I've been playing music my whole life, but it was as a high school student when I was asked to teach the school's guitar class that I became a teacher. Since that time I've gone on to earn several awards, played in many different types of projects, and earned a Master's degree. You might have heard my music before too if you've ever listened to a podcast, TV commercials, Indy films, or played any video games. My most successful student thus far however, would have to be Jacob Tilley from the rock band Young the Giant.
Not everybody wants to be a rock star though, and there are many aspects to the world of music. During the course of my musical adventure I've played with orchestras, been in rock, bluegrass, reggae, pop and blues bands, classical ensembles and more. I have also had the opportunity to play for celebrities and diplomats. Basically I've done a little of everything and I believe that it is this diversity of experiences that makes me a better teacher. Having worked in so many settings gives me a broad understanding that I use to help you reach whatever goals you might have.
I have also become adept at writing, recording and producing music, studying under Frank Wright of the legendary rock band Chicago. If you have an interest in creating and/or recording music I can definitely help you get there! Check out my chill/downtempo instrumental album 'Night Music'.
*** Lesson Details ***
I can teach you about playing several different instruments, how to write, how to record your own music, and how to get your music career off the ground! As a youth, I was largely self-taught so my inspiration was always to have fun. I never had to deal with the 'homework' style of practicing so I've naturally incorporated that approach to my lessons. My goal is to keep you (the student) inspired and having fun. When that happens you will become good at your instrument and feel as though you 'played' your way to success! As your teacher I will also provide almost all of the materials for free and show you great free apps to help you along with your learning and keep costs to a minimum! I know we will have fun together while you learn and I look forward to meeting you!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Guitars, piano/keyboard, drums, bass, banjo, mandolin, ukulele and a ProTools recording studio.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I provide the learning materials but I expect the student to have their own instrument, be that a guitar, drum set, etc.
*** Specialties ***
Commercial music is definitely my specialty, but I am also capable of doing various styles such as classical, bluegrass, traditional/folk. Just focus on what you want to learn and I can teach it to you.
I've been teaching privately for over 15 years but I've had a lot of experience in music stores as well including Jim's Music, Fountain Valley Music, and currently at Sam Ash Music
Completed a basic course in recording techniques
· Bass Guitar · In home Ken is a great instructor. Easy to talk to. Provides excellent instruction. Perfect for a beginner.
· Ukulele · In studio Ken makes learning fun. He's very encouraging. I can't wait for my second lesson.
· Bass Guitar · Online Had a great first bass lesson with Ken. Looking forward to further lessons with him and getting to the next level.
· Piano · In studio Double thumbs up for Ken. Gets you motivated.
· Guitar · In studio Amazing teacher. Learning made easy.
· Piano · In studio My 8 yrs old son just had the first piano lesson last Friday...he has been humming the melody all the time. You tell me how much he like. :)
· Bass Guitar · In studio I am enjoying my lessons with Ken. He's a good instructor and extremely knowledgeable. I look forward to more lessons.
· Guitar · In home Great lesson...fun and full of new exercises
· Guitar · In studio I highly recommend taking lessons from Ken. I've learned a lot in a short period of time. He has a good understanding of the guitar. Even though I just started playing recently I've enjoyed the process. So far it's been an excellent opportunity for me.
· Piano · In home Ken is a really gifted musician and knowledgeable instructor.
I am happy to take lessons with him