I believe that a good teacher helps students teach themselves. Most of a student’s learning will be done on his or her own at home or in a practice room, so a teacher must give them the necessary tools to succeed, as well as constant support and encouragement. I graduated from the Eastman School of Music with a Bachelor's in Vocal Performance, and from Penn State with a Master's in Vocal Performance and Pedagogy. I have been teaching all levels of voice, and beginning/intermediate piano for almost ten years. I also have extensive experience working with special needs students. My goal is to teach healthy, grounded singing, no matter what musical style my students are interested in pursuing. I focus on balanced and centered body alignment, accurate body mapping, an easy breathing technique, and vibrancy/flexibility in sound. If there is unnecessary tension or problems in these areas, this can hold students back from truly enjoying singing.
I was the general music teacher for all students who attended the school. Most of my students were visually impaired, so I learned Braille and some Braille music. I also have some American Sign Language skills, and I have worked with a broad range of students with special needs.
I taught many of the music and drama classes offered at the non-profit center "Arts for All," which provides after school programs and an adult day program for kids and adults with special needs.
I am certified to teach grades 6-12 in the state of Arizona, and I hold a current fingerprint clearance card.
Golden Key is the world's largest collegiate honor society. Membership into the Society is by invitation only and applies to the top 15% of college and university sophomores, juniors and seniors, as well as top-performing graduate students in all fields of study, based solely on their academic achievements. As an international honor society with more than 400 chapters at colleges and universities around the world, Golden Key is committed to a high standard of scholastic achievement, and an ethos of integrity, innovation, respect, collaboration and diversity
· Vocal Training · In studio Kate is very knowledgeable, and was able to very quickly pick out specific areas where I can improve in my singing. In addition, she has specific exercises and techniques for strengthening the voice and reversing harmful habits, and I found these to be really helpful and effective. I am excited to see the results of lessons with her over the next few months!
· Singing · In studio So fun!
· Singing · In home My daughter enjoyed her first lesson, she thinks the warm ups are fun.
· Singing · In home I was so nervous but she put me at ease and it went better than expected. I would recommend her anytime.
· Singing · In home My two teens really enjoyed their first voice lesson with Kate. Both are already implementing the advice she gave them and happy to go back for more lessons. She was encouraging, kind, and so knowledgeable. Thank you so much Kate
· Vocal Training · Online Kate is SO knowledgeable in all genres of voice/singing. I have had voice lessons since a child, and then as an adult have sun in philharmonic choirs and Episcopalian choirs -- but Kate is able to help me make the bridge from that sort of singing to what I want -- to sing more jazz and folk/country songs.
She pinpoints issues accurately and quickly... with excellent remedies!
· Singing · In home Kate was fantastic. My son (9) and daughter (4) both enjoyed their lesson. Both of them couldn't stop talking about all they learned.
· Singing · In studio First lesson with Kate and it went great. I have zero singing experience and my voice probably sounds like nails on a chalkboard, but Kate made it fun and was encouraging the entire time. She made sure she understood what my goals are before getting started. She's also teaching me more about music theory. Feeling really good about this now and excited to continue! Gave her five stars (never had a singing instructor in the past, but I've had instructers in other areas and she's definitely up there!)
· Singing · In home I was delighted to find out how easy this whole process of getting a specialized teacher that is just a few minutes drive away. The flexibility that this offers is so much needed for everyday people who need other people that have services they can share from the comfort of their home.
Kate made me feel very welcome and was very understanding. It was immediately apparent that she knows her talent. I look forward to learning from her.
· Singing · In studio Kate was very nice and welcoming. She showed me her studio and let me know what she was going to be teaching our novice ten-year old singer. She gave us the option of waiting for my daughter's lesson to finish or come back and the end of her lesson. At the end of the lesson she gave me a recap of what they did, things to work on, music book ideas and some homework lessons to work on.
My daughter had so much fun. The whole ride home she was telling me what they did and she was singing and working on what Kate had asked her to. It was only our first lesson but my daughter can't wait to go back for more. That is a testament to Kate's personality, lesson plan and teaching abilities.
Communication was also a big help. I would definitely recommend Kate to anyone looking for a music lesson.