two lessons are alike a she learing so much from Kimberly.
· · Emily has really enjoyed her teacher and singing lesson.
· · Fantastic Instructor! Patient, Assertive, Positive, has an excellent understanding of child development and best practices in teaching children. Kimberly has instilled a love for music and learning. She's the best. Absolutely the very best!